Cleary's - "back to the future" prediction ?!

Wests Tigers Discussion
momo&medo

Re: Cleary's - "back to the future" prediction ?!

Post by momo&medo » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 9:06 am

Eddie wrote:
Mon 08 Jan, 2018 5:38 pm
I was interested listening to Pascoe and Cleary's Christmas Message when Cleary told the really tragic Tigers fans to look out for a bit of "back to the future" . He said he couldn't give too much away but he left it at that.

I assume he was talking about game style given the question was surrounding style of play and structures a little bit. This got me thinking was he referring to the 2005 type football of throwing caution to the wind and moving the ball around a lot more? I personally don't think so as I don't think we have the speed or skill in our side this year to pull off that sort of style?!

Maybe we was talking about right back at the start of the merger in 2000, then we had made a heap of new signings, many very experienced heads like we have done this time. We played a hard nosed brand of football and were not turned over by anyone until it all went pear shaped late in the season. This seemed more likely to me although it would be strange to hap back to a season that was ultimately unsuccessful?!

Thats why I thought of 2005 first.

Does anyone have any clues what he was talking about with this "back to the future prediction"

Somethings besides game style?
I don’t believe in miracles but do think that with improved fitness levels and depth this side has potential to improve on last year results.
We are short of 2-3 classy players .... so losing Woods and Teddy will hurt and slow down our progress.
I am optimistic ...... however the first 5 rounds will really test the team and some on the forum who may have high expectations.

But yes .... going back to the solid hard nailed style that past Balmain/Magpies sides had during their successful seasons ..... should be the approach to take.

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 9:33 am

Interesting post.....it would seem that Cleary has gone for brawn. Especially in our backline so an up the guts style play does seem possible with that cattle.....

but from memory both the sides Cleary coached liked to throw the ball around.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 10:16 am

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 6:40 am
gallagher wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 12:48 am
happy tiger wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 12:04 am
gallagher wrote:
Mon 08 Jan, 2018 11:42 pm
How long till someone tags it Clearyball? Next year will be that up the middle, kick long, mistake free footy. It's what we have to do but some fans won't like it if we arnt winning much.
I think the difference is we have the personnel more suited to play that type of footy

But you are correct if things go pear shaped some will blame Cleary
Yes. Definitely a more rounded side than we've had previously. I look forward to the tough style. And the coach being in control.
Cleary structures will be nothing like Taylor ball.
I agree. My comment isn't about what Cleary is doing. Its about some fans reaction if we don't have immediate success.

beachtiger

Post by beachtiger » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 10:46 am

I know it is a cliché but I think what you will find from Cleary's structure is a team that earns the right to play expansive footy.

We will be a team that the other teams will know they have been in a tough match against but when in attacking positions on the field we will still have the ability to play some exciting footy, we have players that are able to do it now just have to put it into practice.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 10:47 am

gallagher wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 10:16 am
Nucky Thompson wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 6:40 am
gallagher wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 12:48 am
happy tiger wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 12:04 am

I think the difference is we have the personnel more suited to play that type of footy

But you are correct if things go pear shaped some will blame Cleary
Yes. Definitely a more rounded side than we've had previously. I look forward to the tough style. And the coach being in control.
Cleary structures will be nothing like Taylor ball.
I agree. My comment isn't about what Cleary is doing. Its about some fans reaction if we don't have immediate success.
You will always get fans who demand "immediate success"personally i will be more than happy to see a continuation of what Cleary bought to the club after the disaster of JT.A sense of pride amongst the players and a will to win and never give up attitude goes a long way to make the majority of fans happy.
We now have the right man to guide our future, i dont expect miracles this year but at least i feel we are finally going in the right direction.

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 11:03 am

beachtiger wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 10:46 am
I know it is a cliché but I think what you will find from Cleary's structure is a team that earns the right to play expansive footy.

