Any chance Brooks to 9 when Reynolds Returns?

Wests Tigers Discussion
formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: Any chance Brooks to 9 when Reynolds Returns?

Post by formerguest » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 12:13 am

Here we go, two rounds in with our half outplaying both his rivals, one deemed by many to be the best in the game and the other the protege that some were asking why ours can't play like him.

We have won both those games with Brooks playing halfback and doing the job of a halfback. I too have enjoyed the new look Benji playing the way he has with adaptations to his game and particularly during the absence of his seven for ten minutes. Still, for mine, you are kidding yourselves if you think he has been playing as anything other than the role of a six, a supporting role where he gets to pick and choose his moments, which is of course his forte.

I am really happy with the combination and expect our play to become more expansive and playing at the line against different opponents. Cleary had already chosen to use a half in the role of substitute hooker, which was to be Reynolds, so he may as well take that place on the bench unless something changes game or injury wise.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 7:15 am

Brooks has done a great job at 7 this year. In the two tight games we have played I believe he has played the type of game Ivan has instructed him to play. Nothing flashy just solid stuff for the full 80 minutes.
When Reynolds comes back I would have Reynolds coming of the bench. And slot in where needed. When the dummy half needs a break, I'll think it will be a mixture of Reynolds and ET. I don't think Reynolds will be at DH for every tackle of the set but will pick his moments.
in Ivan we distrust

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 7:31 am

I think Reynolds comes straight back into 5/8. benji the 14

Its Ivans plan A
Its an opinion!

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 7:58 am

Reynolds really hasnt played alot of footy for a long time, coming off the bench maybe the best option for him and the team.
Alot can happen in a week in footy and until he is ready to return its a decision thats probably best left until then.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 8:10 am

I reckon Cleary would attempt Marshall at Fullback before switching Luke to DH.

I dont see any reason to change Ivans pre-season preference once Reynolds comes back. The only difference may see Reynolds from the Bench instead of Marshall.

One thing is for certain, less of Marshall is usually more so having him off the bench makes more sence!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 8:13 am

Eddie wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 5:54 pm
I think this has some legs as perhaps a long term solution. Dont get me wrong I really like Liddle however he is young and coming off a double shoulder reco. Probably not an 80 minute proposition for a while. I dont rate our current 2 hookers even though they are doing an admirable job in a great gutsy team performances.

Benji is running the team its so clear to see. Commanding the kicking game and barking orders to everyone. He is not going back to the bench.

We cant build our whole season off 10-8 victories. Like the Dragons last season we will by physically exhausted by mid season . We need some more spark in attack. Thats where hopefully Reynolds comes into it. With some of his off the cuff play out wide and ability to sniff out a try.

I actually think Brooks could be a really good number 9 in time. With a left foot kicking game and his defence is improving out of sight. He has a chunky build and is quick off th mark and can have a good passing game. A lot crisper then Reynolds anyway and more suited to 9.

Dont get me wrong the guys doing the job at the moment and this is not bagging Brooks. I just personally never see him turning into a great halfback. And i would hate to see Reynolds at 9 where i think he would be horrible.

Thoughts guys?
Ithink he’good where he is now , completely away from the field.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:42 am

Leave it as it is. It's working so just leave it.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:50 am

If Josh does come into the side, Benji needs to at least be in the halves to finish the game. We need that composure. That said, he's getting on a bit and could probably do with a rest at some point.

I can see it working like this.

* Brooks, Benji and Pita/Liddle to start
* Reynolds on at 30 mins to 6, Benji has a rest
* Benji back on at 55 mins, Reynolds to hooker. Pita/Liddle to bench.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 1:11 pm

ku5tom wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 7:06 pm
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c97d6d9b96
March 19, 2018 6:00pm
Source: FOX SPORTS
Ennis: Moving Brooks to No.9 makes way for Benji and Reynolds, and unlocks points in Tigers’ attack

MICHAEL Ennis has offered up a shock solution for how to fit Josh Reynolds, Benji Marshall and Luke Brooks into the Wests Tigers spine.

