Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Ivan Cleary has shown Wests Tigers how to win again - PK

Post by Tweed Tiger » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 8:52 am

From habitual losers, Ivan Cleary has shown Wests Tigers how to win again
Paul Kent, The Daily Telegraph
March 12, 2018 10:13pm
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 23a8f506af

IN his early racing days Seabiscuit, the little American racehorse not much bigger than a pony, was trained to lose.

He was tough and stubborn and too difficult to deal with and so his trainer Sunny Jim Fitzsimmons thought his greater value was as a training partner for other, better performing horses.

Every time Seabiscuit was about to run down his training partner in trackwork his jockey pulled him, forcing him to run second. It built the confidence of the other horse. And it might have explained his obstinance.

Naturally, when Seabiscuit raced he did he was stubborn to the end and did what he was taught to do, which was to lose.

Seabiscuit was sold and moved on to another trainer, Tom Smith, who recognised the heart and broken soul inside his racehorse.

Horses were herd animals, Smith knew. Taught to follow other horses, they will follow other horses.

Footballers are herd animals too. Left to choice, they will eventually fall into suit with each other and begin to think alike.

Within clubs, they call it culture.

Ivan Cleary recognised as much last year when he took the job of turning the Tigers around.

The Tigers have not made the finals since 2011.

Since then the club has become a comedy of poor governance, of player led revolts, boardroom instability and coaches sacked midterm.

It finally settled down when Cleary arrived last season.

The coach is measured and calm. His demeanour underpins his coaching philosophy.

Parachuted in last year with the season already five games old, Cleary got through the rest of the season as best he could before he could get an entire off-season with them.

Then the work began.

Like the horse trainer Smith, Cleary had to change the psychology of his team.

Winning is contagious, as is losing. And the Tigers had become far too comfortable with losing.

When Smith took over training Seabiscuit he realised a circuit breaker was necessary and so he changed the roles. He pushed the training horse out in front to set a pace and he let Seabiscuit get a sniff before allowing the jockey to run over them at the post.

Seabiscuit got used to winning, and that was all it took.

Cleary needed to needed his players to learn how to win again.

He needed to get their competitive spirit firing.

With a training pony unavailable, Cleary turned every training session into contests. He pitted the players against each other.

“Any challenges we had,” Benji Marshall told Triple M On Sunday, “when we split into two teams and played against each other, we’d score every drill.

“And if you lost, the losing team had to, straight away at the end of training, when the rest of the team finishes, go and get punished by Ronny Palmer.”

The Tigers began competing with each other. They had incentive.

They found the extra efforts necessary to win the contest.

It helped that competitors like Josh Reynolds, Russell Packer, Ben Matulino and Marshall, fresh blood, were brought to the club.

The Tigers had their circuit breaker.

And so Saturday afternoon they went out against the Sydney Roosters as the biggest underdogs of the opening round.

Few gave them a chance of victory.

The Roosters opened the season as premiership favourites and the only conversation the Tigers were in was in the wooden spoon market.

And as the game wore on the Tigers trailed 8-4 gallantly hanging in. But this time something was different.

“We were down by four points and I actually felt the team lift off the back of things we did in the pre-season,” Marshall said.

Like Seabiscuit, the Tigers had a sniff for battle and found they enjoyed it.

They scored in the final two minutes to change the entire outlook for the season.

“Winning becomes a habit,” Marshall said, “but losing becomes a habit and I think we needed to break that.”
Last edited by Tweed Tiger on Tue 13 Mar, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 9:17 am

Don't know if anyone caught this but, it shows how well this new culture has been implemented.
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 9:29 am

The biggest test in the nrl is ahead of them this weekend.

How good would a win be against the storm in Melbourne during Billys 300th game.

I believe

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 5:39 am

Good article..

but 1 game doesn't make a summer swallow...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 6:16 am

On paper we wont have a tougher game this year.Storm in bleak city is as tough as it gets.Give them hell boys

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 7:26 am

I wish grub was playing this weekend.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 7:55 am

I like pk comment on 360 that there is a herd mantality in the nrl speaking about why corey thompson went to super league. Cleary definitely bucks that trend.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 12:37 pm

Seabiscuit? Horses? What is PK on about, too much whisky before that one.

You know what Cleary did? He let the heroes leave the club and kept / brought in the people willing to play hard for each other. Sure the training methodology changed etc. as with any coach, but basically there were several players who were miles better than anyone else (and some of them thought they were even better than that) and they caused an uneven playing group.

When you are a bloke like Tedesco, you either get frustrated because your team-mates don't play as well as you do, or you go out and try to hard, try to do it all yourself. Robbie Farah did that for the last 2-3 years of his contract with us, just tried to fix too much himself, then got all bitter when his form left him and the club wanted to move on.

I was so satisfied to see last week, some players who I essentially think are of average talent, playing to their best ability and tackling like mongrels. Guys like Rochow all over their more fancied rivals, Matulino chasing centres across field, even Luke Brooks very effectively covering a line break.

We don't need the heroes here any more, I was so disappointed when they left, but 3 good players can't beat a unified good team.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:15 pm

I'll settle for us being a side who punches above their weight every week and is always in the game at the 65-70 minute mark. The way they defended on the weekend, i don't see why they can't be that side.

Cosimo_Zaretti

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:23 pm

Tacky wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 9:17 am
Don't know if anyone caught this but, it shows how well this new culture has been implemented.
I'm just out of shot to the right, we sit down the front behind the Tigers bench.

We've had those seats 4 seasons now, and I've never seen the reserves and injured players so fired up. They were riding the game with us. The bench too, I thought Elijiah Taylor was going to ride the exercise bike back on the field.

Clearyweareone

Post by Clearyweareone » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:40 pm

Team means

Together
Everyone
Achieves
More

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:50 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 7:55 am
I like pk comment on 360 that there is a herd mantality in the nrl speaking about why corey thompson went to super league. Cleary definitely bucks that trend.
Not sure I follow here Nucky... can you explain?
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 2:06 pm

steve-o wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:50 pm
Nucky Thompson wrote:

They were asking why corey thompson hasnt been playing nrl. pk said there is a herd mantality with nrl recruiters one person will say that player is not nrl standard then the whole nrl will brand him like that.

Not the case with cleary picking players like thompson and godinet nobody else wanted.

Cosimo_Zaretti

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 2:28 pm

Clearyweareone wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:40 pm
Team means

Together
Everyone
Achieves
More
Was your first job at Woolworths too?

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 5:11 pm

Clearyweareone wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:40 pm
Team means

Together
Everyone
Achieves
More
I think you assume too much.

When you assume, you make an ASS out of U & ME
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 6:01 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 2:06 pm
steve-o wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:50 pm
Nucky Thompson wrote:

They were asking why corey thompson hasnt been playing nrl. pk said there is a herd mantality with nrl recruiters one person will say that player is not nrl standard then the whole nrl will brand him like that.

Not the case with cleary picking players like thompson and godinet nobody else wanted.
Thanks for explaining. I for one was sceptical of the Thompson signing, but so far he looks like a great value pickup
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 6:04 pm

Woooow wooow woooo............. hold up a minute.
We've won one game, it was round 1.

Ivan has achieved ZERO, ZIP, NADA, NONE, ZILCH!!!!!

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 7:54 pm

TIGER wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 6:04 pm
Woooow wooow woooo............. hold up a minute.
We've won one game, it was round 1.

Ivan has achieved ZERO, ZIP, NADA, NONE, ZILCH!!!!!
We havent beat the roosters since 2011.