This years key to our success......

Wests Tigers Discussion
TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

This years key to our success......

Post by TrueTiger » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 10:54 am

I have read many posts this off-season in regard to our recruits,where people will play and how credentialed they are to play at this level of nrl and at the club..
The real key to our season in my opinion rests purely on the shoulders of Brooks,he will have very experienced players around him in the halves as well as good forwards...as for how individual players perform in their positions only time will tell eg Tui at fullback,I have said before that Brooks must take control of this team and lead them around the ground,he has had enough time as far as I’m concerned..if he can’t play confident and controlled football by now he never will..
Mind you I’m also hoping that the others that are on the field do their job and play to Ivan’s plans,let’s face it,if your in a first grade nrl side then you must have something to offer..
I have also read about Nathan Cleary and others that should be at our club,there’s nothing wrong with having a wish list,but, we have this year to prove ourselves as a team and club with who we have here in the present,let’s deal with that first...
If we do make the 8 or even finish in 10th,then we have made a massive improvement to our playing style and roster..I think the WTs are going to surprise many teams along the way this year and I for one can’t wait to see how we line up week to week... :pray:
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Geo. » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 11:14 am

Win more games than we lose.. :?
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 11:31 am

I mostly agree. If Brooks is playing well the team will be playing well. A good halfback can make up for some average outside backs. Though, having said that, I think our backline is the biggest question mark. Tui at fullback, Milne at center, Fonua or Thompson on the wing. If these blokes don't fire we could be in for a long season.
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TrueTiger » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 12:35 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tue 06 Feb, 2018 11:14 am
Win more games than we lose.. :?
Absolutely agree GEO,but,as I mentioned the key to winning more games is if Brooks running game,passing game and kicking game are of nrl standard then he should put us into point scoring positions more times than not..
I’m quietly confident that he will step up to another level this year,he has had his learning period of 5 years now and with Ivan’s coaching he will be a better proposition for us as a very good playmaker...let’s hope he shows us that he has...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

wt01

Post by wt01 » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 12:36 pm

if the forwards do their job, and do it well, we have enough skill in the backline to score points.

+ we also need to be playing for each other, like alot of the players have said in their interviews
Marshall Magix

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 1:00 pm

A piece of string?
The key to our success this season will be Ivan Cleary, and how good or otherwise he is at getting the team that he has formed to gel and to start playing consistent football.
Last edited by NT Tiger on Tue 06 Feb, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Quality Stupidity"

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 1:03 pm

So many factors. too many to say Brooks form is key. Defence is key for me. if Eisenhuth makes 130 metres per game from lock and Parker/Mat's/Twal ect all regularly get us into the oppositions quarter for Brooks and Grub (hopefully Liddle/Lolohea as well) to execute good options on the fourth and fifth then i can see us winning games on the back of good defence. but we'll have to be one of the Top six defensive sides, as we don't have strike weapons in attack.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 1:09 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Tue 06 Feb, 2018 1:03 pm
So many factors. too many to say Brooks form is key. Defence is key for me. if Eisenhuth makes 130 metres per game from lock and Parker/Mat's/Twal ect all regularly get us into the oppositions quarter for Brooks and Grub (hopefully Liddle/Lolohea as well) to execute good options on the fourth and fifth then i can see us winning games on the back of good defence. but we'll have to be one of the Top six defensive sides, as we don't have strike weapons in attack.
Maybe Fonua and Milne will turn out to be strike players? They aren't yet, sure, but maybe they can step up.

I agree though where it is lots of things that need to go together.

Imagine, if we can just get one year where our players actually want to play for us (Suli leaving this year doesn't count) then that's a good start.

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 4:01 pm

TT, as much as I would like to see Brooks step up and lead us around like a top halfback, I really don’t think he has it in him. Nor do I think his short kicking game will improve much.

We know how hard proper halfbacks are to get, we haven’t had one since Scott Prince and we didn’t have much before Prince either.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 4:17 pm

Brooks is a good halfback, but he is lacking between the ears. This is his make or break year. Or even his make or break 5 or 6 weeks.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 4:19 pm

I'm changing my mind every day about this. I'm sure some of what we are saying here will be relevant. But it is the NRL so there is likely to be an element of surprise at each club that no one predicted. A player or group of players who underperform or exceed expectations and drastically change their team's fortunes.
We will see, I'm most confident in our middle forwards, 50/50 about the spine and a bit more pessimistic about our edge players.

clontarfkid
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by clontarfkid » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 6:16 pm

I actually think the spine is our biggest challenge tbh...
A full back who has very little experience in that position at NRL level...suspect we'll be exposed defensively in 2018.
Both halves are neither renowned playmakers and both lacking a short kicking game..were gonna struggle to score tries I suspect
..and two no9s that at this stage have little impact as playmakers,and are a little brittle
Id be chasing RTS as an immediate priority and play Tui in the centres...our 6 is a contractual lockin but was a winning SOO blues 6(not many can say that)so were with him for a while,and we'll know more about Brooks mid season but aint quite sure hes got it...but am happy for him to prove me wrong.
So IMO Ivans team aint gonna match JTs 9th in 2016(tho we shld have done better)...and were consigned to the "developmental phase"for another few seasons.
Worse still...both Newcastle and Titans have recruited well..very well....and possibly were a shot at the spoon

Earl

Post by Earl » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 6:24 pm

Tacky wrote:
Tue 06 Feb, 2018 11:31 am
I mostly agree. If Brooks is playing well the team will be playing well. A good halfback can make up for some average outside backs. Though, having said that, I think our backline is the biggest question mark. Tui at fullback, Milne at center, Fonua or Thompson on the wing. If these blokes don't fire we could be in for a long season.
Suli is a big loss because I thought he could be someone who could do really well in the centres and that would give us a bit of stability in the backline.

We have Tui, Reynolds, Benji, Brooks, Milne & Fonua who all have question marks over them. Nofo is our only outside back where we know what we are going to get and he will give us great go forward and the ability to score a try. Nofo's defence can also be ordinary.

I don't think our season is in Brooks hands. We need the team to fire and Brooks to fire. I think we could have a good season but it's completely unknown how the team is going to gel and the players that are going to perform.

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 6:45 pm

Not having Woods and Tedesco.

Woods stifled our go forward with the slowest PTB in the comp, and Tedesco was a crutch for weak options in the oppositions 10M.

Packer. That guy can really get sets rolling. Playing on the front foot for once is the key to our success.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 7:48 pm

We need to be far stronger mentally

We need to stay focussed for 80 minutes every week

We need to defend like no WT's team has defended before for an entire season

We need to find a way to average about 20-22 points every week

Most importantly , no matter what happens every week we never throw the towel

And as fans we need to be patient

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 9:59 pm

Defence out wide and goalkicking

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 10:02 pm

I reckon that our strength will be through the ruck and I am, at this stage, unsure of our firepower on the edge

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 11:34 pm

To paraphrase, "It's defence stupid", now more than ever. :sign: