Any chance Brooks to 9 when Reynolds Returns?

Wests Tigers Discussion
Eddie

Any chance Brooks to 9 when Reynolds Returns?

Post by Eddie » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 5:54 pm

I think this has some legs as perhaps a long term solution. Dont get me wrong I really like Liddle however he is young and coming off a double shoulder reco. Probably not an 80 minute proposition for a while. I dont rate our current 2 hookers even though they are doing an admirable job in a great gutsy team performances.

Benji is running the team its so clear to see. Commanding the kicking game and barking orders to everyone. He is not going back to the bench.

We cant build our whole season off 10-8 victories. Like the Dragons last season we will by physically exhausted by mid season . We need some more spark in attack. Thats where hopefully Reynolds comes into it. With some of his off the cuff play out wide and ability to sniff out a try.

I actually think Brooks could be a really good number 9 in time. With a left foot kicking game and his defence is improving out of sight. He has a chunky build and is quick off th mark and can have a good passing game. A lot crisper then Reynolds anyway and more suited to 9.

Dont get me wrong the guys doing the job at the moment and this is not bagging Brooks. I just personally never see him turning into a great halfback. And i would hate to see Reynolds at 9 where i think he would be horrible.

Thoughts guys?
Last edited by Eddie on Mon 19 Mar, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

teddy23

Post by teddy23 » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 5:56 pm

Other way around, I'd have Reynolds at 9

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 5:57 pm

Reynolds passing game is far too inconsistent to even be an average number 9 for me. Brooks has a better short kicking game and a better passing game for mine and i have been super impressed with his defence this year. The main thing you want from your 9 is a bit of pace and good service. Im just saying I think Brooks long term it could be his spot, i know its based off nothing - however I just dont ever see him turning into a great halfback.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 6:08 pm

Long term I think Brooks could be a 9 with Cleary Jr’s seemingly inevitable arrival. Not this year though. He seems to be finally finding his feet, why muck it up?

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 6:27 pm

Is he really finding his feet at halfback?

I must be watching a different game. He has his moments however he is far from a commanding force.

I dont want to bag him. However Marhsal is controlling the games. He is owning the games. He is the leader of the 2.

We bought Reynolds for 800K. We have scored 20 points in 2 games. He can add to our attack.

I just think some of Brooks best attributes could be at 9. Im just looking at ways he can maybe improve.

Everyone knows we ant win games 10-8 all year. Dont get be wrong its fantastic. You can build strong foundation and culture and a winning mentality off what we are doing.

I could be wrong with Brooks. Its just a suggestion.

hugh1954

Post by hugh1954 » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 6:41 pm

I think we have to see how Brooks develops under Ivan with a good forward Rotation, time with a tough committed pack will tell us if Brooks has the skills and mindset to be our No 7.

Also love to hear from a dogs fan that they are calling our Sharon a new name "deadwood" and the Eels must be stating to see their Brats antics when things go wrong

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 6:55 pm

Eddie, I can you are saying this as respectfully and constructively as possible, and don't think it's crazy, but a lot of it is subjective. I have been happy with Luke so far this year. When he was great in attack, people bagged his defence, when his defence started to improve people bagged his short kicking, when his short kicking finally shows signs of improving we want to change his position altogether. I don't think it is fair to him, his 80 odd games have been with with different coaches, packs and halves partners and I'd like to see JR return off the bench. I could live with seeing Brooks go to Dummy half if and when this happens, as I share your concerns about Reynolds and think he is an out and out running half.

I think Cleary is going to make a very tough call on one of our three halves as all have a solid argument to be there. The one who should be playing 80 minutes on current form is definitely Benji. I'm happy to trust the powers that be to work this one out.

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 7:00 pm

Here’s an alternative, could Reynolds replace Kev in the centres? Good defence, quick, runs the footy well. Just an idea.

I don’t see the need to change a winning team, especially our halves. I think this is invaluable experience for Brooks & JR will have to work his way into the team from the bench when ready.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 7:03 pm

I've thought Brooks would make a good hooker for a while now. Having said that, him and Benji are combining great at the moment. We need to let that develope further and just bring Reynolds off the bench.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 7:06 pm

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c97d6d9b96
March 19, 2018 6:00pm
Source: FOX SPORTS
Ennis: Moving Brooks to No.9 makes way for Benji and Reynolds, and unlocks points in Tigers’ attack

MICHAEL Ennis has offered up a shock solution for how to fit Josh Reynolds, Benji Marshall and Luke Brooks into the Wests Tigers spine.

With Ivan Cleary’s men two from two, his team is yet to play a game with marquee recruit Reynolds.

The playmaker has been sidelined to start the season after tearing his hamstring before the season opener but with Reynolds nearing his return, questions are being asked about where he fits into the side.

Reynolds’ former Bulldogs teammate Michael Ennis has thrown up a solution to Cleary’s halves headache, even though it’s a very left-field fix.

“I’d play Josh Reynolds at five-eighth,” Ennis declared on Fox Sports.

“Benji Marshall has done enough to show he cannot be removed from this side … he’s happy to play the orchestrator. He doesn’t need the flamboyance in his game anymore. He’s matured so much.

“I would go with Luke Brooks at dummy half.”

But what would that switch mean for Pita Godinet?

Jacob Liddle is also on the verge of returning from injury, while Matt McIlwrick has been starting from the bench.

Ennis believes Godinet and Brooks should share the hooking role.

“I would keep Pita Godinet, whose been superb and a point of difference and showing some attack out of dummy half, but I would go Luke Brooks with his left foot kicking game and speed out of dummy half,” Ennis continued.

“That provides some real stability around the ruck and would also allow Marshall and Josh Reynolds to play the football they’re capable of.

“10 points in both games. Yes, it’s been great defensively and you can’t fault their work ethic but we’ve seen with the Dragons in recent years, when you build your whole season on defence and you can’t find points, you get worn out. The Tigers need to find points and that’s what Josh Reynolds does.”

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 7:11 pm

gallagher wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 7:03 pm
I've thought Brooks would make a good hooker for a while now. Having said that, him and Benji are combining great at the moment. We need to let that develope further and just bring Reynolds off the bench.
I would have no problem with that to start with.

I just think our best halfback is Benji,

Our best 6 is prob reynolds.

And 9 is really up for grabs. And i think Reynolds would be really poor there.

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 7:17 pm

Reynolds at 9 with Liddle coming off the bench when fit. If Brooks doesn't improve his kicking game and attack then move Reynolds to the halves.

willow

Post by willow » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 7:21 pm

Brooks at 9...In some respects it could work, his passing game is definitely better than Reynolds and he does have good acceleration, and the ability to break the line. The big question is how he would go defending in the middle consistently, that's where the question mark lingers for me. The spine does start to look more threatening in attack though.

Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Balmainbred » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 7:55 pm

Does anyone think Benji could play at 9, I think he has the speed, pass & he defends well. Maybe not over 80 minutes but a rotate with,Josh & Luke could be a good thing.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 8:00 pm

Why..?
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 8:01 pm

Reynolds to bench for McIlwrick - he can cover 6 or 9 if required.

A half is hard to replace mid-match if injuries strike - this would give us cover in that event.

TigersBusDriver

Post by TigersBusDriver » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 8:13 pm

I seriously think Mick Ennis had a look at this forum before appearing on the Big League Wrap tonight.

He made distinct mentions of Luke being moved to hooker due to his superior passing and kicking game, and also mentioned our attack not doing much comparing it to how the Dragons wore out last year.

Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Balmainbred » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 8:15 pm

Geo. wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 8:00 pm
Why..?
How else could you have the three of them in the side. I only asked for everyone’s opinion