Honest assessment on 2018

Wests Tigers Discussion
Eddie

Re: Honest assessment on 2018

Post by Eddie » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 10:22 pm

These are our results the last 6 years

11th, 15th, 13th, 15th, 9th, 14th.

Our Top 17 looks weaker to me then some of those years this year. Our depth may be better.

However I like our coach.

Still I think we will be bottom 4. Why? Because for me we have Bottom 4 talent.

Hope I am wrong like Supercoach. However I'm a realist.

We are not favourites for the Spoon for no reason.
Last edited by Eddie on Fri 16 Feb, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wt01

Post by wt01 » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 10:22 pm

i got an idea

why dont yall all wait til the end of the season.....then asses??.....it might make more sense

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 10:36 pm

Wests to finish 11th..

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 10:46 pm

Cairnstigers wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 9:28 pm
supercoach wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:50 pm
Bottom 4
Party pooper
Lay dawn and cop this :deadhorse:
Slightly hypocritical man , laying into everyone in another thread about being critical of their opinions and then doing the exact same thing in another thread ...hey ??

We have a lot of variables to deal with this season

As SC said the hardest being trying to get a brand new side with many new recruits team to gel against 6 of the toughest sides in the comp straight up will be a battle

Be tough to make the 8 if we started 1-5 or worse still 0-6

I'm trying to remain positive , but it is a scary proposition , even with the Super Coach Ivan

Everyone wants the best for the club , but many have seen the last 6 years and still have their reservations , understandably so

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 11:22 pm

I believe we are better than Warriors, Titans, Dogs, Souths, Newcastle. We have good depth and there is always 1-2 good teams on paper that have injuries or buckle each year.
I can see us finishing 10th at best.
Positives I can see is the front row, good leaders, good coach, powerful outside backs.
Weaknesses unproven 1, 7, 9. New squad, lack of fire power in the back row.

tbones10

Post by tbones10 » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 11:25 pm

I honestly think we are an outside change of a top 8. Our forwards are honest to goodness NRL class forwards, for the first time in a long while. I haven't been this positive about brooks since his rookie year and can't wait to see how reynolds influences our culture. The backs, although publicly slighted, will definately benefit from platform laid by the forewards and I'm keen to see how that goes.
My personal tip Tui will surprise all, Brooks will start to realise potential and, Twal will establish himself as our domiant forward.

the third

Post by the third » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 11:28 pm

TYGA wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 11:22 pm
I believe we are better than Warriors, Titans, Dogs, Souths, Newcastle. We have good depth and there is always 1-2 good teams on paper that have injuries or buckle each year.
I can see us finishing 10th at best.
Positives I can see is the front row, good leaders, good coach, powerful outside backs.
Weaknesses unproven 1, 7, 9. New squad, lack of fire power in the back row.
Agree with this. Injuries will have a massive part to play this year. Those teams just outside the 8 won’t be separated by much. If we can grab a couple of wins early when the favourites are finding form we could be a chance.

Personally I’m hoping the mumps keeps ripping into the east for a few more weeks

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 11:31 pm

Just trying to lift the spirits of everyone

To many negative people
If the Wests Tigers supporters continue to bag our own team what what hope do we have

What message is that sending to the star signings we are looking for

All of my posts have been about trying to be positive towards the team
I don't get on here being negative towards our team and say we have a bunch of no hopers

I know no one has used those words but it seems like that's what some of you are saying

Anyway
Season starts in a few weeks
I hope we get a few early wins so the mood changes on here

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 3:31 am

As long as injuries dont hit too hard i expect anywhere between 7th and 10th

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 7:41 am

Earl wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 7:51 pm
Top 4 easy. We will win the comp.
x2

Away with the doom and gloomers Earl..

P.S. fixed your OP..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 7:57 am

ku5tom wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 9:19 pm
We will go on a good streak mid- late season and finish 7th and then win the grand final by 12 points.
Well, there's our season gone! You should have put up a spoiler alert!
"Quality Stupidity"

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 8:21 am

Cairnstigers wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 11:31 pm

To many negative people
If the Wests Tigers supporters continue to bag our own team what what hope do we have

I don't get on here being negative towards our team and say we have a bunch of no hopers

I know no one has used those words but it seems like that's what some of you are saying

Anyway
I think you are reading too much in to other replies. The OP asked for honest assessments and as far as i can see that is what people are providing and backing their assessment with reasons. I haven't seen one reply " bagging" the team or saying we have a " bunch of no hopers". I'm sure everyone on this forum is hoping at worst we make the 8 and at best we win the GF.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 8:23 am

Cairnstigers wrote:

To many negative people

Anyway
The title of the tread was a honest assessment, and that what people are doing, nothing to do with being negative.

