10 Mataulino
11 Eisenhuth
12 Aloiai
13 Lawrence

14 Mcqueen
15 Taylor
16 Twal
17 McCilwrick

I know ill cop some flack from a few supporters on here but i think Marshall could be a bolter for the 9 if Liddle isn't ready to go by opening round.
Still a pretty good line up considering Suli, Mcqueen, kev, Sue, Liddle and a bunch of fringys there abouts aswell.

Just bought tickets to the roosters game in round one.
Cant wait so see packer rip teddys face off.
Where does Benji go when McIlwrick comes.on?
Don't worry Ink Benji won't be in the starting 13 maybe not even in the 17.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 11:26 pm

Needaname wrote:
Thu 11 Jan, 2018 1:14 am
I seem to recall one Sonny Bill Williams missing up to almost a season with stress fracture and other injuries that occurred around him being rushed through his recovery.
The upside to this point is, he turned out to have a pretty good career injury wise afterwards.
Isn't stress fractures a 'growing pains' situation. Suli is only 19/20 like Sonny probaby was at the time so it's proably related to him growing into his body.

Just looked this up:

Stress Fractures in Young Athletes

Competitive sports can give some young athletes an edge over their peers. When fun, teamwork, and good sportsmanship are the top goals, sports can improve young kids' physical and emotional health, self-esteem, and even their relationship skills. Unfortunately, young athletes must also compensate for still-growing bones, tendons, and muscles. Sometimes sports injuries happen.

The most common type of sports injury is an overuse injury such as a stress fracture. Overuse injuries are becoming more common in young athletes Playing sports year-round without time off doesn't give young bodies enough time to rest and recover.

How stress fractures happen
Stress fractures happen when muscles are too tired to take on the impact of exercise, and the bones absorb the added stress. When those bones become too strained, they develop a tiny break known as a stress fracture.

Most stress fractures affect the bones in the lower leg. Stress fractures are also common in the feet.

These are the most common causes of stress fractures:

Increasing the frequency or intensity of exercise too quickly
Suddenly changing the workout surface
Getting sudden and significantly more playing time
Using or wearing gear that doesn't offer enough support, such as shoes that are worn out
Insufficient periods of rest between practice or events
Stress fractures can happen during any number of sports, but they tend to be most frequent in young athletes who participate in sports that involve running and jumping, such as basketball, gymnastics, and track and field. These sports involve repetitive movements that strain the muscles and bones. This increases the risk for a stress fracture.

So based on the above and the weight of Suli I'd say it's reasonable to expect this to of occurred.
Probably the best post on this subject , look at how many champion sportsmen have suffered stress fractures over the years Glenn McGrath , Dennis Lillee , Jason Gillespie ,Brett Lee , James Pattinson

NRL players Moylan , Crichton ,Josh Dugan , Robbie ODavis , Darren Alberts to name a few

Many young sportsmen grow out of these issues , Liddle's injury probably is more concerning , having two shoulder reconstructions when people are expecting you to average around 40 tackles a week for 6 months of the year for the next 12-15 years

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 7:10 am

Suli is not being rushed...very softly softly for him...ankles can be tricky..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Balmainian

Unread post by Balmainian » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 9:31 am

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 13 Jan, 2018 10:55 pm
Balmainian wrote:
Sat 13 Jan, 2018 5:58 pm
1 Tui
2 Nofo
3 Marsters
4 Milne
5 Fonua
6 Reynolds
7 Brooks
8 Packer
9 Marshall
10 Mataulino
11 Eisenhuth
12 Aloiai
13 Lawrence

14 Mcqueen
15 Taylor
16 Twal
17 McCilwrick

I know ill cop some flack from a few supporters on here but i think Marshall could be a bolter for the 9 if Liddle isn't ready to go by opening round.
Still a pretty good line up considering Suli, Mcqueen, kev, Sue, Liddle and a bunch of fringys there abouts aswell.

Well if Tui, Reynolds or brooks are not on there game or someone goes down he’s there.

Balmainian

Unread post by Balmainian » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 9:35 am

wt01 wrote:
Sat 13 Jan, 2018 9:56 pm
Balmainian wrote:
1 Tui
2 Nofo
3 Marsters
4 Milne
5 Fonua
6 Reynolds
7 Brooks
8 Packer
9 Marshall
10 Mataulino
11 Eisenhuth
12 Aloiai
13 Lawrence

14 Mcqueen
15 Taylor
16 Twal
17 McCilwrick

in all due respect of your opinion mate....jst sayin but...that bench dont look all that strong...taylor and mcqueen are not provin front rowers at all...+ if you swapped mckillrick for a front rower......taylor could be the DH rotation :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Wouldn’t be worth havin a forum if we didn’t have different opinions.
Yeah your spot on with ET at 9, But I don’t know if he’s creative enough to be there every week.
I reckon Aloiai and Eisenhuth could both hold a prop position easily.
So you could swap either of them to a bench spot for McQueen or Taylor.
Aloiai could play 80 minutes every week imo.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by jadtiger » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 11:50 am

If you play ET as a fill in at hooker you remove one of his strengths as a player(offloads). I am not sure that his service from DH is worth it to lose one of his strengths even if it is just in rotation.

