Steve 'Blocker' Roach suggests Wests Tigers move to Perth

Wests Tigers Discussion
innsaneink

Re: Steve 'Blocker' Roach suggests Wests Tigers move to Perth

Post by innsaneink » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 9:37 pm

willow wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 9:19 pm
I've lived in Perth for the past 13 months. From what I've seen a Rugby League team wouldn't work here.
That's probably not the aim....
... However there'd be one less Sydney team.
That's probably the aim of all this

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 9:37 pm

willow wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 9:19 pm
I've lived in Perth for the past 13 months. From what I've seen a Rugby League team wouldn't work here.
That's probably not the aim....
... However there'd be one less Sydney team.
That's probably the aim of all this

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 9:44 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 9:31 pm
Doc Tiger wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 10:43 am
gallagher wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 5:23 pm
eyewonder wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 4:56 pm
the western reds didnt work before so what would be different now.Any team would have to travel the width of australia every second week- a fiancial and physical drain.
for a nrl side to be successfully based in perth a rich consortium would need to back the venture.
besides which,who would attend the games?

Perth sportsfans are invested in the eagles and freemantle.rugby league would always be second choice after a.f.l.
if it does eventuate,its about time cronulla or eastern suburbs took a bullet for the good of the game.it aint the wests tigers turn again.
The reds were 20 years ago, the demographic of Perths population has changed massively.
38,000 league fans were out there the other night, not 38,000 curious AFL fans. A team, over time, would become quite successful.
You obviously don't understand Perth
It wasn’t that the Reds didn’t work out , Superleague sunk them
Wrong

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 10:12 pm

I think its safe to say that the NRL at some point.will back a team there. 38,000 people at the double header is impressive and with all games televised across the country these days its quite feasible that there is already a level of interest/support - vastly different to 20 years ago when the Reds were there.
Whether it will be a start up club or a forced move remains to be seen.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 7:54 am

ku5tom wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 12:08 am
the amount of travel would be brutal from Perth with no other teams close.
Does that mean that the AFL teams are immune from the effects of travelling, it hasn’t killed any of them yet, they must be tougher than us

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 7:57 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 7:54 am
ku5tom wrote:
Does that mean that the AFL teams are immune from the effects of travelling, it hasn’t killed any of them yet, they must be tougher than us
Trips from the west to the east are not a big deal, it's when they have to go to NZ.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 8:05 am

Eventually, There will be a team there again.
Whether we are smart enough to take advantage of that remains to be seen,
Probably not .we’ll just keep floating around without a real home of our own.and in 20 yrs time we’ll still be telling people about our fake close association with the Campbelltown area, and our hole in the ground (formally known as the Balmain Leagues Club).
And fighting all the other Sydney clubs over the same bone.

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 9:03 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 8:05 am
Eventually, There will be a team there again.
Whether we are smart enough to take advantage of that remains to be seen,
Probably not .we’ll just keep floating around without a real home of our own.and in 20 yrs time we’ll still be telling people about our fake close association with the Campbelltown area, and our hole in the ground (formally known as the Balmain Leagues Club).
And fighting all the other Sydney clubs over the same bone.
Better to go down fighting than give in like a bunch of wimps. Worked for Souffs.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 9:28 am

Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 7:57 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
ku5tom wrote:
Trips from the west to the east are not a big deal, it's when they have to go to NZ.
Simple answer .. get rid of NZ.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 9:56 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
ku5tom wrote:
I meant there is 2 teams in WA and 2 teams in SA and nothing in NZ which would make it easier

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:16 am

Doc Tiger wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 11:08 am
gallagher wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 10:52 am
Doc Tiger wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 5:23 pm

The reds were 20 years ago, the demographic of Perths population has changed massively.
38,000 league fans were out there the other night, not 38,000 curious AFL fans. A team, over time, would become quite successful.
Lived here for 14 years.
That shocks me. You must then be aware of the total intolerance of all things league by both the media and the general public. Yet, you somehow think that the gig would work. I admire your optimism.
I don't know Perth at all, only been there 3 times for work, but do you guys think there is a difference between intolerance of league and simply not having a league team to follow?

Clearly NRL takes games there and it brings crowds. Rugby had support. There is definitely an ex-pat population both from rugby league states and rugby/league followers overseas.

Would coverage of league in WA change if they had their own side? That question has already been raised and answered for Melbourne - the answer there is NO! They have the best team of the past 20 years and league is covered on page 20 of the sports section, behind lawn bowls and social pages talking about the partners of the Women's AFL players.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 11:00 am

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:16 am
Doc Tiger wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 11:08 am
gallagher wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 10:52 am
Doc Tiger wrote:

Lived here for 14 years.
That shocks me. You must then be aware of the total intolerance of all things league by both the media and the general public. Yet, you somehow think that the gig would work. I admire your optimism.
I don't know Perth at all, only been there 3 times for work, but do you guys think there is a difference between intolerance of league and simply not having a league team to follow?

Clearly NRL takes games there and it brings crowds. Rugby had support. There is definitely an ex-pat population both from rugby league states and rugby/league followers overseas.

