Coaches Corner - Wests Tigers & Eels

Wests Tigers Discussion
Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Coaches Corner - Wests Tigers & Eels

Post by Tweed Tiger » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 6:14 pm

Coaches Corner

Steve Turner and Matt Elliott look at why the Eels are struggling and why the Tigers are flying after two rounds

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/201 ... -attitude/

krayola

Post by krayola » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 7:32 pm

Interesting stats they discussed...makes you think we've been the beneficiaries of some poor attack from our opposition as they're still searching for combinations. Ivan was right that we've picked a good time to play the best sides.
One of my sources is Pascoe

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 8:01 pm

I like when Matty Elliott talks tactics, got a great analytical brain for the game.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 12:35 am

Good scrambling defence
I'm happy with that as long as we keep showing up
Its a trait of Jonathan Thustons
He never gives up and always seems to make that last ditch effort that wins them games

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 1:33 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 21 Mar, 2018 8:01 pm
I like when Matty Elliott talks tactics, got a great analytical brain for the game.
CB Robbie Rochow was Grandstand Sunday week ago and Elliott had massive raps on Rochow as a future NRL coach

Love listening to him talking rugby league , for me he is the Ian Chappell of the NRL a true visionary of the game moving forward

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 1:53 am

Cairnstigers wrote:
Thu 22 Mar, 2018 12:35 am
Good scrambling defence
He never gives up and always seems to make that last ditch effort that wins them games
JT reads the game better than anyone else I have seen play, and had a heart as big as phar laps.
Today we saw a true champion in Winx, and a true bludger in Cleary!

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 7:57 am

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Mar, 2018 1:33 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
CB Robbie Rochow was Grandstand Sunday week ago and Elliott had massive raps on Rochow as a future NRL coach

Love listening to him talking rugby league , for me he is the Ian Chappell of the NRL a true visionary of the game moving forward
Except he's not a total Wanker like Chappelli.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 8:22 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 22 Mar, 2018 7:57 am
happy tiger wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:

That wasn't the point though

For me this will be the big question though , when true fatigue starts to set in around Rd 8/9/10 how will we cope ??

Maybe short spells for players won't hurt , we do have some depth , resting blokes like Taylor , Matulino ,Packer , The Twuth , Rowdy for a Round out of every six might be beneficial down the track and give the blokes in ISP some extra motivation that they are close

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 8:42 am

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Mar, 2018 8:22 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:

For me this will be the big question though , when true fatigue starts to set in around Rd 8/9/10 how will we cope ??

Maybe short spells for players won't hurt , we do have some depth , resting blokes like Taylor , Matulino ,Packer , The Twuth , Rowdy for a Round out of every six might be beneficial down the track and give the blokes in ISP some extra motivation that they are close
Good idea - especially if it is given thought of who you can rest against what team.

Best suggestion for a long time on here.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 9:29 am

sheer64 wrote:
Thu 22 Mar, 2018 1:53 am
Cairnstigers wrote:
Good scrambling defence
JT reads the game better than anyone else I have seen play, and had a heart as big as phar laps.
Im guessing by the 64 in your name sheer, that youve seen Sterlo play.
Do you think JT reads the game better than he did...there was none better at this than Sterlo imo

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 9:55 am

innsaneink wrote:
Thu 22 Mar, 2018 9:29 am
sheer64 wrote:
Cairnstigers wrote:
Good scrambling defence
Do you think JT reads the game better than he did...there was none better at this than Sterlo imo
Paul Kent brought up a real good point yesterday

The players from the 80's dealt with limited replacements and therefore natural attrition tired forwards out who the made defensive errors due to fatigue

A bloke like Johnathan Thurston has done everything he has in the game against fresh forwards , week in week out and gets targeted every week like Cam Smith

I'm a huge fan of players like Sterling ,Lewis and Kenny , but when you weigh up with what the current halves deal with having to create against 110 kgs monsters who don't blow a candle out its hard to make a case for the 80's players

snowleopard

Post by snowleopard » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 9:58 am

Russell wrote:
Thu 22 Mar, 2018 8:42 am
happy tiger wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Good idea - especially if it is given thought of who you can rest against what team.

Interesting. I posted that idea a couple of weeks ago and the answer. Was I an Aussie cricket selelector.

With our forward depth in Grant, Sue, Felise and Sirronen we wouldn’t lose much if any one of them replaced any one of our currrent pack as the difference between them is relatively small. If the ISP team forwards keeps performing then the risk is even lower and they would be motivated by knowing that they will get their chance if they maintain a high standard.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 10:01 am

snowleopard wrote:
Thu 22 Mar, 2018 9:58 am
Russell wrote:
Thu 22 Mar, 2018 8:42 am
happy tiger wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:

Interesting. I posted that idea a couple of weeks ago and the answer. Was I an Aussie cricket selelector.

With our forward depth in Grant, Sue, Felise and Sirronen we wouldn’t lose much if any one of them replaced any one of our currrent pack as the difference between them is relatively small. If the ISP team forwards keeps performing then the risk is even lower and they would be motivated by knowing that they will get their chance if they maintain a high standard.
Don't listen to Geo and Hobbo = Forrest Gump

snowleopard

Post by snowleopard » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 10:07 am

and I forgot McQeen when he gets match fit

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 10:17 am

if Anyone it’s 100% fit they should be replaced . We have a lot of depth and for our style of game this year (high energy) we need everyone firing
in Ivan we distrust

Clearyweareone

Post by Clearyweareone » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 10:19 am

I agree with a rotation policy to keep players fresh throughout the season and allow fringe NRL players have a few games in the top grade.

When Warren Ryan coached the Canterbury Bulldogs in the 80's at the start of the season he identified how many games he would need to win to play finals football then look at the draw and identify winnable games and games he was happy to lose (these games he rested players). If they won games he identified as a loss than it would be a bonus plus he would have players fighting for positions.

Would like to see all our top 30 players given a run during the year.

It appears we will not lose any players during state of origin given our huge New Zealand contingent.

I know a lot of WT Forum members don't like Parramatta and even more so since Moses went there. Great stat I heard the other day. No team who has been beaten by more than 50 points during the regular season has ever won the Grand Final. Their pack is too small and their backs appears to be show ponies. :sign:

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 10:23 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:

Chappelli lost me years ago, yes he was a great captain and was handy in the commentary box for a decade, now he is a like a bout of root canal therapy

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 11:23 am

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Mar, 2018 9:55 am
innsaneink wrote:
Thu 22 Mar, 2018 9:29 am
sheer64 wrote:
Cairnstigers wrote:
Good scrambling defence
Paul Kent brought up a real good point yesterday

The players from the 80's dealt with limited replacements and therefore natural attrition tired forwards out who the made defensive errors due to fatigue

A bloke like Johnathan Thurston has done everything he has in the game against fresh forwards , week in week out and gets targeted every week like Cam Smith

I'm a huge fan of players like Sterling ,Lewis and Kenny , but when you weigh up with what the current halves deal with having to create against 110 kgs monsters who don't blow a candle out its hard to make a case for the 80's players
Having seen both for all of their careers - Sterling was the BEST in his era - but would not hold a candle to Thurston in my opinion.

You are making too much sense Hap - what is going on?