Re: Moses Suli

Unread post by happy tiger » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:33 am

willow wrote:
Thu 16 Nov, 2017 11:03 pm
Geo. wrote:
Thu 16 Nov, 2017 10:33 pm
the Sheens legacy lives on..

Lets turn em all into backrowers..

I believe Suli's ankle was managed without surgery which is good..High Ankle sprain and they discovered stress fractures which ruled him out for back end of the Year.
Do you really think he's going to remain in the centres long term Geo? Do you think he'll remain quick enough and agile enough given he's going to get bigger over the next couple of years?
If it doesn't affect his lateral movement there is no real reason to move him Willow

Look at the damage a Konrad Hurrell can still bring

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by willow » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:48 am

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:33 am
willow wrote:
Geo. wrote:

I believe Suli's ankle was managed without surgery which is good..High Ankle sprain and they discovered stress fractures which ruled him out for back end of the Year.
Do you really think he's going to remain in the centres long term Geo? Do you think he'll remain quick enough and agile enough given he's going to get bigger over the next couple of years?
If it doesn't affect his lateral movement there is no real reason to move him Willow

I agree, I'm just not convinced Suli will retain his speed and lateral movement if he puts on another 5-6kg of muscle, hopefully he does but at his current size, he won't get quicker if he gains more muscle.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 391 times

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 6:53 am

Suli could be our BJ..but not a tool..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 100 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 7:11 am

Geo. wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 6:53 am
Suli could be our BJ..but not a tool..
Qld have had a few big centre over the years
Mal Meninga, Gene Miles, Chris Close
The has been a bit of a habit of Coaches of trying to play some second rower in the centres.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Russell
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by Russell » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 9:11 am

willow wrote:
Thu 16 Nov, 2017 8:14 pm
formerguest wrote:
Thu 16 Nov, 2017 8:11 pm
willow wrote:
Thu 16 Nov, 2017 8:07 pm
Tacky wrote:
Thu 16 Nov, 2017 4:19 pm
189cm/106kg
What? Didn't know he was that big.
Expect him to be a little bigger next season. Kid only turned 18 this year so he's still got some growing to do.
Wow okay, I thought he was nineteen.
Maybe he is, but at 18-19, he's still got growing to do, not so much in height, but you can be sure he will get stronger and gain more muscle over the next couple of years. This is why I think his days in the centres will be numbered, I suspect his playing weight will end up over 110kg and may impact on his speed. If he works with a sprint coach he might be able to maintain it, but I reckon we'll ultimately see him as a devastating edge backrower.
If he can keep his speed to an acceptable level - he could end up being a Meninga type of centre. Not saying as good, but that bustle/bumping type of centre that has a good offload for players backing him up. Players like Reynolds, Brooks, Tui etc.

We haven't had a centre like that in the NRL for a long time. We should give him every chance imo.

LeichhardtTiger
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by LeichhardtTiger » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 9:33 am

He is gonna be so big we will only need him to play and Josh Aloiai off the bench ... oh ... and Liddle to feed the scrum & be dummy half & hooker.
There are two kinds of people in the world - those that live in Balmain and those that wished they did.

wt00
Has liked: 233 times
Been liked: 73 times

Unread post by wt00 » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 10:34 am

Let's keep him at centre for a few seasons at least. No need to rush him into the forwards imo. Let his body develop first.
The star of the team is the team.

Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:15 pm

Russell wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 9:11 am
willow wrote:
formerguest wrote:
willow wrote:
Thu 16 Nov, 2017 8:07 pm

Expect him to be a little bigger next season. Kid only turned 18 this year so he's still got some growing to do.
Maybe he is, but at 18-19, he's still got growing to do, not so much in height, but you can be sure he will get stronger and gain more muscle over the next couple of years. This is why I think his days in the centres will be numbered, I suspect his playing weight will end up over 110kg and may impact on his speed. If he works with a sprint coach he might be able to maintain it, but I reckon we'll ultimately see him as a devastating edge backrower.
If he can keep his speed to an acceptable level - he could end up being a Meninga type of centre. Not saying as good, but that bustle/bumping type of centre that has a good offload for players backing him up. Players like Reynolds, Brooks, Tui etc.

