Wests Tigers Discussion
Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 37 times

David Nofoaluma plays through the pain for Wests Tigers

Unread post by Masterton » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 10:23 pm

David Nofoaluma enjoyed a remarkable season for someone who shouldn't have played beyond round seven.

It was then that he suffered an injury that required groin and hernia surgeries. Rather than get the operations done straight away – a move that would have effectively ended his year – the Wests Tigers winger played on because there was no one to fill his void.

It's not like Nofoaluma was playing for a contract – he had signed a lucrative four-year extension just weeks before suffering a sports hernia – but he played through the pain anyway.

"It gives you lower abdomen pain, and it takes away your power," Nofoaluma said.

"I tell you what, I don't want to experience it again.

"It took a bit out of me. I couldn't do certain movements. When I was tackled, it was hard for me to do a crunch. Even when sitting up, I couldn't get out of bed; I had to roll out.

"I've relied on some tablets the club gave me to help with the pain, but it didn't do much. I struggled all year."

It's been two months since Nofoaluma underwent the procedure and he is now able to participate in "90 per cent" of the Tigers' preseason. While South Sydney's Adam Reynolds suffered a similar injury and just had his hernia operated on, the Wests Tigers flanker opted to also have surgery on his groin to ensure there were no related issues.

"I could have [had the operation straight away], but there was no depth in the team, and Ivan [Cleary] needed me out there," he said.

"He said to stick it out until the end of the year and go from there."

When Nofoaluma committed to the Tigers in April, he was the first high-profile player to do so. At the time, the future of the "Big Four" of Aaron Woods, Mitchell Moses, James Tedesco and Luke Brooks was uncertain, and halfback Brooks would prove the only member to stay put.

Within weeks, the joint-venture outfit embarked on a signing spree that netted Josh Reynolds, Ben Matulino, Russell Packer, Chris McQueen, Benji Marshall, Robbie Rochow, Mahe Fonua, Taane Milne and Corey Thompson to vindicate Nofoaluma's decision.

"When I was signing, there was all that drama happening and I was nervous with [possibly] four good players about to leave," he said.

"What would happen to the Wests Tigers in 2018? But once I signed I was happy. It made me think afterwards, 'What's next for the club?', and a week later we signed Ben Matulino, and that gave me a bit of happiness; then we signed Packer two weeks after that, and it made me even happier.

"Then Reynolds come in, and I thought, 'We've got a good chance next year', and there were signings after signings.

"I couldn't wait to come to preseason to meet them all, and since they've been here they've slotted in well. There's a whole new vibe around here."

Nofoaluma's injury prevented him from again representing Samoa at the World Cup. It remains to be seen which will be his next representative jersey. The 24-year-old is eligible for NSW, Australia, Samoa and New Zealand, and is yet to decide his priority.

"[It's] always a goal to make the rep teams," he said.

"The good thing about me is I'm eligible for Samoa, New Zealand and Australia. It would be nice to play for NSW, but you have to think how many players are there and will stay there. If they play well, it's a tough one.

"I've had a think about it with my family and missus about possibly trying out for New Zealand, but we'll see how the year goes."

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... zz1d1.html
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

krayola
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by krayola » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 10:35 pm

Thanks for posting Masterton.

Nofa is a legend. It was clear he was injured for most of last season but didn't know the extent of it! Here's praying for a relatively injury free 2018 for the man.

hobbo
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 97 times

Unread post by hobbo » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 10:44 pm

krayola wrote:
Tue 05 Dec, 2017 10:35 pm
Thanks for posting Masterton.

Nofa is a legend. It was clear he was injured for most of last season but didn't know the extent of it! Here's praying for a relatively injury free 2018 for the man.

I also know what it's like to roll out of bed every morning :lol:
EPL 2014/15 Predict 6
Competition ...CHAMPION !
Winner of the 2016 $$$$
Work tipping comp !

Munk
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Munk » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 10:57 pm

This explains the way he played this year. Should have got those problems seen to when they first occured.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 54 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 11:02 pm

Munk wrote:
Tue 05 Dec, 2017 10:57 pm
This explains the way he played this year. Should have got those problems seen to when they first occured.
True but he put his club and his team mates ahead of himself.The sort of bloke you would want beside you when things are tough.A wonderful clubman

supercoach
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by supercoach » Tue 05 Dec, 2017 11:51 pm

He showed ten times more ticker playing busted than a few other team mates on massive dollars.

ku5tom
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by ku5tom » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 12:02 am

what an absolute champion

mightymagpie
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by mightymagpie » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 12:48 am

That’s the kind of bloke you want at the club. Always gives his all even when not 100%.
Puts into perspective the so-called Big 4 minus 1.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 395 times

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 2:18 am

What a shame we let Rankin go mid-season..Nofoaluma could have went under the knife..then he wouldn't of finished 4th in NRL, Total Metres, 3rd in NRL, Offloads, 5th in NRL, Tackle Breaks and been the only Wests Tigers player to play every game..

Hopefully the surgery works well and he has an injury free 2018..

Be the player your team mates want to play with..true about David Nofoaluma...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

MightyMaggy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by MightyMaggy » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 4:23 am

Geo. wrote:
Wed 06 Dec, 2017 2:18 am
What a shame we let Rankin go mid-season..Nofoaluma could have went under the knife..then he wouldn't of finished 4th in NRL, Total Metres, 3rd in NRL, Offloads, 5th in NRL, Tackle Breaks and been the only Wests Tigers player to play every game..

Hopefully the surgery works well and he has an injury free 2018..

Be the player your team mates want to play with..true about David Nofoaluma...
When you see the facts, you realise what an asset he is to the team. We could do with a few more of his type, especially when you consider how he fits the "Cleary-type" mould.
Thank you, Geo or reminding me he was 4th in NRL, Total Metres, 3rd in NRL, Offloads, 5th in NRL, Tackle Breaks and being the only Wests Tigers player to play every game..

Thank you, David and I hope 2018 is an even better year for you and the Team!

larrycorowa
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by larrycorowa » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 5:00 am

He hasn't been injury free for 2-3 seasons now, exciting player fully fit.

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by willow » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 6:19 am

Typifies Nofoaluma's character and the spirit in which he plays the game. Fingers crossed he has an injury-free season in 2018.

Fade To Black
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 7:35 am

Geez his stats for this season were impressive considering he was underdone, great effort. The club should of given him some "Sharks-like" tablets- he would of been top of the stats in every department...might've shrunk his nads though.

criwdfluffer
Has liked: 15 times

Unread post by criwdfluffer » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 7:57 am

after he signed he scored a try and grabbed at the tiger emblem.....I was soooo pumped I busted my fuffer.

love noffa!!

tigerap
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 71 times

Unread post by tigerap » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 8:28 am

Noffa a true Tiger for life....not like those pretenders we had in the team last year who have moved on...How on earth Woods became our club captain I will never understand...

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 9:46 am

Let's hope he can have an injury free 12 months for the first time in his career. Great courage and determination to help his mates through the pain barrier but let's see him at his best now! we have the depth not to need to do this anymore

marzie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by marzie » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 9:58 am

Legend

tiger05premier
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by tiger05premier » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 10:10 am

tigerap wrote:
Wed 06 Dec, 2017 8:28 am
Noffa a true Tiger for life....not like those pretenders we had in the team last year who have moved on...How on earth Woods became our club captain I will never understand...
True legend

Loves the club not himself

Those other tools wouldn't have a single room in their house that doesn't have a mirror in it

Return to “Wests Tigers”