Taylor: Benji solves key problems for us

Wests Tigers Discussion
User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5453
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Taylor: Benji solves key problems for us

Post by jirskyr » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 12:28 pm

I'm gonna buck trend and say I wasn't completely convinced with Benji last weekend. Definitely more controlled than Brooks, but also less of an attacking threat than Brooks.

Benji kicked to the sidelines several times but twice he failed to find it (one was an amazing Latrell catch at FT) and overall I thought his long kicking game was fairly poor, wasn't getting many metres.

What I did appreciate is that he only threw 1 wayward pass from memory, then when we needed some spark at the end he decided to chance his hand a little, take a quick tap here and there, do some jinking runs. He's still pretty evasive over 10-15 metres and still has a knack for following a kicked footy.

I'm not being anti-Benji, just I thought he did alright and can continue to improve. He was one of the Broncos' best in the finals last year, so I do really appreciate the composure he now plays with.

I personally reckon we managed the sin bin period so well because Roosters played ultra-conservative. We were happy they took the 2 points, they hardly shifted the ball at all and they didn't pressure our kickers enough during that period.


Bee-Em
Member
Member
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri 14 Apr, 2017 7:31 pm

Post by Bee-Em » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 12:32 pm

Would have been interesting to see how Brooks would have steered the team around last Saturday if it was a Brooks/Reynolds combo. Even more interesting what the final outcome would have been?

We will never know

User avatar
wmlmaster
Member
Member
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun 17 Jul, 2016 9:37 pm

Post by wmlmaster » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 12:59 pm

Jay wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 10:17 am
Gotta be Benji 7 Reynolds 6, Brooks reserves. Unless Brooks does something magical really quick. Benji was clearly a better 7 last game.
X2

User avatar
TigerSkins
Member
Member
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun 10 Nov, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Canberra

Post by TigerSkins » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:18 pm

If Gamble turns in another good performance for the Intrust Cup side .. he'll have to be the number 14 for us. He always looks like he wants to score points when he has the ball, and we certainly looked like we were struggling for points last weekend .. fortunate pass off someone's head then a good bounce for Thompson. I believe Benji has to run the ball more ... step his way around one then look for support, someone running off him like a Chris McQueen / Robbie Rowchawwwww (gawd that commentator bored the crap out of me in pronouncing his name) hitting the line hard.

Why not have a Benji at 7 and Gamble at 6 ?? the master and the apprentice .. lol

maxxy86
Member
Member
Posts: 1580
Joined: Fri 04 Mar, 2011 11:54 am

Post by maxxy86 » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:35 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 12:28 pm
I'm gonna buck trend and say I wasn't completely convinced with Benji last weekend. Definitely more controlled than Brooks, but also less of an attacking threat than Brooks.

Benji kicked to the sidelines several times but twice he failed to find it (one was an amazing Latrell catch at FT) and overall I thought his long kicking game was fairly poor, wasn't getting many metres.

What I did appreciate is that he only threw 1 wayward pass from memory, then when we needed some spark at the end he decided to chance his hand a little, take a quick tap here and there, do some jinking runs. He's still pretty evasive over 10-15 metres and still has a knack for following a kicked footy.

I'm not being anti-Benji, just I thought he did alright and can continue to improve. He was one of the Broncos' best in the finals last year, so I do really appreciate the composure he now plays with.

I personally reckon we managed the sin bin period so well because Roosters played ultra-conservative. We were happy they took the 2 points, they hardly shifted the ball at all and they didn't pressure our kickers enough during that period.
I tend to agree his performance was nothing short what I want from our halves. Sure there will be lots more things to work on in coming weeks.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:


User avatar
Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2319
Joined: Thu 06 Apr, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: Tweed Heads

Post by Tweed Tiger » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 10:03 pm

Never gets old, new version of Benji's old tricks at the club


Magpie Magic
Member
Member
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 2:17 pm

Post by Magpie Magic » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 12:00 pm

It would be silly to uproot Brooks just when he is gaining confidence and form. No need to change anything atm.
Can see Reynolds as a real shock weapon off the bench slotting in at 9 or anywhere. The sort of guy who could lift a team and smooth out performances over 80.
Furthermore, it seems as if Benji is in his element atm even saw a flick pass so you ride that.
Cleary will have to be super carefull with this. We are a budding squad with the best comraderie where everyone is on a level happy to play for the WT. This is a huge asset no easily replicated and can't be sustained more than 1 or 2 years by which time the team must evolve a little. But atm the moment this team feeling needs to be carefully managed and nurtured for the star of the team being the team can easily lose form.

User avatar
Basil Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue 18 Sep, 2012 10:35 am
Location: Northern NSW(ex-Sydney).