We will be a team that the other teams will know they have been in a tough match against but when in attacking positions on the field we will still have the ability to play some exciting footy, we have players that are able to do it now just have to put it into practice.
x2

wt01

Post by wt01 » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 11:07 am

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 11:03 am
beachtiger wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 10:46 am

x2
x3
Official Member of:
- The Michael Chee-Kam Fan Club
- The Mahe Fonua Fan Club

President of the Combined Luke Brooks and Corey Thompson 2018 Fan Club

+ Marshall's Magic :righton:

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 11:25 am

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 6:25 am
It all comes back to the defense imo.
Always.
Get that right...we are halfway there
Inks right if we win games this season it will come on the back of our defence

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 11:39 am

I think that he was referring to Packer, Matalino and Taylor who all played together and won premierships in New Zealand as juniors.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 12:03 pm

Don’t confuse Taylorball and rip and tare power game. They are very different games. With a power game, you actually can you your defence as a form of attack,by forcing turnovers and restricting yards gained. Souths were very good at it a few years back where they were basically as dangerous without the pill as with it.

I get the feeling this is what Cleary will try and achieve, pound the tripe out of teams than burn them up when they are down. Of course way easy said than done and a lot depends on the way the refs allow you to play

barra

Post by barra » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 1:36 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 11:25 am
innsaneink wrote:
Always.
I was waiting for that Happy lol! FWIW, I totally agree about the defence...

I don't see Taylorball in this squad but I do see Powerball. We won't be a glamour side but with direct play and energy we can still be exciting and have success in attack.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 2:08 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 11:39 am
I think that he was referring to Packer, Matalino and Taylor who all played together and won premierships in New Zealand as juniors.
You could be right Col. Those three will need to be leading the way for us to have a good year.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 2:11 pm

barra wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 1:36 pm
happy tiger wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Always.

I don't see Taylorball in this squad but I do see Powerball. We won't be a glamour side but with direct play and energy we can still be exciting and have success in attack.
:lol: And I'm still waiting for someone to post we need to score points

I'll be surprised if we average 20 points a game in attack so we will need to dramatically improve our defence

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 3:00 pm

Reynolds, Brooks, and Marshall all instinctive type players - still think we may have a little
ad lib left in us yet.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 3:07 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 2:11 pm
barra wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 1:36 pm
happy tiger wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Always.

:lol: And I'm still waiting for someone to post we need to score points

I'll be surprised if we average 20 points a game in attack so we will need to dramatically improve our defence
And there lays the problem scoring points. Also discipline has to be spot on and looking at our roster we have a few players who could have some problems in that department. I think powerball is the only way to go, but I am far from convinced we will be successful at it

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 3:14 pm

Telltails wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 3:00 pm
Reynolds, Brooks, and Marshall all instinctive type players - still think we may have a little
ad lib left in us yet.
I think you can add Lolohea to that list. He looked our most dangerous player late last year, I'm excited to see him with a bit more room out the back.

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 4:43 pm

gallagher wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 3:14 pm
Telltails wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 3:00 pm
ad lib left in us yet.
I think you can add Lolohea to that list. He looked our most dangerous player late last year, I'm excited to see him with a bit more room out the back.
Liddle can also cause havoc up the middle with the forwards providing quick ptb and creating time & space against a retreating defence. Liddle has the pace and agility to succeed, throw in the players previously mentioned as well as size & power out wide, there is no reason we can't match it with the top teams in attack.

Earl

Post by Earl » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 4:49 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 10:47 am
You will always get fans who demand "immediate success"personally i will be more than happy to see a continuation of what Cleary bought to the club after the disaster of JT.A sense of pride amongst the players and a will to win and never give up attitude goes a long way to make the majority of fans happy.
We now have the right man to guide our future, i dont expect miracles this year but at least i feel we are finally going in the right direction.
I feel the same way. JT to me was a terrible coach. He just didn't seem to have it in him.

I just want to feel the coach is heating in the right direction. So far I get that impression from Cleary.