GNR4LIFE

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 11:57 am

I remember when JT was playing ET at hooker in 2016 and everyone was losing their minds. How things change.

diedpretty

Unread post by diedpretty » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 11:58 am

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 13 Jan, 2018 12:31 pm
Russell wrote:
Fri 12 Jan, 2018 5:56 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Fri 12 Jan, 2018 4:32 pm
He didnt say more accomplished
They were accomplished, Suli is not therefore

so by default they are more accomplished than Suli.

Simples Ink.

That's ok i know you just like finding errors in what I say.

Whatever turns you on.
Ive read it three times and fail to see the word 'more' before 'accomplished'.
But Russell thinks im bullying him.
Merely stating a fact.
Have to agree with Ink on this one - nowhere does it say more accomplished - you could argue on the more deserving maybe but considering the length of time Suli has been out and the fact these two have been playing right up to and including the World Cup then its hard to argue against that as well.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 1:03 pm

Balmainian wrote:
Sun 14 Jan, 2018 9:31 am
innsaneink wrote:
Sat 13 Jan, 2018 10:55 pm
Balmainian wrote:
1 Tui
2 Nofo
3 Marsters
4 Milne
5 Fonua
6 Reynolds
7 Brooks
8 Packer
9 Marshall
10 Mataulino
11 Eisenhuth
12 Aloiai
13 Lawrence

14 Mcqueen
15 Taylor
16 Twal
17 McCilwrick

Well if Tui, Reynolds or brooks are not on there game or someone goes down he’s there.
I'm not a fan of unforced changes & reorganizing the spine midway thru a game
..disastrous

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 2:08 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Sun 14 Jan, 2018 11:50 am
If you play ET as a fill in at hooker you remove one of his strengths as a player(offloads). I am not sure that his service from DH is worth it to lose one of his strengths even if it is just in rotation.

I thought Taylor played well there in his game for the Kiwis in the World Cup...his servive was quite good got his pack rumbling forward...

Certainly a better option than Marshall being tossed up until Liddle is ready to go...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Balmainian

Unread post by Balmainian » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 2:58 pm

Haha I had no idea the Marshall thought at hooker was such a bad one.
Ill keep my Marshall thoughts to myself next time lol.
I also thought Taylor at hooker during the world cup was quality he got the ball right out in front of the big boppers so they had to run on to it.
What about Pete Godinet as starting Hooker.....................Joking.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by formerguest » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 4:45 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Sun 14 Jan, 2018 11:50 am
I think it is well and truly offset if you are gaining, for example, an explosive running Aloiai to start and finish the game by doing it, plus not having to carry another nine on the bench.

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 10:13 am

For those that get into physio talk - here's some talking about moses on twitter...

NRL PHYSIO‏
@nrlphysio

Not good to hear Moses Suli still looking to overcome stress fractures in his foot in time to start the NRL season. Some bones in foot have poor blood supply so extended healing time.

@nrlmagicsponge
Jan 12
More
Replying to @nrlphysio
What are some of the most likely stress fracture areas of the foot that are slower? I never see patients with them but I’d assume in athletes Navicular, 1st met,base of 5th met are all possibilities

@SportsClinicNQ
Jan 12
More
Sesamoids second met 5th met navicular medial mal talus

@nrlphysio
Jan 12
More
Jones fracture (5th met) the one I see most commonly in clinic with ++ recovery time, & probably highest surgery rate too. Had 2 higher level athletes need 2nd surgery for Jones as well

@nrlmagicsponge
Jan 13
More
Kevin Durant had all sorts following his jones fracture. Vasularity zones in that 5th met make even bone grafts for stressies hit and miss

@SportsClinicNQ
Jan 13
More
Need early diagnosis and the balls to intervene quickly. Would be hard to tell someone on $200k per game playing 3 games per week to sit out if they felt they could push through

@nrlphysio
Jan 13
More
What fracture locations in the foot would you be more lenient for patients playing through? Crichton this year an interesting example

@SportsClinicNQ
18h18 hours ago
More
All the non high risk areas. But i don't know what I'd do to be honest. Would depend on when in season how team was going, the sport. Not evidence based but intensive (bright on MRI or bone scan) and extensive (widespread) BMO would influence me.

@SportsClinicNQ
18h18 hours ago
More
If you are golden State and in no chance of missing finals and lost in a 73 game win season you take very very few chances at all. If you cowboys in 2017 you roll the dice a bit more

@CatfishSC
Jan 12
More
Replying to @nrlphysio
Is this just a case of letting the bones heal themselves, but it's taking longer than expected?