Post by Basil Tiger » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 10:47 am

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 12:28 pm
I'm gonna buck trend and say I wasn't completely convinced with Benji last weekend. Definitely more controlled than Brooks, but also less of an attacking threat than Brooks.
FWIW i agree,if you look back at Benji's time with us from around 2008/9 forward he always starts the season well,the accolades are rolled out,he's on all the Footy Shows etc. but his form slowly drops off as the season progresses for what ever reason.His time with Potter is a good eg. of this,he had the attitude/ego all he had do was run on the field.
Anyway different Benji this time around with the ego under control and i hope he has a great season and his current form is not just a 'dead cat bounce' as his career winds down.
Last edited by Basil Tiger on Fri 23 Mar, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1048
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 10:53 am

Well I’ll throw a curve ball into the mix. I’d be offering him a one year extension. The passion and drive are still there and considering the type of game he plays, I reckon his body can hold up.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

rex2ce
Member
Member
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue 25 Mar, 2014 9:43 am
Location: Newcastle

Post by rex2ce » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 11:18 am

I agree

User avatar
jrtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun 19 Apr, 2015 5:17 pm

Post by jrtiger » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 12:22 pm

See how his body holds up for the rest of the season. Of course it's a yes, but he just needs to be managed to ensure he can go another year.

TigerSJ
Member
Member
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2014 9:44 pm

Post by TigerSJ » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 12:45 pm

That highlights package of him always brings a smile to my face - what a freak he was in his prime. It is fantastic the way he's mellowed and his game has evolved. I think he was great for us back then and he's great for us now in lots of ways. All power to him, and I hope he gets the accolades and winds up his career the way he deserves. Also should mention the foresight of Ivan and Pascoe etc for bringing him back - many wouldn't have.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 20957
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 12:45 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 23 Mar, 2018 10:53 am
Well I’ll throw a curve ball into the mix. I’d be offering him a one year extension. The passion and drive are still there and considering the type of game he plays, I reckon his body can hold up.
Bit early. Lets see how things are after round 25. No need to rush it. He's not going to play anywhere else in 2019.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 20957
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 12:49 pm

Watching his press conference this morning, he even speaks like a different man. Said he was happy to do whatever Ivan wanted in the interest of the team, even if it means coming off the bench. Contrast that to the guy who spat the dummy when Potter benched him. The person he's become is just as good to see as his form on the field.

User avatar
barra
Member
Member
Posts: 2243
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Sth Coast

Post by barra » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 2:07 pm

Basil Tiger wrote:
Fri 23 Mar, 2018 10:47 am
jirskyr wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 12:28 pm
I'm gonna buck trend and say I wasn't completely convinced with Benji last weekend. Definitely more controlled than Brooks, but also less of an attacking threat than Brooks.
FWIW i agree,if you look back at Benji's time with us from around 2008/9 forward he always starts the season well with us,the accolades are rolled out,he's on all the Footy Shows etc. but his form slowly drops off as the season progresses for what ever reason.His time with Potter is a good eg. of this,he had the attitude/ego all he had do was run on the field.
Anyway different Benji this time around with the ego under control and i hope he has a great season and his current form is not just a 'dead cat bounce' as his career winds down.
I'm with you guys for this reason: So far we've seen Benji taking a conservative, leadership role in a side that needed to be calm and defend, and he's done that very well with few errors and a polished, measured kicking game. This is a different mindset to the previous Benji who was all about attack and often blew it because he tried too hard or went for a hero play.

So we have a defensive Benji... are we going to see the 'old' attacking Benji who pushed things too far too often and made so many frustrated? Once the focus starts to switch to our attack, all will be revealed...

Until then I'll applaud Benji for what he's done in these early rounds, love seeing him back in our colours and the maturity he's showing but not get too carried away that he is what the team needs every week.

Red88 Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri 08 Dec, 2017 5:37 pm

Post by Red88 Tiger » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 2:53 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 23 Mar, 2018 12:45 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 23 Mar, 2018 10:53 am
Well I’ll throw a curve ball into the mix. I’d be offering him a one year extension. The passion and drive are still there and considering the type of game he plays, I reckon his body can hold up.
Bit early. Lets see how things are after round 25. No need to rush it. He's not going to play anywhere else in 2019.
Round 15 i reckon. Come round 25 chances are he'll have a job lined up outside of footy

User avatar
Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2319
Joined: Thu 06 Apr, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: Tweed Heads

Post by Tweed Tiger » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 6:35 pm


Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3370
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Eddie » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 6:49 pm

You have to be proud of every single one of them right now as a fan.

Post Reply