The Next Couple Of Weeks..

Wests Tigers Discussion
shane2801

The Next Couple Of Weeks..

Post by shane2801 » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 8:12 pm

I think the next 3 weeks will show where we'll be at with regards to making the 8 this year. It's very hard not to get excited and the media are finally into us but in a good way.

This week there isn't any reason why we could not continue on our winning way. There have been too many years where we string a couple of wins together early but then fall in a heap, mainly due to injuries. We finally have a little depth and there is a lot of pressure from certain Magpies for the current squad to keep their positions. This can only be a positive.

If the Broncos win this week it's not the end of the world, provided we turn up, have a go and the scoreline is close. If it's a blowout 26-6 etc then the past fortnight will lose a lot of it's shine I believe. Usually I would be expecting a loss after a couple of wins but I remind myself that Ivan Cleary is in charge and he has something that the WT have not had in years. Respect for the coach and each other. :sign:
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 8:15 pm

The Storm game will be tough with the short turnaround across the ditch. Can easily win the next 2. I got us at 2.25 this afternoon. Generous bookies 😂😂

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 8:29 pm

I touched on stringing wins together a few weeks back... Something we didn't do at all last year.
Two wins from three games all season will see us playing in September... We just have to avoid stringing losses together.
We need to start scoring points soon though cause we can't defend games all year... it doesn't work

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 9:03 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 8:29 pm
I touched on stringing wins together a few weeks back... Something we didn't do at all last year.
Two wins from three games all season will see us playing in September... We just have to avoid stringing losses together.
We need to start scoring points soon though cause we can't defend games all year... it doesn't work
Liddle will be back soon. I think we'll really notice a difference in attack when he's in the team.
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 9:38 pm

The Broncos played a very intense game last week and they will find the trip to Cambo tough in front of a full house.
Ivan just needs to keep their feet on the ground and crowd will give them a huge lift.

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 10:51 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 8:29 pm
We just played two of the best defensive teams in the comp, so hopefully that’s sharpened the attack up and will start to become easier over the next few weeks. Did look to have improved from the first round though.

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 12:53 pm

As excited as everyone else is I feel that we will be reminiscent of the dragons side 2-3 years a go. Great defence and work ethic but struggled in attack. When the defnce started to falter they couldn't counteract it by scoring more points. We definitely need liddle back or at least a dummy half who can draw the markers and kick. We only need to score 2-3 tries a game and well be in it til the end.

jrtiger

Post by jrtiger » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 1:00 pm

Seantice wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 12:53 pm
As excited as everyone else is I feel that we will be reminiscent of the dragons side 2-3 years a go. Great defence and work ethic but struggled in attack. When the defnce started to falter they couldn't counteract it by scoring more points. We definitely need liddle back or at least a dummy half who can draw the markers and kick. We only need to score 2-3 tries a game and well be in it til the end.
I agree, but at the same time we're only 2 weeks into the competition and half of our team is new.

Attacking combinations are harder to form than defensive structures, and we'll be able to build on it with what we have. 3 major game breakers in Lolohea, Reynolds and Liddle were missing last week and we still managed to pull together a win, but at the same time our structure has changed and we now love getting teams into a grind with us because it's our style.

Rochow was very vocal when talking to the ABC in saying that our attack was shocking, but it will change. Remember that we aren't full strength and we've played 2 of the best defensive sides in the comp, and we only plan to improve on those attacking performances.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 1:07 pm

We need to temper this enthusiasm.

We wont be catching teams out again I fear and there is only so far we will go on enthusiasm alone.

I feel there is much improvement still to come as the team gels further.

Need to stick solid with our club even if we loose a few, bigger better things are on the horizon,

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 1:24 pm

Spartan117 wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 1:07 pm

We wont be catching teams out again I fear and there is only so far we will go on enthusiasm alone.

Need to stick solid with our club even if we loose a few, bigger better things are on the horizon,
Not a bad start tho for a rag tag bunch of misfits...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 1:59 pm

Seantice wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 12:53 pm

I said to my mate last week, we are where the Dragons were a few years ago and I fear we might not be able to keep winning as our attack just can not produce enough points. The good side is we are laying the foundations to build something special over the next few years and Rome was not built in a day.
The big test will come when the experts start us as specials, while we are under dogs we are a chance

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 2:16 pm

We'll be 3 - 0
The points will come this week against the Broncos

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 2:23 pm

Spartan117 wrote:

Ever the optimist 117 :)
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 2:25 pm

We have a terrible record with the Broncos, but I'm confident we'll turn that around this Friday night. Broncos have one of the weakest squads I've seen in years. They lost Kahu last weekend too.
The only danger is lying in the hands of Nikorima and Milford being quick and nimble playmakers. Hopefully our pack can keep them quiet and our halves out-skill theirs.
The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 3:26 pm

Spartan117 wrote:
This type of comment always interests me. In a team game, where oppositions are fairly well known (i.e. you play them at least once per year every year and may have played with or against certain players very many times) can teams really be "caught out"?

Maybe if you unleash a devastating novel tactic on a team Rd 1, or you completely change your regular gameplan or roster I could understand a team being unawares. But the comp is only 2 rounds old, how can Roosters / Storm failed to have prepared for us, or upon exactly what blueprint or plan were they expected to have prepared, esp for a side with as many personnel changes as ours this year?

I don't think either side were caught out, I think they were outplayed. We didn't throw many attacking tricks at them, we just had good completions, good line speed, plenty of talk in defence and reduced missed tackles.

Red88 Tiger

Post by Red88 Tiger » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 3:45 pm

kh_canada wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 2:25 pm
We have a terrible record with the Broncos, but I'm confident we'll turn that around this Friday night. Broncos have one of the weakest squads I've seen in years. They lost Kahu last weekend too.
The only danger is lying in the hands of Nikorima and Milford being quick and nimble playmakers. Hopefully our pack can keep them quiet and our halves out-skill theirs.
Line speed will limit their game

Snake

Post by Snake » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 4:00 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 3:26 pm
Spartan117 wrote:
This type of comment always interests me. In a team game, where oppositions are fairly well known (i.e. you play them at least once per year every year and may have played with or against certain players very many times) can teams really be "caught out"?

Maybe if you unleash a devastating novel tactic on a team Rd 1, or you completely change your regular gameplan or roster I could understand a team being unawares. But the comp is only 2 rounds old, how can Roosters / Storm failed to have prepared for us, or upon exactly what blueprint or plan were they expected to have prepared, esp for a side with as many personnel changes as ours this year?

I don't think either side were caught out, I think they were outplayed. We didn't throw many attacking tricks at them, we just had good completions, good line speed, plenty of talk in defence and reduced missed tackles.
This team is not the old and tied Tigers of old that coaches have prepared for...this team is a new kettle of fish coupled with a top notch coach.
The last two games teams thought it would be a walk in the park but as of Friday I think teams will be aware of what the Tigers can offer ...but as you have stated coaches still would not be able to have a game plan at this stage more to the point they will have there perspective teams up for there clash with the Tigers not the normal training run they are used to .
It will be interesting over the coming weeks if the Tigers can maintain there enthusiasm but at this stage who would of thought 2 and 0.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 11:22 am

Geo. wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 1:24 pm
Spartan117 wrote:

Not a bad start tho for a rag tag bunch of misfits...
Tremendous Start that I am savoring truly, Im watching, reading everything...

I have been disappointing in the past after allowing my expectations to bet the better of me.

Lets face it If your here reading and contributing your a Tigers fanatic.

This Is a Massive fortnight Broncos and Eels could see us 4 and 0... See what I mean....