Moses Suli

Wests Tigers Discussion
Boonboon2

Moses Suli

Post by Boonboon2 » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 6:59 am

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... u0lap.html
Wests Tigers teen Mosese Suli signs record-breaking $1.3 million NRL deal

Mosese Suli has just become the highest-paid player yet to play NRL.

The teenager, considered one of the most promising youngsters in the game, signed a three-year extension, believed to be worth $1.3 million, on Friday to remain at Wests Tigers. The deal is all the more remarkable given he has made just two National Youth Competition appearances, neither of which he was able to finish due to back issues.

For most fans, Suli is the hottest young talent they have never heard of. But astute football judges are aware of his potential and were desperate for his signature.

Canterbury coach Des Hasler and Melbourne counterpart Craig Bellamy personally made pitches to sign Suli. However, the Tigers pulled off a coup via an unprecedented deal that also provides the 18-year-old with an upgrade for the current season.

"It's exciting," Suli told Fairfax Media. "In my head, I never wanted to leave the Tigers.

"They've given me a chance since I was 15. They're a great bunch of boys, they're easy to get along with.

Advertisement

"It feels good to get it sorted."

The contract is considered the most lucrative of its kind, pipping the $900,000 deal David Klemmer signed with the Bulldogs before he made first grade.

Suli would have been tempted to join the Bulldogs himself, having grown up as a Canterbury supporter, however, the gun centre opted to stay put and will be rewarded with an Auckland Nines spot despite not being named in the original Tigers line-up for the pre-season event.

The tournament will give fans the first chance to see what all the fuss is about.

"I can't wait to get out there," Suli said. "I just want to make my debut in the NRL this year and make the Junior Kangaroos and State of Origin 20s."

Suli has made the most of the few opportunities he's had to showcase his talent. The Westfield Sports High School product would have been a certain selection for the Australian Schoolboys and junior NSW State of Origin teams if not for injuries that ruled him out of not only the majority of those fixtures but also the GIO Cup and almost an entire NYC season.

Even the man himself was somewhat surprised by his market value after barely playing above SG Ball level.

"I didn't expect this after two half-games [of NYC]," Suli said.

"It's a bit of pressure. All I want to do is get out there and play. It's been good to have [manager] Mario [Tartak] to help me out, it makes it so much easier.

"I'd like to be able to set up my family long-term."

Having won the tug of war for Suli, the Tigers have turned their attention to securing the rest of their off-contract stars. The priority will be retaining James Tedesco, Aaron Woods, Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks, all of whom are likely to attract significant interest from rivals.

The key quartet is expected to delay any decision on their futures until after the season begins as the club decides whether to offer coach Jason Taylor a contract extension.

Moses and Tedesco have just been added to a seven-man leadership group that now includes captain Woods, vice-captains Chris Lawrence and Matt Ballin, Tim Grant and Elijah Taylor.

The Tigers will send Brooks to the Nines as part of a squad that includes experienced forwards Taylor, Joel Edwards, Ava Seumanufagai and Sauaso Sue.

I had been I am sure with lots of others hearing great things about this kid. Perhaps this explains why we have been shopping around Simona or Kevvie as Suli will be the 3rd centre if ayone goes down.

Anyway sounds exciting and while it seems huge money a) I'm sure it requires quite a few bonus payments to get anywhere near that money thatd be based on NRL games and secondly with the cap raising to $10m then this will become more common place - I mean look at the Pongia kid at Newcastle after 2 games he got a crap load more

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 7:00 am

Happy to have him locked up. My mate who's a big souths fan said they were going hard for him.

If the dollars are true it's a massive risk though, thought we'd learnt from these stupid deals on kids who hadn't done anything.

Demps
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Demps » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 7:07 am

That's a lot of money.
He must be alright eh?

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 7:13 am

Does this effect our Top 25 cap? I thought we were scratching around for for $200k because we were over. Looking forward to seeing him play.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Hbom

Post by Hbom » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 7:22 am

Tigerdon wrote:Does this effect our Top 25 cap? I thought we were scratching around for for $200k because we were over. Looking forward to seeing him play.
Was thinking the same. Doesn't add up does it.

25 highest paid players are your "top 25".

The nines just got a bit more interesting.

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 7:40 am

Tigerdon wrote:Does this effect our Top 25 cap? I thought we were scratching around for for $200k because we were over. Looking forward to seeing him play.
My understanding is that we were only $50k over the cap in theory but that letting Lovett go would give us $200k back so would fix our problem and give us some space (same deal if it was Simona or Kev or whoever). What is would also do is provide an extra space in our top 25 perhaps on $100k in 2017 such as Suli.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 7:58 am

Really don't know much about this kid. But a quality centre that can kick goals would certainly be very handy.

GoldXR50Leroy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by GoldXR50Leroy » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:06 am

It's a contract extension so shouldn't affect the cap for 2017, it's for 2018 and beyond.............

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Geo. » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:07 am

Moral...Don't believe everything you read on the internet...

Very good Kid...I find the price tag a tad high...the Wests Tigers way..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

willow

Post by willow » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:14 am

It's a lot of coin but I am happy we have secured Suli. Our depth at centre is not great and Suli offers size and speed, something we sorely need. Looking forward to seeing him in the 9s.

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:16 am

Will he play in 2017?
I will support Wests Tigers through thick or thin
I will be cheering when they win
I will love the Tigers Till I Die
With loyal supporters we will fly
I love the Tigers with my heart and soul
I just love the club as a whole
If the Wests Tigers believe
We will Unite, Commit and Achieve
:sign: :sign: :sign:

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:20 am

He is a weapon and already a very big boy at 189cm and 106 kegs .

shakey4d

Post by shakey4d » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:30 am

Sounds like he will be top 25 in 2018. So expect to see him in ISP a fair bit this year.

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by southerntiger » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:33 am

willow wrote:It's a lot of coin but I am happy we have secured Suli. Our depth at centre is not great and Suli offers size and speed, something we sorely need. Looking forward to seeing him in the 9s.
I wasnt aware he had been named in the 9s team.
Last edited by southerntiger on Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:34 am

GoldXR50Leroy wrote:It's a contract extension so shouldn't affect the cap for 2017, it's for 2018 and beyond.............
Probably does. It includes an upgrade for this year and doubt it would be second tier as WT obviously have him marked as a top grader.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Geo. » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:36 am

southerntiger wrote:
willow wrote:It's a lot of coin but I am happy we have secured Suli. Our depth at centre is not great and Suli offers size and speed, something we sorely need. Looking forward to seeing him in the 9s.
I wasnt aware he had named in the 9s team.
Replaced Kyle Lovett I think..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:37 am

southerntiger wrote:
I wasnt aware he had named in the 9s team.
In for Lovett?

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by southerntiger » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:38 am

Hope thats true. I have seen anything on this and was just wondering what people were basing this on.