With Ivan Cleary’s men two from two, his team is yet to play a game with marquee recruit Reynolds.

The playmaker has been sidelined to start the season after tearing his hamstring before the season opener but with Reynolds nearing his return, questions are being asked about where he fits into the side.

Reynolds’ former Bulldogs teammate Michael Ennis has thrown up a solution to Cleary’s halves headache, even though it’s a very left-field fix.

“I’d play Josh Reynolds at five-eighth,” Ennis declared on Fox Sports.

“Benji Marshall has done enough to show he cannot be removed from this side … he’s happy to play the orchestrator. He doesn’t need the flamboyance in his game anymore. He’s matured so much.

“I would go with Luke Brooks at dummy half.”

But what would that switch mean for Pita Godinet?

Jacob Liddle is also on the verge of returning from injury, while Matt McIlwrick has been starting from the bench.

Ennis believes Godinet and Brooks should share the hooking role.

“I would keep Pita Godinet, whose been superb and a point of difference and showing some attack out of dummy half, but I would go Luke Brooks with his left foot kicking game and speed out of dummy half,” Ennis continued.

“That provides some real stability around the ruck and would also allow Marshall and Josh Reynolds to play the football they’re capable of.

“10 points in both games. Yes, it’s been great defensively and you can’t fault their work ethic but we’ve seen with the Dragons in recent years, when you build your whole season on defence and you can’t find points, you get worn out. The Tigers need to find points and that’s what Josh Reynolds does.”

I watch this and the entire panel basically laughed at Ennis.

Stupid idea - Benji is not our long term solution, I really love having him back however I'd be surprised if his form continues enough to warrant another season.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 1:13 pm

hammertime wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:50 am
If Josh does come into the side, Benji needs to at least be in the halves to finish the game. We need that composure. That said, he's getting on a bit and could probably do with a rest at some point.

No, you don't "rest" halves, if Benji needs a "rest" and can't get through a game then he should have a permanent "rest".

Everyone is trying to come up with a complicated solution to a problem we don't have.
The fact is Benji and Brooks are working fine for now, so there's no problem.
Stop trying to create one just to solve it.

Reynolds when 100% fit, bides his time.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 3:53 pm

I think we have the worst attack in the NRL statistically behind Parra at the minute.

So to suggest everyone is working fine is a bit of a stretch.

We are defending outstandingly.

However realistically how many games are we going to win putting up 10 points? No more then 6-8 all season. Yes i now we played two strong defensive sides.

Im not saying change it. However I'm sure Ivan like the fans is looking at ways and combo where we can improve it to match our defence as the season progresses.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 3:55 pm

Spartan117 wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 1:11 pm
ku5tom wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 7:06 pm
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c97d6d9b96
March 19, 2018 6:00pm
Source: FOX SPORTS
Ennis: Moving Brooks to No.9 makes way for Benji and Reynolds, and unlocks points in Tigers’ attack

MICHAEL Ennis has offered up a shock solution for how to fit Josh Reynolds, Benji Marshall and Luke Brooks into the Wests Tigers spine.

With Ivan Cleary’s men two from two, his team is yet to play a game with marquee recruit Reynolds.

The playmaker has been sidelined to start the season after tearing his hamstring before the season opener but with Reynolds nearing his return, questions are being asked about where he fits into the side.

Reynolds’ former Bulldogs teammate Michael Ennis has thrown up a solution to Cleary’s halves headache, even though it’s a very left-field fix.

“I’d play Josh Reynolds at five-eighth,” Ennis declared on Fox Sports.

“Benji Marshall has done enough to show he cannot be removed from this side … he’s happy to play the orchestrator. He doesn’t need the flamboyance in his game anymore. He’s matured so much.

“I would go with Luke Brooks at dummy half.”

But what would that switch mean for Pita Godinet?

