McQueen's Inspirational Return To Rugby League

Wests Tigers Discussion
willow

Post by willow » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 7:03 pm

Author Matt Buxton (Twitter: @MattBuxton22) NSWRL.com.au Timestamp Sat 10 Mar 2018, 06:05 PM

You have to be tough to play Rugby League, but Chris McQueen displayed toughness of the highest order when he took the field for the first time this afternoon after invasive neck surgery.

He went under the knife for a C5C6 disk replacement as well as a C6C7 vertebrae fusion after he complained of severe nerve pain and 'burners down his arms. It makes his return to one of the toughest sports on the planet truly remarkable.

The premiership-winning representative returned in Western Suburbs Magpies colours today in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW at ANZ Stadium, the ground where he last played at in Round 15 in July last year.

“It was pretty scary,” McQueen said of the surgery.

“I guess the good thing was that I already signed my [Wests Tigers] contract here, so I had my eyes set on a return date on coming back to footy.

“Injuries happen and I got a lot of advice before the surgery, so I was never in doubt that I could get back on the field.”

That advice came from a wide range of professionals including surgeons and doctors, but it also came from teammates in similar situations.

He won the premiership in 2014 with Kyle Turner, who to this day wears a neck brace after injuring himself in the 2015 All Stars match.

McQueen also played with Nathan Peats at both South Sydney and the Gold Coast Titans, who played almost an entire half of football with a broken neck for the Parramatta Eels.

“I spoke to Nathan Peats because he broke his neck and he’s had a fusion, and I spoke to Kyle Turner who had a disk replacement,” McQueen said.

“I also saw two different surgeons as well as team doctors at the Titans last year, and all of the recommendations were to get the surgery and that I’d be better off for it.

“So it was a scary sort of thing, but I knew it was the best thing to do.”

McQueen played for the Magpies today as he hasn’t played since last July, but there is little doubt that NRL is on his radar.

He insists, however, that his wellbeing is the major priority and he certainly won’t rush into anything before he is ready.

For the moment, he got through today’s game without issue, which certainly is confidence boosting for the former Queensland representative.

“I got tested, a few times I landed on my neck, but other than that I’ve come out of it with no problem, so I’ll take a lot of confidence out of that,” McQueen said.

“I certainly want to use this as a springboard back to first grade but I do need to get used to that contact again and playing 80 minutes week in, week out.

“I’m in no hurry to get back up to first grade, I certainly need to make sure I’m ready for the NRL level before I get back there, but that’s where I want to be.”

When asked if he was ever a chance of retiring due to the serious surgery, his response was a true testament of how tough McQueen really is.

“Not in my mind there wasn’t, no.”

LeichhardtTiger

Post by LeichhardtTiger » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 7:35 pm

He played well in Defence and in the second half was very active in attack. Played 80 mins I think.
There are two kinds of people in the world - those that live in Balmain and those that wished they did.

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 8:30 pm

I think I’m only one of a few who rates McQueen right now. Fingers crossed he earns a first grade spot shortly.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:10 pm

Cant drop Rochow after that performance. Was really good in defence and attack. Big body too.

AnnandaleTiger

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:17 pm

Garner outplayed him. I’d be giving him next shot in the 2nd row.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 11:48 pm

Seantice wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:10 pm
Cant drop Rochow after that performance. Was really good in defence and attack. Big body too.
Rochow has turned back the clock I thought he was going to be our new Kyle Lovett. Happy to be wrong early days but he’s a machine.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 11:50 pm

TYGA wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 11:48 pm
Seantice wrote:
Rochow has turned back the clock I thought he was going to be our new Kyle Lovett. Happy to be wrong early days but he’s a machine.
That is pretty harsh to think he would be as bad as you believed Lovett to be. He’s never been a bad player at all. He was rock solid at the Knights.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:34 am

TYGA wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 11:48 pm
Seantice wrote:
He has really stood out for me as well in the Cowboys trial and today's game.

Well done.

Loving the competition for spots

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:42 am

McQueen needs miles in his legs, just needs solid showings.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 10:37 am

How good is it that our plan b is not Kyle lovett (arguably the worst nrl player I have ever seen)

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 10:38 am

larrycorowa wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 10:37 am
How good is it that our plan b is not Kyle lovett (arguably the worst nrl player I have ever seen)
Showed more than Siro when he was in our jersey.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 10:40 am

larrycorowa wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 10:37 am
Trent Runciman and Lee Murphy were both worse than Kyle. I was not a Kyle fan at all but he surprisingly had some good games, including his one game for City.