Steve 'Blocker' Roach suggests Wests Tigers move to Perth

Wests Tigers Discussion
Masterton

Re: Steve 'Blocker' Roach suggests Wests Tigers move to Perth

Post by Masterton » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 11:07 am

I suggest Blocker goes west and shuts his mouth. Honestly, between Block, Tommy & Backdoor, we have more than our share of rent-a-comment nongs.

(ps., yes, they're all former champions. still nongs.)
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 11:08 am

So would Wests be running the cjub from Ashfield? That would work well.

If they can't make our club successful in Sydney with our large supporter base then they won't be able to do it anywhere.

Fibros

Post by Fibros » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 11:20 am

Pea brain.
We will smash em 50+ get on.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 12:09 pm

Just when you thought we could keep out of the headlines for the wrong reasons... Over waddles blocker. God damn it.

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 12:20 pm

domster wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 9:36 am
To say we have half the name is obviously a silly comment.

Having said that, moving to Perth is actually a good idea IMO.

1) We open up our supporter base to Perth increasing membership for our "new" home.

2) We package up an "away supporter" membership. Lets face it, there will be still be 8 teams left in Sydney. Lets say we play 5 games in Sydney as the away team most of which will be at ANZ. Why not have the club buy say 5,000-10,000 seats as needed (the stadium is obviously big enough), package them up with merchandise and re-sell them as an "away membership" to Sydney fans who can sit together in adjacent bays.

3) We do not have to fight we 8 other Sydney teams for sponsorship as the singe NRL team in Perth.

4) NRL will give the us x dollars to relocate paying for the move and marquee signings.

Negatives boys and girls?
I wouldn't follow a team based in Perth

Snake

Post by Snake » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 12:24 pm

There are clubs and NRL types worried that the Weststigers are getting there mojo ... the sleeping giant is waking up !

DonnyBrasco

Post by DonnyBrasco » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 1:32 pm

domster wrote:

1) We open up our supporter base to Perth increasing membership for our "new" home.

2) We package up an "away supporter" membership. Lets face it, there will be still be 8 teams left in Sydney. Lets say we play 5 games in Sydney as the away team most of which will be at ANZ. Why not have the club buy say 5,000-10,000 seats as needed (the stadium is obviously big enough), package them up with merchandise and re-sell them as an "away membership" to Sydney fans who can sit together in adjacent bays.

3) We do not have to fight we 8 other Sydney teams for sponsorship as the singe NRL team in Perth.

4) NRL will give the us x dollars to relocate paying for the move and marquee signings.

Som interesting points you make, and I think it would have been a possibility a few years ago when the club was in disarray, but things are looking better on and off the field and until that changes I don’t think many would be keen.
Tigers for 2022!

DonnyBrasco

Post by DonnyBrasco » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 1:32 pm

domster wrote:

Some interesting points you make, and I think it would have been a possibility a few years ago when the club was in disarray, but things are looking better on and off the field and until that changes I don’t think many would be keen.
Tigers for 2022!

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 1:45 pm

I live in the Hunter Valley and I know a lot of other Wests Tigers fans also live here. I'm prepared to do the travelling and I have memberships for both ANZ and Campbelltown BUT if they move my team to Perth, that's the end of me as a supporter.

Having said that, it isn't going to happen, even with the fat mouth advocating for it. This clown must get himself away from us or we should disown him for putting us in the headlines for the wrong reasons. JC, we need him like we need another bodily orifice.

prattenparkchild

Post by prattenparkchild » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 1:48 pm

Negatives?

If you relocate interstate, you will invariably loose your existing area- inner west and Campbelltown- to predatory remaining clubs. Already Canterbury, Souths, Penrith and Parramatta have made attempts, sometimes successful, to get at our territory and juniors. If we moved within a couple a years this 'local' area and players would be diminshed if not gone. Picked over by the remaining Sydney clubs. The concept of it remaining as a feeder area is doubtful to say the least.

WT have already taken one for the 'team' by merging when others didnt. Howabout the Rorters move? They've almost no junior base and have to buy most players- just as easy to buy from Perth than Bondi. Howabout getting another team into Brisbane or NZ or even a Pacific Islands team incorporating Fiji, PNG, Samoa and Tonga?

However, if the NRL takes junior and country development and competition away from the clubs and runs this themselves leaving the clubs solely as a NRL competition team with reserve grade, there is an argument to go to where the business may be good. I acknowledge Perth could be an option then.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 2:25 pm

Silentio wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 10:43 am
Sydney - an NRL city with eight teams and four million people. So, one team per 500,000 people.

