Moses Suli

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
foreveratiger

Re: Moses Suli

Post by foreveratiger » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 7:06 pm

stryker wrote:Theres no doubt that he has skill but saying he has done things that 12 year experienced halfbacks have never done is more applicable to the bad parts of the game.

He isnt a dud and will maybe one day make a good running 5/8 but as a controlling halfback he is garbage.
Might have skill but not consistent enough.

What Cleary has achieved in 12 or so games last year as an 18 year old is amazing and can control a game with his tempo ( 2nd year will be interesting).

With the new Cap coming in maybe it's not massive overs for Suli but when your untried at NRL level that is when you are paying overs for Potentially someone being something there not.
He could potentially earn a lot more with certain targets to trigger a higher pay like ( 15 tries in an NRL Season eg).
I've never seen the kid play ( don't even know what he looks like), They must see something in him, let's hope this becomes a Master stroke.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 7:06 pm

I think the writing is on the wall for Brooks. Being named in the 9's squad and not being included in the leadership group are subtle signs that the club isn't as high on him as they are on his mates.

marzie

Post by marzie » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 7:17 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:I think the writing is on the wall for Brooks. Being named in the 9's squad and not being included in the leadership group are subtle signs that the club isn't as high on him as they are on his mates.
Not to mention the coaching staff constant public praise for JLJ throughout pre-season

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 7:20 pm

Brooks is the one who really has to prove his worth,he has had plenty of time....this Suli has as good a hype as what Brooks had....both better earn their high salary...

I will give Suli time to get into the swing of NRL,he is still very green....
Brooks has not really lived up to his hype....he has had plenty of time and now the pressure is on him...

As we can see,there is always some superstar kid coming through the ranks,but can somebody please tell me the percentage of them that come good..????

Jirskyr are you there please....or Harvey..any input will help........cheers...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 7:21 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:I think the writing is on the wall for Brooks. Being named in the 9's squad and not being included in the leadership group are subtle signs that the club isn't as high on him as they are on his mates.
I have no idea if the writing is on the wall but his absence from the leadership group is not a sign to me. Brooks doesn't yet have the leadership qualities to be part of that group. Moses, by contrast, has sought to lead since his first game. That may be a quality that Brooks needs to develop and maybe putting him in the leadership group may help with that (but I doubt it). I suspect they want Brooks to focus on his own game and recovering some of his confidence before lumping him with the responsibility of being a member of the leadership group.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 7:28 pm

I would let Brooks go and groom Papenhuyzen to play 6 and Moses 7. JLJ as an interim 6. Can't see Paps ousting Tedesco and he is too short for the outside backs and too good not to plan for.

Lidcombe Magpie

Post by Lidcombe Magpie » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 7:39 pm

stryker wrote:
southerntiger wrote:
Brooks has done some amazing things in his first few years of grade. He has done some poor things as well, particularly in defence. No doubt he struggled last year to achieve consistency and relevance in games. But Im certainly not writing him off yet. He has still done some things that 12 year experienced half backs have never done.
Care to elaborate on this claim?
Why all the Brooks bashing - give the kid a go

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 7:45 pm

TrueTiger wrote:Brooks is the one who really has to prove his worth,he has had plenty of time....this Suli has as good a hype as what Brooks had....both better earn their high salary...

I will give Suli time to get into the swing of NRL,he is still very green....
Brooks has not really lived up to his hype....he has had plenty of time and now the pressure is on him...

As we can see,there is always some superstar kid coming through the ranks,but can somebody please tell me the percentage of them that come good..????

Jirskyr are you there please....or Harvey..any input will help........cheers...

If you have a look at the list of Australian schoolboys, it seems like less than half have decent NRL careers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... am_players

Hard to tell when you are talking about players rated as possible "stars". At this club I'd say only Teddy, Benji and Lawry.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:01 pm

Masterton wrote: If you have a look at the list of Australian schoolboys, it seems like less than half have decent NRL careers.

Hard to tell when you are talking about players rated as possible "stars". At this club I'd say only Teddy, Benji and Lawry.
How about: Woods, ex-Captain, Dwyer, Nofoaluma, Koroibete, Naiyaravoro, Simona, Moses, Falise ... :D

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:04 pm

Telltails wrote:I've been critical of management lately but while it is a risk signing any young player sometimes they are risks that have to be taken, and I guess thats what you employ your recruitment people for to identify who is worth pursuing and who to let go
My big problem is what happens to young boys who
earn big dollars before they are mature enough to appreciate the privilege.This is what can screw them up long before they even get close to developing a long term career and let's face it compared to most peoples annual salary that is seriously good money. Hope he has got some strong reigns around him
In the article Suli makes mention of the contract money setting up his family which to me demonstrates a level of maturity and responsibility. I liked the young fellow immediately because of this comment,

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:11 pm

Lidcombe Magpie wrote:
stryker wrote:
southerntiger wrote:
Brooks has done some amazing things in his first few years of grade. He has done some poor things as well, particularly in defence. No doubt he struggled last year to achieve consistency and relevance in games. But Im certainly not writing him off yet. He has still done some things that 12 year experienced half backs have never done.
Care to elaborate on this claim?
Why all the Brooks bashing - give the kid a go

Brooks has had plenty of time to have a go,he showed glimpses at times of his hype,but more so showed he goes missing at times during the game and can be a turnstile in defense...