I have seen lots of teams in the past who have introduced a lot of new faces to their playing roster have very poor season, but than have had very good second years. The teams that come to mind are Parra,Manly and the Dogs. With our draw it is going to be even harder as we play so many of the better teams early.

Now if you post a thread titled..what I would love to see in 2018.....I will give you plenty of positives

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 8:42 am

Cairnstigers wrote:

To many negative people

Anyway
As others have said, it’s their honest assessment. Instead of telling them they should not be negative, ask them why and have a discussion. It’s what the forum is about.

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 8:42 am

The backend of the season showed we will be a lot more competitive. There is no way we will get the wooden spoon barring a terrible run with injuries. The players that debuted last season had an incredible impact on our performances I can't remember the last time new players became accustomed to the NRL so quickly. With the depth we have players will be hugely motivated to perform well knowing they will be back in reggies if they don't. There is a lot of to be excited about. Can't wait for the season to start.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 8:42 am

Cairnstigers wrote:

To many negative people

Anyway
Mate! You are the eternal optimist - however everyone does not have the same opinion.

You keep shoving positivity down our throats - positivity is great, but truth is even better.

i.e truth in the form of a posters positive opinion on a situation. Everyone is allowed their own personal opinion especially when the thread says "Honest assessment."

You remind me of the "Seventh day Adventists" or "Mormons" who persistently come knocking trying to convert you to the only way of thinking - Theirs!!!!

Give the positive a rest - it is becoming a real NEGATIVE!!!!!

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 8:47 am

I expected WT to finish top six last year, building on the ninth in 2016, so maybe I should just keep my opinions to myself, but the way things unfolded with a few 'star' player's actions is most likely what ruined our hopes the most. Despite the disruption and changes, with the addition of a few new players, the boys finished 2017 playing competitively as a team and defending as one.

With the addition of Mats and Packer to compliment the emerging talents of Eiso and Twal, we should have our best ever middle and one which matches most, if not all the competition, to lay the foundation for our season. It starts and finishes in the middle, which without a lot of class or finishing ability amongst our backs, is where I expect us to be on the table come September.

Hopefully just making the eight and getting to watch at least one game of WT in the finals.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 9:32 am

Honestly.
Our front row looks better than last year by Packer and Matolino replacing Woods and Ava. However in comparison Ava has gone to the sharks and can’t get a start. Woods has gone to the dogs and with Klemmer shifting from lock only the most one eyed would not agree that the bulldogs now have a better front row than us as a result of that.
Secondly.
We have one senior player in our spine.
If you look through all other teams name me one other team that has only one senior player in their spine. I can’t.
Brooks doesn’t play like a senior player yet.
Thirdly, we don’t have prop/backrowers on our edges like a lot of other teams do. Our backrow is quite similar to the roosters and the knights but both those sides have more experience their.
Lock is a mystery. Both players between Eiso and ET has strengths and weaknesses. And both decisions impact greatly on the make up of the team.
Our backline has a lot of power but not much speed. We all so the difference a player like ciotric or Ado Car made to their sides.
These are the factors that bookies and experts consider when looking at a side and ranking them, and on paper ours is probably the worst despite all the changes.

With that said games are not won on paper and some of the negitives above could turn to positives depending on the way we style our game and structures.
If our powerful backs are hit in holes instead of of our backrowers we’ll make more line breaks. The backrowers will be used to keep the defencive line in tact as both Chris’ have good line defence. In attack these guys would be used for more dirty hit ups in the middle third but you can’t expect them to break the line in that part of the field ala a Critchon or Josh Papali, these guys will be more your mannering, auberson types.
Our props have a lot of upside, Packer is still building his reputation and Ben wants to prove to everyone that he can once again be considered the best prop in the game.
Tui has a point to prove as does Brooks, Reynolds and either of our 2 hookers.

This will make us hungry and fighting for every play as long as we learn to grind out games we will have the right ingredients to go well this year.

My thoughts on how we go is middle rung. Better than we will go on paper but worst than what we can go on potential.