Brisbane - an NRL city with one team and two million people. So, one team per 2,000,000.

Melbourne - not an NRL city with one team and four million people. SO one team per 4,000,000.

Perth - not an NRL city with 1.6 million people. Also twice as far from Sydney as Auckland.

I'm all for making the game stronger, but Perth is a dumb choice on many levels. Moving a team to Brisbane (the Roosters) is the obvious way to go.

The Broncos will hate it, but the game is bigger and more important than them.

Interestingly, the team to population ratio that the Broncos enjoy is the same as the Sydney based AFL and A-league sides.
I think that proves a Perth team is needed. I would target Perth and PNG as new areas as well as Brisbane suburbs for homes of Easts and Sharks. I would seriously just fund Junior development over there and have a few local superstars turn away from Union.
Truth is we either embed ourselves in Western Sydney or we will be moved around. The NRL is governed by Peter (what are the Sharks) Beattie. Ok I think he will actually do a good job but no one will understand the Western Sydney situation and that the Wests Tigers are of the West. Yes, our spiritual home will be Leichardt.

Someone has to go. No idea why people keep pointing our way compared to the phantom members in other clubs.

prattenparkchild

Post by prattenparkchild » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 2:35 pm

First let's see the nrl draw up some criteria for sydney based clubs to be equally judged against for a potential move.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 3:52 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 9:11 am
"if you have a look at it, they've already got half the name," Roach said.
What about this one blockhead: What is West Australia known for? Sharks. Howsa bout we move Cronulla instead?
Looks like Blockhead's been on the turps with Uncabenny.
Bill Harrigan said "they've already got half the name". Good ol' Honest Bill, who more than likely took a bribe to get the Raiders past the Tigers in '89.....yeah you would trust that cretin with deciding our games' future. God knows why they have him giving his 2 cents worth, he's a crook.

tigerbalm

Post by tigerbalm » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 4:04 pm

Not a fan of blocker. Think he's a relic of a long forgotten era but i am surprised at the amount of people that would not support the team if they couldn't see all the home games?? Ive relocated plenty of times both O/S and interstate and the only constant was the team that i supported. Some years I see more live games some years I see less. Not having a dig at anyone, i wish i could turn off my support like that though, it would make living in Melbourne much easier if i could just take the purple pill and follow the cheats but id sooner give up on league all together.

TigersBusDriver

Post by TigersBusDriver » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 4:08 pm

tigerbalm wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 4:04 pm
Not a fan of blocker. Think he's a relic of a long forgotten era but i am surprised at the amount of people that would not support the team if they couldn't see all the home games?? Ive relocated plenty of times both O/S and interstate and the only constant was the team that i supported. Some years I see more live games some years I see less. Not having a dig at anyone, i wish i could turn off my support like that though, it would make living in Melbourne much easier if i could just take the purple pill and follow the cheats but id sooner give up on league all together.
If the Tigers were to relocate to Perth, I'm sure a lot of the folks on here would give up on the NRL entirely. I doubt anyone would go for another Sydney team. However, if we were to relocate I wouldn't be pleased at all, but I would still make sure to follow that team no matter the circumstance

tigerbalm

Post by tigerbalm » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 4:12 pm

TigersBusDriver wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 4:08 pm
tigerbalm wrote:
If the Tigers were to relocate to Perth, I'm sure a lot of the folks on here would give up on the NRL entirely. I doubt anyone would go for another Sydney team. However, if we were to relocate I wouldn't be pleased at all, but I would still make sure to follow that team no matter the circumstance

You're probably right. I guess we lost a bunch during the merge too.

For me...If Wests relocating to Perth meant some big cash incentives, cap exceptions or whatever it was to ensure us a constant finals team I'd be for it...and the GF is always played in Sydney :)

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 4:28 pm

tigerbalm wrote:
Most of us gave up something when Wests and Balmain merged. Asking us to do it again is beyond the pale, many of us took ages to embrace Wests Tigers, why would we force that on the fresh generation of fans who only know WT.
And the sky is filled with light, can you see it?
And the black is really white, if you believe it.
And the longing that you feel, you know none of this is real;
You will find a better place, in this twilight...

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 4:31 pm

TigersBusDriver wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 4:08 pm
tigerbalm wrote:
Many people think they know what they would do or how they'd react before something like this happens..... Fact is you really don't know until it does happen