Brutal Reality - We lack talent

Wests Tigers Discussion
Earl

Re: Brutal Reality - We lack talent

Post by Earl » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:59 pm

Fonua, Nofo, Masters, Aloiai and Tui all have speed and power. Brooks and Liddle have it as well but they also need skill in their respective positions.

I think we can have a decent season but we need to have a bunch of players that have the ability to win games perform to their absolute best.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:12 pm

Canberra have an equally bad spine to start with the pommy hooker out for a while

Unless they have recruited someone I don't know about

Wighton, couldn't catch a cold
Blake "Show and go" Austin (was ok for us, great for them two years ago and got worse every week in 2017)
Sezer is under pressure from Sam Williams or whatever his name is
Havili

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:21 pm

I think there is a real chance that we might surprise a few. Im keen to see how its all working part way through the year. Its a tough first 6 weeks, the toughest of any team. Ill be interested to see how they deal with adversity and disappointment.

If anyone here doesnt think we are in a better position than we have been for the past few years, then id be surprised.

I dont subscribe to the 15th or 16th finishing position. Whilst we dont have the marquee player or two who will really demand attention, i do think there is enough to make a strong team who work hard and toil together. We have the best coach and management than we have had for years. We have the strong ashfield club behind us and even though im an ex balmain fan, that side of the venture has no right at the moment to destabilise or cause concern, therefore for the first time in many years, or direction is beginning to be forward from everyone.

I actually see strong results if we can stick to the plan. Final 8, just, in my opinion is a real chance.

Too many people calling the end already in my opinion. They may be proven right, but if they are, its because they guessed more than knew......if that makes sense.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:23 pm

It's been one dud half. Our two busiest defenders didn't play, our two props were having their first game, we were playing a pretty hot team. I'm not saying there aren't issues, most of them in the backline. MWZ offers little, Nofa still struggles to read opposition attack, Kev is a trier but is average and Brooks probably had his worst game. But I think the talent is there to make the 8 if the combos click.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:34 pm

We must have some perspective as it’s a total rebuild. Cleary has built a team that will be solid but not challenging any of the top sides. We will lose to a storm, Sharks, Roosters, Cowboys, Panthers, Eels, Dragons unless they have a bad day. We will be good enough to beat a majority of the other teams due to coaching and teamwork. I also think depth gives you cheap wins when injury hits other teams. We will be mid table 10th at best.

That is a good season if you throw in RTS, Cleary and Liddle fires you have a top 8 side.
We need class second rowers and a fun centre/ winger to really challenge.

We are in a 2-3 year rebuild and Cleary has to start somewhere.

snowleopard

Post by snowleopard » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:46 pm

Reflecting on the Sharks game last night the difference wasn’t in the forwards in the first 40 mins it’s was the speed and power that their backs returned the ball and then got fast play the balls one after another that got them on the front foot and us moving backwards . It’s been a trademark of the Sharks for the past 3 years. Looking at our recruitment I can see Ivan’s logic in getting the likes of Fonua, Milne, etc but the problem is they are still way behind the top players in their positions and realistically probably won’t get near them in 2018. Especially Fonua as he looks to have a figjam attitude. The only 2 we have with that capability are Nofoaluma and Marsters and to a lesser extent Kev. MWZ and Thompson (if he played on the wing) aren’t powerful enough and get easily dominated.

The bigger problem is Brooks as he got neither the personality or ability to be given the responsibility of leading us around the park. He was horrible last night. Kicks , game management and setting up support players. Sure people will say we got dominated but given that at best our forwards will compete 50/50 with most others in 2018 we just can’t continue giving this bloke more chances as the only hope we have with our roster is to have someone in that position that has the “time” to get us repeats sets, make the opposition return from deep in their half and put the pressure on in the opposition 20 metre zone with well placed attacking kicks. When you don’t have the strike power in this area like us you just got find ways to buy some time and Lady Luck will always help with a good bounce of the ball just like what happened last night with 2 Sharks tries.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:49 pm

So at what point do the knives come out for Cleary? As Geo said, he assembled this team with an entire salary cap at his disposal.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:50 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:49 pm
So at what point do the knives come out for Cleary? As Geo said, he assembled this team with an entire salary cap at his disposal.
Round 10
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

The Queen

Post by The Queen » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:53 pm

The Sharks where up for the game they treated it as a real NRL game and if you would have been at the Sharks season launch tonight in Cronulla you would know that was the talk after the first trial game they had a rocket put up them and the talk tonight at the launch was dead serious about winning the comp this year

The Tigers will finish between 6th and 10th this year they will win a lot of games on heart and hard work and talk of losing the three best players with the most talent is B/S if they won't put in what's the point of keeping them

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:54 pm

Swordy wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:21 pm

They may be proven right, but if they are, its because they guessed more than knew......if that makes sense.
But if your right you knew and didn't guess?