@nrlphysio
Jan 12
More
That's the most likely scenario, sometimes the bones don't heal sufficiently and surgery is required. Will be interesting to see how they continue to manage it

@drboz88
20h20 hours ago
More
Replying to @nrlphysio
Navicular stress fracture potentially?

@nrlphysio
19h19 hours ago
More
One of a few possibilities mate for sure

colmcd

Unread post by colmcd » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 10:52 am

Fraze23 wrote:
Thu 11 Jan, 2018 8:10 pm
Earl wrote:
Thu 11 Jan, 2018 4:12 pm
This is bad.

I think we can cover for McQueen fairly easily. Moses is one player who could be a weapon for us and we will miss that but I think we have depth to cover the loss of an outside back.

The big loss though is Liddle. I reckon we need him to turn into a gun player if we are going to have a season that surprises on the upside. McIlwrick and Taylor may do the job defensively but we won't threaten much from dummy half without Liddle there and firing.
McQueens situation might be a blessing in disguise if it allows an Eisenhuth or an Aloiai to claim a starting position. I don't think a backrow of Lawrence, McQueen and Taylor is big enough to make an impact nor is it likely to trouble too many sides. I'd like to see Eisenhuth start at lock or Aloiai start on the fringes, with either McQueen or Lawrence coming from the bench to steady the ship.
Yep, we can do this.
Mcqueen -> Eisenhuth/Aloiai/etc.
Suli -> Kevie/Founa (and MWZ take wing).
Liddle -> Mcilwrick/ET maybe Marshall to play hooker/5-8.

We are have a stack of Depth in these positions. Probably too much.

Unread post by 2041 » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 11:34 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 14 Jan, 2018 11:57 am
I remember when JT was playing ET at hooker in 2016 and everyone was losing their minds. How things change.
Spot the difference:
2016: Jason Taylor refuses to pick Robbie Farah at hooker, instead at times preferring converted back row forward Elijah Taylor in the number nine jersey. Fans are upset.
2018: Promising youngster Jacob Liddle may not be fit to start the season, leaving the Tigers short in their hooker rotation. Converted back row forward Elijah Taylor is suggested as a temporary fill-in to back up Matt McIlwrick for at least some minutes. Fans are less upset.

GNR4LIFE

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 1:33 pm

2041 wrote:
Mon 15 Jan, 2018 11:34 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Spot the difference:
2016: Jason Taylor refuses to pick Robbie Farah at hooker, instead at times preferring converted back row forward Elijah Taylor in the number nine jersey. Fans are upset.
2018: Promising youngster Jacob Liddle may not be fit to start the season, leaving the Tigers short in their hooker rotation. Converted back row forward Elijah Taylor is suggested as a temporary fill-in to back up Matt McIlwrick for at least some minutes. Fans are less upset.
Actually, Farah spent the majority of the backend of the season after he was dropped on the sideline, carrying an injury. So he was unavailable anyway.

Unread post by 2041 » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 3:23 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 15 Jan, 2018 1:33 pm
2041 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Spot the difference:
Actually, Farah spent the majority of the backend of the season after he was dropped on the sideline, carrying an injury. So he was unavailable anyway.
Do you honestly believe people were angry at Jason Taylor for using ET at hooker even when he was doing so purely as an injury fill in and in the absence of anyone else? You don't think there's any context involved at all? Who were these angry fans proposing should be used at hooker instead of ET as a matter of interest?

Look, I know you have a bee in your bonnet about Jason Taylor getting the rough end of the stick and I'm sure there are times when Cleary will get away with something that would have got Taylor hammered (I'd argue that's because there's a difference between a good coach making a mistake and a crap coach doing crap stuff, but that's just me). But no-one (sane) was angry at ET being used at hooker when there wasn't anyone else available.

Unread post by 2041 » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 3:29 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 15 Jan, 2018 1:33 pm
2041 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Spot the difference:
As a supplementary point, one area where you might be right that fan views have changed is perception of ET's value. When he first came across there was a view - a wrong view, IMO - that he was a real threat as a wide-running, ball-playing back row forward. On that basis some people were probably more upset than they should have been at the idea of ET being used at 9.

I think most people are more realistic now about what ET brings and are perhaps therefore less inclined to feel he would be wasted playing in the middle.

In this sense, yes, I suppose there is an element of Jason Taylor being condemned for something Cleary can get away with. But I don't think that's anti-Jason Taylor bias - it's more a case of having more realistic expectations of the player involved.

Personally I happen to believe Taylor was a hopeless coach who also got dealt a dud hand with the Farah situation (though he didn't improve it by the way he played it). I don't - and didn't - have a massive issue with ET being considered the leading candidate to fill in at 9 in the absence of other options. The issue was that Jason Taylor shouldn't have been in a position where there weren't other options.

Return to “Wests Tigers”