Jacob Liddle is also on the verge of returning from injury, while Matt McIlwrick has been starting from the bench.

Ennis believes Godinet and Brooks should share the hooking role.

“I would keep Pita Godinet, whose been superb and a point of difference and showing some attack out of dummy half, but I would go Luke Brooks with his left foot kicking game and speed out of dummy half,” Ennis continued.

“That provides some real stability around the ruck and would also allow Marshall and Josh Reynolds to play the football they’re capable of.

“10 points in both games. Yes, it’s been great defensively and you can’t fault their work ethic but we’ve seen with the Dragons in recent years, when you build your whole season on defence and you can’t find points, you get worn out. The Tigers need to find points and that’s what Josh Reynolds does.”

I watch this and the entire panel basically laughed at Ennis.

Stupid idea - Benji is not our long term solution, I really love having him back however I'd be surprised if his form continues enough to warrant another season.
Ennis who played 14 years at hooker in the NRL?

Was laughed down by James Hooper and Yvonne Sampson...

Do you really want to make that point?

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 4:29 pm

I think your argument has legs... however steers very far from the vision Cleary has for Wests right now. It would also hinder and un-do all the hard work, off-season spent working on Brooks in the halves. When Josh is healthy I imagine he'll either spend a few games in ISP and slot back into 6, or come straight back into 14. It'll come down to who is performing better at the time. Regardless we will be carrying a 14 utility player.
The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 4:37 pm

This is why Ennis is on tv and not in the coach's box.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 5:45 pm

Please answer me this.
Why does the halfback have to be the dominating half in the side?
If his talking and organising plays 1-6 in the team and gets over called by a player that sees something else what is wrong with that?
Can I cast you guys back to when the Broncos had Peter Wallace and Lockyer in the halves. Which one was the dominant one in the side even after Lockyer came back from a long injury layoff and Wallace was praised for getting the team around the park in his absence?
Brooks may not play like Ash Taylor where every FINAL play comes off him but his doing just fine managing the other 4 plays in the set. You can’t tell me Godinet is organising the sets from hooker.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 7:31 pm

TIGER wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 1:13 pm
hammertime wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:50 am

No, you don't "rest" halves, if Benji needs a "rest" and can't get through a game then he should have a permanent "rest".

Everyone is trying to come up with a complicated solution to a problem we don't have.
The fact is Benji and Brooks are working fine for now, so there's no problem.
Stop trying to create one just to solve it.

Reynolds when 100% fit, bides his time.
How true? If it aint broke...
"Quality Stupidity"

willow

Post by willow » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 9:20 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 7:31 am
I think Reynolds comes straight back into 5/8. benji the 14

Its Ivans plan A
No way, not anymore. Benji is killing it and Reynolds hasn't played since the Sharks trial and has zero match fitness behind him. No way he walks back into the 6 jersey unless Benji suffers an injury.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 5:46 pm

Eddie wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 3:53 pm
I think we have the worst attack in the NRL statistically behind Parra at the minute.

So to suggest everyone is working fine is a bit of a stretch.

We are defending outstandingly.

However realistically how many games are we going to win putting up 10 points? No more then 6-8 all season. Yes i now we played two strong defensive sides.

Im not saying change it. However I'm sure Ivan like the fans is looking at ways and combo where we can improve it to match our defence as the season progresses.
I agree we need to score more points, in fact it was my biggest concern heading into the Storm game I said we're not gonna win by scoring 10 points, we bloody did though.

From what I've seen of Reynolds it's not as if our attack is going to improve much if at all and it's not worth unsettling Benji and Brooks.

To beat those two teams back to back, yes absolutely things are working fine so far, that's why I'd hesitate to change anything.
Sometimes just not letting in points and getting a few opportunist tries or lucky bounces off kicks etc is enough, the fancy attacking points can just be the icing on the cake.
I'm not concerned about our attack at all, as long as we're in a position to win the game when I counts we'll win our fair share.
So far we've been in the game for 80mins and that's all you can ask for right now.