Right..

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:58 pm

That was a tough test for our blokes coming up against a well drilled and experienced team that boasts a starstudded lineup. Fifita, Prior, Graham, Lewis, Moylan, Dugan, Holmes etc, the Sharks have one of the best rosters in the NRL. They also have performed well and been a top side for a few years now, so realistically our virtually new team were bound to struggle. As fans we watched our boys play a very poor Cowboys outfit and naturally we got a bit hopeful, only to be dragged back to reality after facing a top side in pretty hot form. Ivan was 100% right in saying that the Sharks gave us a good point of reference.

The stand out deficiencies to me are:
In D we consistently have poor line speed in our 20 metre zone and often think slowly and lack urgency around the ruck - in A we have nothing out of dummy half (although Godinet added a little spark) and our general lack of speed in the backs is troubling. It will be interesting to see how we can improve in these areas. It will take time to work on the shortfalls in our roster.

For those who are ready to jump off the bus already I think things may look even worse in the first 5 or 6 rounds with the draw we have. All said however, I still have faith in the road that Ivan is trying to take us down.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:00 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:49 pm
You make it sound like he had the choice to buy 5 Origin players in the Winter.

He walked into a circus where our best players had already made their minds up to go.

I dont love some of his signings however it was hardly an attractive place to come and play.

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:09 pm

Anything is possible
Who would have thought the Cowboys would make last years grand final without Thurston and Scott

CARLTON’S comeback from 44 points down in the 1970 Grand Final against Collingwood proved what can happen when a team truly believes

JOHN Bertrand in the 1983 America’s Cup.
Apparently America could never be beaten

ROB de Castella run down a couple of Kenyans in the 1982 Commonwealth Games marathon.

STEPHEN Bradbury winning gold in the 1000m speed skating at the 2002 Winter Olympics when his main rivals fell ahead of him.

Underdogs can win
I like a good story

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:13 pm

Eddie wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:07 pm
GNR I write previews for The Roar.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2018/02/23/we ... rediction/

I had the Tigers pencilled in for 15th in an article posted Friday.

So happy to be accused of having no idea and being wrong but not a Monday Morning quarterback in this case.

Anyway I desperately hope I am wrong.
OK Eddie I will make you happy. You have no idea.

:crazy :crazy

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:14 pm

Cairnstigers wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:09 pm
Anything is possible
Who would have thought the Cowboys would make last years grand final without Thurston and Scott

CARLTON’S comeback from 44 points down in the 1970 Grand Final against Collingwood proved what can happen when a team truly believes

JOHN Bertrand in the 1983 America’s Cup.
Apparently America could never be beaten

ROB de Castella run down a couple of Kenyans in the 1982 Commonwealth Games marathon.

STEPHEN Bradbury winning gold in the 1000m speed skating at the 2002 Winter Olympics when his main rivals fell ahead of him.

Underdogs can win
I like a good story
That's all sweet and Rosie , but we're talking Wests Tigers mate :lol:
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

iofthetigers

Post by iofthetigers » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:35 pm

The best forward pack we have had for years,however it is like the club has lost its identity as a great nursery, there doesn’t appear to be any superstars coming through the junior ranks

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:37 pm

On LU in '05 a thread was started before a ball was kicked in anger "The Spoon is heading to Campbelltown"...

Never had one...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Tigrr

Post by Tigrr » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:38 pm

snowleopard wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:46 pm
Reflecting on the Sharks game last night the difference wasn’t in the forwards in the first 40 mins it’s was the speed and power that their backs returned the ball and then got fast play the balls one after another that got them on the front foot and us moving backwards . It’s been a trademark of the Sharks for the past 3 years. Looking at our recruitment I can see Ivan’s logic in getting the likes of Fonua, Milne, etc but the problem is they are still way behind the top players in their positions and realistically probably won’t get near them in 2018. Especially Fonua as he looks to have a figjam attitude. The only 2 we have with that capability are Nofoaluma and Marsters and to a lesser extent Kev. MWZ and Thompson (if he played on the wing) aren’t powerful enough and get easily dominated.

The bigger problem is Brooks as he got neither the personality or ability to be given the responsibility of leading us around the park. He was horrible last night. Kicks , game management and setting up support players. Sure people will say we got dominated but given that at best our forwards will compete 50/50 with most others in 2018 we just can’t continue giving this bloke more chances as the only hope we have with our roster is to have someone in that position that has the “time” to get us repeats sets, make the opposition return from deep in their half and put the pressure on in the opposition 20 metre zone with well placed attacking kicks. When you don’t have the strike power in this area like us you just got find ways to buy some time and Lady Luck will always help with a good bounce of the ball just like what happened last night with 2 Sharks tries.