Just remember he is on big money from the get go ...time to earn it and not just expect it from NYC potential....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:22 pm

To offer this kids this sort of money Pascoe and co must be confident of resigning Teddy, Woods, Moses and if they want to Brooks

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:28 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Telltails wrote:I've been critical of management lately but while it is a risk signing any young player sometimes they are risks that have to be taken, and I guess thats what you employ your recruitment people for to identify who is worth pursuing and who to let go
My big problem is what happens to young boys who
earn big dollars before they are mature enough to appreciate the privilege.This is what can screw them up long before they even get close to developing a long term career and let's face it compared to most peoples annual salary that is seriously good money. Hope he has got some strong reigns around him
In the article Suli makes mention of the contract money setting up his family which to me demonstrates a level of maturity and responsibility. I liked the young fellow immediately because of this comment,
Yes. That's what I think Brooks and a lot of other players are missing to take their game to a new level (maturity) . They don't want to give up the grog, diet ect like naiqma doing now. I think sacrifices like this would do a lot for their game. It's such a n elite sport these days.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:33 pm

tigerap wrote:To offer this kids this sort of money Pascoe and co must be confident of resigning Teddy, Woods, Moses and if they want to Brooks
I was thinking the same. Hope they have all their ducks in a row.
The halves and Teddy would like having some big bodies in the backs.
in Ivan we distrust

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 9:24 pm

tigerap wrote:To offer this kids this sort of money Pascoe and co must be confident of resigning Teddy, Woods, Moses and if they want to Brooks
Hope you are correct on that it would seriously raise my hopes for 2018 onwards

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 9:31 pm

There are two schools of thought here. One is that they've blown too much money on this kid and financially it leaves less for the big 4. Or you could say it's a positive move that will give the 4 a lot of faith in regards to where the club is heading by securing one of the clubs hottest prospects. I'd like to think the club hasn't been irresponsible enough here for it to be the former.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 9:55 pm

InBenjiWeTrust wrote:
Masterton wrote: If you have a look at the list of Australian schoolboys, it seems like less than half have decent NRL careers.

How about: Woods, ex-Captain, Dwyer, Nofoaluma, Koroibete, Naiyaravoro, Simona, Moses, Falise ... :D
I dont recall SImona or Mr T being labelled as future stars. People wanted Mr T to be given a go but there wasn't a great deal of hubris about him.

Simona was on the outer here until Potter came in 2013. Whilst many wanted him given a go, no one called him a superstar. He didnt even play Aussie Schoolboys.

Post by 2041 » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 10:22 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
TrueTiger wrote:
king sirro wrote:If he signed elsewhere everyone would go mad at losing a good prospect in a position we need.

I think these days its easier to judge if a player is going to make it through the physical testing and opposed sessions they do. Of course that doesnt guarantee it, but its more of an educated guess these days, especially when the kids is already in your system like Suli is. We have obviously had a good look at him snd his personality too.
I remember an absolute sensation going to make his debut for the WTs.....superstar written all over him...he lasted twenty minutes and had an injury that took all that season for him to rehabilitate.....I think his name was TEDESCO...how's he going these days...?????.. :D
We hit the jackpot with Tedesco, doesn't happen too much though.
Better to throw money at some proven( not over the hill) players. Who can help the ones that we've got.
If this club hasn't learnt something about ridiculously long contracts by now, they never will.
There's nothing to stop this player (or any kid signing a long contract), from improving over the first couple of years, and then throwing a wobbly and coming up with a reason to walk away from WTs contract and go to another club, for more money.
Contracts mean nothing .
If he's a dud, then he takes the Bikkies anyway, and he's laughing.
Come on, get real. You act like there's this bottomless well of good quality first grade footballers who will come to the Tigers on small deals. You don't get established, difference making players for 300k unless you're taking potential, reclamation projects or cast offs.

Incidentally, do you want to sign these mythical proven players on one year deals? Because of course there's nothing to stop a proven player demanding out of a deal if something better comes along (hello Martin Tapau). At least a guy you've had since juniors might feel he owes the club something. Yes, I said "might".

A three year extension to an 18 year old isn't a ridiculously long deal, either. He'll next be off contract at 22 for goodness' sake. If the club really rates him what would be the point of a two year deal? Just as he's established in first grade he'd be off contract.