Taylor: Benji solves key problems for us

Wests Tigers Discussion
willow

Post by willow » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 6:38 pm

Author Tanisha Stanton Timestamp Tue 13 Mar 2018, 05:18 PM

Co-captain Elijah Taylor is in no doubt the Wests Tigers have now solved two of their major problems with the return of Benji Marshall.

The club has desperately missed the experience and on-field leadership of the 2010 Golden Boot winner since he left four years ago for a brief stint in rugby, three seasons at the St George Illawarra Dragons and another at the Brisbane Broncos.

Searching for the right recipe to revive the struggling joint venture club, coach Ivan Cleary turned to a familiar face in Marshall, who spent the first 10 years of his decorated playing career as a Tiger, including the memorable 2005 premiership victory.

In round one of the Telstra Premiership an underestimated Tigers clan proved they are here to compete with the big dogs with their 10-8 upset win over the Sydney Roosters at ANZ Stadium, with Marshall playing a central role after a late call-up to the starting side to replace injured recruit Josh Reynolds.

"Benji Marshall was outstanding in the weekend's game, his experience really shone through," Taylor said.

"When [Luke] Brooks got sent off for 10 minutes Benji just controlled the game, he slowed it down, he kicked it out.

"It was an outstanding performance from Benji and I believe having his experience on the field got us the win."

Russell Packer and Ben Matulino were also standouts and Taylor said having two more veterans by his side, along with Marshall, had lifted a weight off his shoulders.

"Definitely, it’s made it so much easier," he said.

"They’ve brought experience and a bit of mongrel to our pack as well. Their experience in that tight game was vital, they just knew exactly what to do.

"When you’re playing with experienced players they’re just really calm and they know exactly what’s needed at the time, because they’ve been there so many times before. Last year and the years before I suppose we’ve been inexperienced in those tight games and we’ve lost a lot of them.

"This year we’ve recruited well, we’ve brought experience and it showed what it can do in tight games."

Taylor said there was still work to be done to improve the Tigers leading into Saturday's clash against premiers Melbourne Storm.

"The win on the weekend wasn’t pretty, it was very scrappy but we showed our energy, our enthusiasm and our willingness to turn up for each other. It’s something we’ve tried to implement all pre-season from November so it’s good to see that the fruits of our labour are showing," he said.

"We’ve got to be consistent with our energy in defence and our attacks got to be a lot better. Our attack was clunky against the Roosters.

"We made a lot of soft errors and let them off the hook so we need to focus on completing our sets, getting to a kick and building pressure."

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 6:43 pm

Jesus.... before I clicked I thought the Rorters assistant Coach was talking Benji up..

phew..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 7:25 pm

JTs face was priceless when it looked like the Tigers were going to beat the Rooters. I thought his might have actual have forgot to breath for a good minute there. His mouth was open but he didn’t look healthy. I was ready to call for a de-fib
in Ivan we distrust

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 7:26 pm

Btw . I’d prefer our players to be saying we got lucky and get flying under the radar
in Ivan we distrust

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 9:11 pm

Benji is going to put the heat on now he is a chance to start.

Brooks would want to step up I thought he was ordinary on the weekend at least with the football.

Beni looked like the more dominant and commanding player by far.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 9:14 pm

If Benji continues to impress, it will be interesting to see How grub comes back into the team. Would not surprise me if he’s the bench utility.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 9:19 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 9:14 pm
If Benji continues to impress, it will be interesting to see How grub comes back into the team. Would not surprise me if he’s the bench utility.
The way Benji took ownership of the team, he looked more like a number 7 rather than a 5/8. I think the pressure will fall on Brooks rather than Reynolds.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 9:33 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 9:19 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
The way Benji took ownership of the team, he looked more like a number 7 rather than a 5/8. I think the pressure will fall on Brooks rather than Reynolds.
I totally agree.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 9:51 pm

Eddie wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 9:33 pm
FreddyK wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 9:19 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
I totally agree.
Marshalls short kicking game was great on Sat. Brooks really needs to impress.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 10:04 pm

If Brooks is struggling, and Grub is right to go, Benji will wear the seven. He outperformed Brooks in just about every facet in attack. That's not to say that Brooks was OK in patches.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 10:05 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 10:04 pm
If Brooks is struggling, and Grub is right to go, Benji will wear the seven. He outperformed Brooks in just about every facet in attack. That's not to say that Brooks was OK in patches.
He was alright. Nowhere near as bad as some are making out.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 10:14 pm

JR and Liddell will be coming back around the same time. They may share the 9 for a while? Not that I'm the biggest fan of JR at 9 but it's a possibility.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 10:16 pm

Absolutely for sure Liddle to 9, Reynolds to 6, Brooks to remain at 7 and Marshall to 14.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 10:22 pm

I haven't shared this observation for fear I'll be bitten as a Tyson fan. When Tyson came on during the second half against the Cowboys he was actually talking to Brookes ... not talking down but communication. They played really well and we scored plenty of points. I have wondered if Brooks feels a little overwhelmed with strong characters like Josh and Benji. I just think that Luke and Gamble might work well together and have some fun. It might bring out the best in Luke. Just a thought.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 10:37 pm

If Brooks fells overwhelmed at this stage of his career god help him.

I was stunned how much of the show Marshall ran on Saturday given all the pre season prep was around him being the 14.

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 10:17 am

Gotta be Benji 7 Reynolds 6, Brooks reserves. Unless Brooks does something magical really quick. Benji was clearly a better 7 last game.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 10:30 am

To be honest I was one that thought that Benji's best was way behind him, but I'm glad he proved me wrong.
He turned the clock back, he wasn't the Benji of old but much more composed and guided the team around the park really well.
It's great that players now have to prove themselves, as there are other players to replace them is they are under performing.

willow

Post by willow » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 12:06 pm

Jay wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 10:17 am
Gotta be Benji 7 Reynolds 6, Brooks reserves. Unless Brooks does something magical really quick. Benji was clearly a better 7 last game.
Agree. Brooks defence was much improved, but it's supposed to be his team to guide around the field, and Marshall definitely was the guy to steer us around.