ANZ Stadium

Wests Tigers Discussion
Telltails

Re: ANZ Stadium

Post by Telltails » Thu 23 Nov, 2017 9:03 pm

Disgraceful waste. Sydney turning into one big construction site and a traffic jam.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Thu 23 Nov, 2017 9:35 pm

The ANZ revamp should be a positive for rectangular sports in Sydney with a state of the art stadium. Hopefully by then the NRL have finally worked out how to get people to the game and the stadium will get big crowds regularly.

The SFS on the other hand surely a minor facelift would have been enough for a stadium that is barely used.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Thu 23 Nov, 2017 11:05 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 23 Nov, 2017 7:03 pm
I am bitterly disappointed this is seen as more important than more beds or quality teachers, even drawing down on the infrastructure debt.
sad sad sad truth
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 12:00 am

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... f2cb5c5695

Courier Mail reports the 2020 GF at the SCG.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 5:49 am

gallagher wrote:
Thu 23 Nov, 2017 7:37 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Thu 23 Nov, 2017 7:30 pm
Sydney FC to play at LO
GF in 2019 to be held at Allianz
Doesn't the article say work at Allianx starts next year? Wouldn't that rule out rhe GF in 2019?
That was from the 9 news report

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 6:30 am

Waste of tax payer money. Spend it on hospitals and schools.

Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Balmainbred » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 7:48 am

Well if both stadiums are out of action, at the same time , and they are playing 2019 GF in sydney. Then it must be getting played at the SCG.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 8:01 am

How much is the ANZ overhaul costing on it's own?
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 8:33 am

Doesn't Wests Tigers have a 5 year deal with ANZ Stadium? And we've only finished one year (maybe 2)?

What does this development mean for that? Another game or 2 back to Leichhardt and Campo, or no?
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 8:41 am

I think its great and am looking forward to attending both - hope they put in some better quality food and full strength beer

Snake

Post by Snake » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 9:30 am

TigerTiger wrote:
Fri 24 Nov, 2017 8:33 am
Doesn't Wests Tigers have a 5 year deal with ANZ Stadium? And we've only finished one year (maybe 2)?

What does this development mean for that? Another game or 2 back to Leichhardt and Campo, or no?
Apparently the government is buying out the lease holder for there remainder of the leased period ,so I would imagine the free handout each game will stop .Who knows when that is happening maybe in a couple of years

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 9:41 am

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... zrqyr.html

When not playing at Campbelltown or Leichhardt Oval – they have also locked in a "home" game at Tamworth next year – Wests Tigers will venture to the Eels' new home ground.
"It's great for the state, it's a bold and aggressive move," Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe said. "It's a great result to have three brand new stadiums of three different sizes accommodating the growth of the game and changing demographic.

"Having spent time in Melbourne and America, you can't underestimate what quality stadiums can do for the sporting experience for a state."

Enmoretiger

Post by Enmoretiger » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 10:05 am

tigerap wrote:
Thu 23 Nov, 2017 6:57 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Thu 23 Nov, 2017 5:04 pm
I guess we'll be at Parra for a couple of years maybe '19 & '20 :brick:
The Olympic Stadium and the Sydney Football Stadium will be demolished and rebuilt in a $2 billion overhaul signed off by New South Wales Cabinet today.

Work at the Sydney Football Stadium site at Moore Park is expected to start next year, followed by the Homebush Olympic stadium in 2019

Senior government sources described this morning's Cabinet meeting as "robust" with some ministers, frustrated at the length of time it had taken to reach a decision, expressing concerns the handling of the issue had been damaging.

It is understood some also raised concerns about the $2.3 billion price tag, up from former premier Mike Baird's original estimate of $1.6 billion.

The package also includes the cost of rebuilding Parramatta Stadium.

The rebuilt Sydney Football Stadium's capacity is expected to be 45,000 people while the Olympic stadium will hold between 75,000 and 80,000 people.

The decision is expected to be announced tomorrow and brings to an end a saga that dragged out for more than 18 months since Mr Baird first detailed his proposal.

That plan would have seen the Olympic Stadium reconfigured to a rectangular venue at a cost of $700 million ahead of a refurbishment of the Sydney Football Stadium.

While the proposal received strong support from the NRL, there has since been furious lobbying by the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust, who control the Sydney Football Stadium, as well as the Australian Rugby Union and Sydney FC to rebuild the Moore Park venue first.

Sports Minister Stuart Ayres backed that option and has spent almost two years tying himself into knots advocating various positions that would get it over the line.

But there has been fierce opposition from some members of Mr Ayres' own cabinet, with some scratching their heads as to why a stadium that was built as a state of the art venue for the Sydney Olympics less than 20 years ago should need to such a complete overhaul so quickly.

Opposition Leader Luke Foley supported the rebuilding of the Olympic stadium but said the work at Moore Park was a waste of money.

"I've always said west before east because that's where the people are," he said.

"They will spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a white elephant, on a stadium that won't host grand finals, State of Origins, Bledisloe Cups or the biggest Socceroos qualifiers.

"Why are we doing this? Is the Waratahs vs the Bulls in Super Rugby going to get 45,000 people? They struggle to get 10,000."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-23/o ... lt/9182798
IMO I really am finding it hard to reconcile these decisions.

The Olympic stadium is ~20 yrs old...why knock it down and rebuild..there are public hospitals and schools that are greater than 20 yrs old in dire need of refurbishment yet are overlooked due to lack funds...go figure..

What’s wrong with a refurb of ANZ and a knock down of the round stadium next door to a rectangular 25-30k seat stadium?..
I am amazed at this decision, I am a Builder and in another life, before my own business, I was involved in the Olympic infrastructure at Homebush. The stadium is a very built structure, (The design in my opinion & I do have a degree in Architecture & I also married one, is very impressive) with the modern steel and concrete construction methods used; it would have a life span of at least 100 years, certainly not 20.
I agree with the other posts, money would be better spent on public schools and regional public hospitals.
This state government is obviously closely aligned with the large commercial construction industry.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 11:11 am

I agree Sydney needed one rectangle State of the Art Stadium but not three.
I'm spew'in they knocked down Parramatta Pool. There are so few good outdoor pools in Sydney these days. That one was a beauty. My kids were playing regular comp games of Water Polo there and now it's gone.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 11:34 am

The Georgia Dome in Atlanta was ripped down this week.

Opened in 1992 at a cost of $214 USD.

ANZ opened in 1999 at a cost of $690 AUD.

Both similar capacity.

ANZ is not s s*** stadium. It has plenty of life left.

On a per year cost, NSW taxpayers have been cheated big time.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 12:01 pm

Waste of money imo. Money used could have been better spent on education, health and low cost accommodation
No more plodders!
:sign:

cochise

Post by cochise » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 12:04 pm

During the time of the build the NSW Gov will be spending $200 Billion on Education and Health. There is no reason that a government can not spend money on health and education as well as improve infrastructure, such as stadiums, at the same time. Yes ANZ stadium could potentially last for a lot longer but the problem is it was poorly designed, not structurally but in other areas.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 12:20 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 23 Nov, 2017 7:03 pm
I am bitterly disappointed this is seen as more important than more beds or quality teachers, even drawing down on the infrastructure debt.
Agree CB. Imagine 2b into our hospital system.