We haven't had a centre like that in the NRL for a long time. We should give him every chance imo.
I remember a centre from Gerringong who wasn't overly quick but defended well, had that ability to draw his opponent and put his winger away. Problem with WT is that since Korobeite and JAC, our wingers are pedestrian and therefore fail to complement the centres.

Suli played right centre at Balmain and could always slip a pass to put his winger away.

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 100 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:30 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:15 pm
Russell wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 9:11 am
willow wrote:
formerguest wrote:

I remember a centre from Gerringong who wasn't overly quick but defended well, had that ability to draw his opponent and put his winger away. Problem with WT is that since Korobeite and JAC, our wingers are pedestrian and therefore fail to complement the centres.

Suli played right centre at Balmain and could always slip a pass to put his winger away.
ah yes. Mick Cronin. one of the all time best centres. He had a great career.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Tacky
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Tacky » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:55 pm

There you go. Third picture, Moses Suli.

WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

TigerSJ
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by TigerSJ » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 1:47 pm

willow wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:48 am
happy tiger wrote:
willow wrote:
Geo. wrote:

I agree, I'm just not convinced Suli will retain his speed and lateral movement if he puts on another 5-6kg of muscle, hopefully he does but at his current size, he won't get quicker if he gains more muscle.
That's exactly what happened to Lawrence even before he had the major hip problem. Look back at a young Chris Lawrence and how fast he was in his early days - then they stuck him in the gym and he bulked up too much and lost his speed and agility. I don't think Suli is particularly fast even now - not as quick over the first 20 metres as Hurrell or BJ and not as agile either. I'd be keeping him slimmed down and sharp if he wants to maximise his dynamic movement otherwise nature will take its course over the next few years and he'll be huge - they build 'em big in Tonga!

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 2:03 pm

TigerSJ wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 1:47 pm
willow wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:48 am
happy tiger wrote:
willow wrote:

That's exactly what happened to Lawrence even before he had the major hip problem. Look back at a young Chris Lawrence and how fast he was in his early days - then they stuck him in the gym and he bulked up too much and lost his speed and agility. I don't think Suli is particularly fast even now - not as quick over the first 20 metres as Hurrell or BJ and not as agile either. I'd be keeping him slimmed down and sharp if he wants to maximise his dynamic movement otherwise nature will take its course over the next few years and he'll be huge - they build 'em big in Tonga!
Geez, keep in mind he's a teenager who hasn't had years in the gym and doing sprint sessions, and was playing partially injured as an 18 year old. Look at his speed at the end of the year as a guide

Harvey
Has liked: 11 times

Unread post by Harvey » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 4:46 pm

Can he play dummy half?

Russell
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by Russell » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 7:48 pm

Harvey wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 4:46 pm
Can he play dummy half?
He's so young - he hasn't even spat the dummy yet!!!! Lol

Leica Tiger

Unread post by Leica Tiger » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 8:41 pm

Got to give this kid every opportunity in the centres when is then last time we had any quality in this position? I think Masters is more likely to be the one who will makes the switch to 2nd row..

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 9:02 pm

Geo. wrote:

So...syndis-moses suli has?

TigerSkins
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by TigerSkins » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 11:26 pm

Tacky wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:55 pm

Isn't that Esan Marsters ??

willow
Has liked: 12 times

Unread post by willow » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 11:53 pm

TigerSkins wrote:
Sun 19 Nov, 2017 11:26 pm
Tacky wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:55 pm

Isn't that Esan Marsters ??
No, picture on the bottom right is definitely Suli.

Return to “Wests Tigers”