Grant Ponders NRL Future

Wests Tigers Discussion
willow

Grant Ponders NRL Future

Post by willow » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 11:14 pm

Grant Ponders NRL Future
Author Nicholas Janzen (Twitter: @NicholasJanzen) Timestamp Sat 17 Mar 2018, 05:14 PM

Former NSW Origin prop Tim Grant believes the curtain has not drawn on his NRL career and is determined to play first-grade football – whether at the Wests Tigers or another club.

Fresh off a strong performance in the Western Suburbs Magpies’ second win of the 2018 Intrust Super Premiership NSW season, Grant, who scored a try in his team’s 34-22 victory, believes his form is as good now as it’s ever been.

“I just turned 30, I’ve got this year left at the Tigers, and my body feels the best it’s ever been. I’ve played 80 games straight now so I’m feeling good,” Grant, who played two Origin matches for NSW in 2012, tells NSWRL.com.au.

“They’re pretty rare (tries), but it’s good to get over the line and get a good hit-out with the boys and blow the cobwebs out for the year.

“Hopefully this year with the Tigers but moving forward if it’s not at the Tigers it’s somewhere else. I know myself I’ve got a lot to offer and I hope someone else sees that as well.”

Grant was selected in the Wests Tigers’ 21-man NRL squad for the Round 1 clash with the Roosters, but never took the field. He insists playing in the Intrust Super Premiership is a strong challenge, and reflective of the competition at the club.

“[Intrust Super Premiership] is a good platform not just for the older guys to get some game time but for the younger guys to prove themselves as well… it’s a good competition and it’s part of the game,” Grant, who started at Penrith before moving to South Sydney and eventually linking with Wests Tigers, says.

“I think depth, the amount of off-season signings we made, we were one of the most active clubs, and there are only 17 players selected in the NRL each week but there are 30 in our squad, and there are 30 genuine first-graders. The filtration goes back to ISP and I think that’s the key – personnel.”

Grant, however, knows that competition for spots comes with a kicker. That’s why he’s open to future opportunities elsewhere.

“Rugby League’s a business now, that’s my passion and I love what I do, and I’d love to get an opportunity at the Tigers but moving forward if that’s not there and they want to invest in younger guys I’m happy to go anywhere in the NRL,” he says.

“I love the game, I love everything about it. I’ve been to a few different clubs now and there are good people at every club and a change of clubs, you don't miss out on anything moving [to a new club], your network broadens. If it’s at the Tigers or if it’s somewhere else I’ll be playing on.

“To be honest I feel like my trial form in the NRL is up there with some of the best football I’ve played.

“I never put a time on [career length], but I’m ready to go, my body’s right and I’m playing my best footy – just looking for that opportunity.”

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 11:17 pm

He’s long odds playing any first grade this year. We are sufficiently covered.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 11:20 pm

It’s great to have depth but if Tim wants to go to an opportunity that opens up else where good luck to him

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 11:22 pm

Thought I'd read that before some time ago

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 11:22 pm

Wel imagine in a big game end of year a few injuries touch wood and someone like thats available sure he'd have a good game.
Love to see the magpies in finals as well as the WT.

Gets easier now.

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 11:24 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 11:17 pm
Actually he is at very short odds to play First grade this year. He is number 5 in our prop rotation and ive never seen a team go through all year with their top 4 props playing every game be it through injury, suspension or just needing a break.

Given that he will play NRL this year as will Suaso Sue but hwo much depends on all the factors mentioned above and form. I doubt a young bloke likeTwal can play like he did the last couple of weeks all year so he may need a rest plus you probably see at least Packer flying to the USA and back between games and he will prob rest the week he gets back you'd assume.

Love havign such great depth - we had 2 former Origin players in NSW cup and plenty more FG experience

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 11:26 pm

Boonboon2 wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 11:24 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Actually he is at very short odds to play First grade this year. He is number 5 in our prop rotation and ive never seen a team go through all year with their top 4 props playing every game be it through injury, suspension or just needing a break.

Given that he will play NRL this year as will Suaso Sue but hwo much depends on all the factors mentioned above and form. I doubt a young bloke likeTwal can play like he did the last couple of weeks all year so he may need a rest plus you probably see at least Packer flying to the USA and back between games and he will prob rest the week he gets back you'd assume.

Love havign such great depth - we had 2 former Origin players in NSW cup and plenty more FG experience
You don’t think Sue and Felise are ahead of him?

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:22 am

Gee
Reading this thread things are looking better than i thought. :master:

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:23 am

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 11:22 pm
He ponders a lot
Offical member of the MCK fan club.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:25 am

Never have enough props , he will get game time at some stage , he just needs to be ready to grasp it with two hands when the opportunity arises

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:34 am

He was next in line for the first round and was always going to play ISP this week once no one else pulled out prior to the team leaving for Melbourne. I agree with him on his trial form and feel he was very close to a spot in the initial seventeen.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:30 pm

hobbo wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:23 am
innsaneink wrote:
He ponders a lot
:lol:

They call him the ponderer, yeah the pon der er, he roams around and round and round......

Grant will get a decent crack in 1st grade throughout the season when inevitable injuries hit.

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:47 pm

Boonboon2 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Why does Packer need to fly to the USA between games?

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 1:01 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:30 pm
hobbo wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:23 am
innsaneink wrote:
He ponders a lot
:lol:

They call him the ponderer, yeah the pon der er, he roams around and round and round......

Grant will get a decent crack in 1st grade throughout the season when inevitable injuries hit.
Exactly ....he'd be frustrated as hell seeing the boys on a massive high and not being in first's
Offical member of the MCK fan club.

Fibros

Post by Fibros » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 1:01 pm

The_Doc wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:47 pm
Boonboon2 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Test match for NZ.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 1:10 pm

The_Doc wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:47 pm
Boonboon2 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Unlike here the Americans are very astute with whom they let in even for short visists, with his record I doubt he will get a visa.

Phantom_Tiger

Post by Phantom_Tiger » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 1:10 pm

Depth is a great thing this year. Hats of to all Players, Coahing Staff and Trainers. Go you Mighty Tigerpies. :D

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 7:42 pm

I actually thought Grant was one of our better players in the trials, his carries were tops, his main problem is he's a bit tardy around the ruck when he gets fatigued.