'The biggest shock of my career': Nofoaluma didn't see axing coming

Wests Tigers Discussion
willow

Post by willow » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 5:52 am

By Adrian Proszenko
10 March 2018 — 4:36pm

David Nofoaluma’s sacking came as a shock to all. Not least the man himself.

“Definitely. It was one of the biggest shocks of my career so far,” Nofoaluma said after running out for Wests Magpies against Canterbury, instead of playing for the Tigers against the Roosters.

“I respect Ivan’s [coach Ivan Cleary’s] decision and he thinks the side playing today is the best line-up. I respect that decision, I just went out there to play my footy.”

When the 16 clubs named their sides for the opening round of the competition, Nofoaluma’s demotion to reserve grade was the biggest shock. Wests Tigers fans and fantasy football afficianados went into meltdown after arguably the club’s best player of 2017 was dumped to reserve grade.

The unheralded Corey Thompson, back after a two-year stint in the Super League, instead got the nod for the season opener against the Roosters.

“It was a bit different,” Nofoaluma said. “Obviously I’m used to playing first grade. It’s a bit slower and a totally different feel to first grade.”

Asked if Cleary had outlined the reasons for the demotion, the Samoan international said: “Not anything specific. He didn’t tell me much, what the problem was or what I’ve done wrong. It was a pretty quick convo, it was a shock to me. I just wanted to come out today and let my footy do the talking.”

That he did. Nofoaluma scored two tries in the Magpies' 32-10 win against Canterbury. Whether it is enough for a recall remains to be seen.

“I feel like I was doing things right,” Nofoaluma said of his first pre-season under Cleary.

“But in saying that, for me coming out today, even the whole week leading up to this game, it makes you feel like you've got to perform at your best to be at the top with the best. Hopefully I did my job today and performed well and hopefully I get the call-up next week.”

Nofoaluma was the first big name to re-sign with the club after the debacle that was the ‘big four’ contract negotiations. He knocked back an approach from Parramatta to commit for a further four years.

“Pre-season's always a tough time of the year. Ivan's, this off-season was really tough. A lot of boys trained really hard and I suppose some players stuck out better than others and that's what got them here today in round one. Good on them and all the best to them today.”

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 6:31 am

Bit disappointing if true that Ivan didn’t outline what areas he needs to work on.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 6:35 am

He would be silly to say to the media what Ivan wants him to work on.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 6:48 am

True, but why not say there’s a couple of things Ivan wants me to do better. Rather than saying I was not nothing. He makes it sound like Ivan said “you’re dropped, sorry bye” which I doubt is true

willow

Post by willow » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 6:48 am

ku5tom wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 6:35 am
Yeah he'll know. Hell, we all know, he needs to fix his defensive positioning and improve his defensive decision making.

Onthebus

Post by Onthebus » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 7:06 am

He will be back before you know it

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 7:11 am

willow wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 6:48 am
ku5tom wrote:
Yeah he'll know. Hell, we all know, he needs to fix his defensive positioning and improve his defensive decision making.
As do they all ....the left edge still conceded a very simple TRY with the centre and winger both coming a long way in...and we were found out more than once down both edges...another day the scoreboard could have been different..

Nofoaluma was good defensively in ISP yesterday...snuffed out the Dogs a few times..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 7:17 am

Geo. wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 7:11 am
willow wrote:
ku5tom wrote:
As do they all ....the left edge still conceded a very simple TRY with the centre and winger both coming a long way in...and we were found out more than once down both edges...another day the scoreboard could have been different..

Nofoaluma was good defensively in ISP yesterday...snuffed out the Dogs a few times..
Which wing did he play on in reggies?
in Ivan we distrust

tigerbill

Post by tigerbill » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 7:24 am

He was sorely missed. He brings the ball back like no one else and when close to the try line he can get to the one percenters. I would be VERY surprised if Ivan kept him out.
Can he play instead of kevin? Now there's someone who I would gladly see in reggies.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 7:26 am

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/03/1 ... burbs-win/

Highlights from the reggies. Double from nofa via 2 nice kicks from gamble. Garner(12) looks the goods.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 7:41 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 7:17 am
Geo. wrote:
willow wrote:
ku5tom wrote:

Which wing did he play on in reggies?

Right edge ..along with Milne and McQueen Drinkwater..
happy tiger wrote:

OK I was wrong

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 7:49 am

Geo. wrote:
willow wrote:
ku5tom wrote:

Not really MWZ fault, he was stranded in no mans land because his inside man left him posted on his own.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 7:52 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 7:49 am
Geo. wrote:
willow wrote:
ku5tom wrote:

Not really MWZ fault, he was stranded in no mans land because his inside man left him posted on his own.
Like we haven't seen that before...I'm not blaming MWZ either...defence in about working together as a unit...

Yet when it's Nofoaluma ...hmmmm
happy tiger wrote:

OK I was wrong

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 8:02 am

Geo. wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 7:52 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Geo. wrote:
willow wrote:

Like we haven't seen that before...I'm not blaming MWZ either...defence in about working together as a unit...

It's happened to our wingers for years. Richards, Koro, they've all copped it.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 8:15 am

That’s how you respond to being out of favour. You don’t sook, ask for a release and play the mental health card. The club does not need to shove the unity thing down our throats, it’s there for us to see ourselves when all the guys who were playing for the Magpies were going crazy like they were supporters. That showed more in a minute than 6 months of stupid catch phrases.

Mccarry

Post by Mccarry » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 8:40 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 8:15 am
That’s how you respond to being out of favour. You don’t sook, ask for a release and play the mental health card. The club does not need to shove the unity thing down our throats, it’s there for us to see ourselves when all the guys who were playing for the Magpies were going crazy like they were supporters. That showed more in a minute than 6 months of stupid catch phrases.
My thoughts exactly. He earns respect and shows character. He will be back but his defence needs to be significantly better.

I am very curious about how the Tigers trainer have changed their mental resilience.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 8:48 am

willow wrote:
ku5tom wrote:
Exactly if he doesn't know by now he never will

Maybe Cleary thinks he is a high priced liability and wants him out ......... :idea:

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 8:52 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 8:02 am
Geo. wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 7:52 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Geo. wrote:

It's happened to our wingers for years. Richards, Koro, they've all copped it.
Of course they have does not make it right...blaming any winger ignores the bigger issue with defending as a unit on an edge...If they get trampled by the opposition wing on the way to the tryline ..different story...

lol at happy..If Cleary wanted him out he wouldn't have increased his offer and just let him go to Parra..
happy tiger wrote:

OK I was wrong