Would coverage of league in WA change if they had their own side? That question has already been raised and answered for Melbourne - the answer there is NO! They have the best team of the past 20 years and league is covered on page 20 of the sports section, behind lawn bowls and social pages talking about the partners of the Women's AFL players.
The roosters average crowds would look impressive compared to a Perth team over the space of a few years comparison. Ex pats are transitional in the main. They come for work and then leave again. The stadium on show recently wouldn't be the league stadium. NIB is which is a terrific venue, but I don't think it's ever been packed for a league game or even a double header and these are on show on only a few occasions annually. So to suggest that a local team would draw crowds on a regular basis based on numbers that are provided so sporadically is just not something that you could take seriously. Perth fans of all sports (I'd say AFL excluded) are very much fair weather fans at the best of times. Look at rugby and soccer, if they dont win the fans disappear. If you start on a low base and with such resistance to the game and its growth by the locals with players predominantly past their prime as marquees which would probably be the case, then you're really up against it. Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than the game to spread far and wide, but Perth is way down the list on probable success stories in my opinion. Until the NRL decides to promote and grow the juniors, get into the schools & bring games on a regular basis instead of a couple of games a year, then it'll never work. Right now, the NRL does pretty much nothing across the board.
And the WARL from those that I've spoken to at a junior level are pretty hopeless.
They all really need to get their stuff together (and work together.)

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 3:33 pm

Doc Tiger wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 11:00 am

And the WARL from those that I've spoken to at a junior level are pretty hopeless.
They all really need to get their stuff together (and work together.)
It's interesting you say that, because I was of the understanding that the WARL are arguably the strongest rugby league affiliated state (i.e. not NSW, QLD or ACT). Victoria have won the U18s 7 years straight, but WA have won the Men's Opens 15/19 of the last seasons (including last 8 consecutive).

It's not as if the NRL pathways are flooded with Victorian junior players, so that U18s success isn't currently translating to top-tier professional players. I would also understand that the WA Opens side may be good enough to win the Affiliated Championship without any players good enough to play in the NRL system, but they have been very dominant outside of the traditional states.

And then to put it in context, the Storm are a extremely successful on-field club with a strong but small core fanbase, but who have barely penetrated the Victorian market and rarely competed with AFL. They source almost all their juniors from QLD even 20 years after their inception, despite what are evidently moderately successful junior sides (per above). On the other hand, high-profile games like Origin and Finals translate very well into Victorian TV viewership, so one can argue the business case in Victoria is less about developing high-quality junior pathways or big merchandise-buying crowds, but more about taking some slice of the Victorian advertising / marketing / major event / TV ratings pie.

Can the same argument not apply to WA, particularly because they stand alone in a very attractive time zone, can bring more viewers and have only 2 AFL sides (vs 10 Victorian sides)?

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 4:38 pm

AFL, cricket and soccer all have womens teams in a national code. But the second biggest football code in the country cant support a mens team?

What crap.

Nothing worse than league fans always talking down the game.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 4:51 pm

gallagher wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 4:38 pm
AFL, cricket and soccer all have womens teams in a national code. But the second biggest football code in the country cant support a mens team?

What crap.

Who's talking down the game?

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 5:06 pm

Doc Tiger wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 4:51 pm
gallagher wrote:

What crap.

You are. You've have nothing good to say about the game here.
In reality
NRL has regularly sold out NIB.
The WARL was reformed as NRLWA a couple of years ago.
Development officers have increased from 1 to 4,
The local competition has gone from 7 yo 11 clubs.
4000 juniors play the game.
The Pirates have been in the S G Ball the few seasons.
Youve either ignored all these good things or are living in a cave fearing daylight saving.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:14 pm

gallagher wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 5:06 pm
Doc Tiger wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 4:51 pm
gallagher wrote:

What crap.

You are. You've have nothing good to say about the game here.
In reality
NRL has regularly sold out NIB.
The WARL was reformed as NRLWA a couple of years ago.
Development officers have increased from 1 to 4,
The local competition has gone from 7 yo 11 clubs.
4000 juniors play the game.
The Pirates have been in the S G Ball the few seasons.
Youve either ignored all these good things or are living in a cave fearing daylight saving.
Right. We were involved with the giants club in joondalup for a number of seasons. A fantastic bunch of people and club. Always struggled for players in all junior ages.
Nib is a terrific venue and ive been to plenty of games there. Never seen it sold out. I desperately wish it was. The clubs you mention, yes, they've expanded the number of clubs recently, Alkimos, Ellenbrook, etc... but reality is that the juniors are simply thinned out to the point whereby certain age groups just disappear due to teams running out with 9 players or playing a friendly and borrowing players from the other team and forfeiting the points. 4000 registrations doesn't mean 4000 play the season. My sons team for instance started with 31 and played 4 games with 10 players due to drop out.
I don't know enough about the pirates to comment too much, but I dare say that they will always struggle due to a lack of interest from the nrl.
And I'm pro daylight saving.
Look, Im not here to argue, but I just think as much as I'd love to see the game Australia wide and the number one football code, I can't help but think that it's not Perth's time. And I've lived in the city for 20 very frustrating years.
But I've recently moved, so maybe I'm not entitled to an opinion.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 11:14 pm

NIB ground capacity is 20,500 since the re-development. They got 20,200 in 2013 and 20,700 in 2015.