How to change a club in 12 months: Marina Go

Wests Tigers Discussion

Re: How to change a club in 12 months: Marina Go

Post by 2041 » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 4:54 pm

hobbo wrote:
Fri 23 Mar, 2018 4:20 pm
Nothing that we didn't all ready know ...
Does Go know who Laurie Daley is yet ?
Who cares? She's there to oversee the business. Pascoe is there to run the football club.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 4:56 pm

Ken Y wrote:
Fri 23 Mar, 2018 4:50 pm
Best part of that article;

"Look at Josh Reynolds, the moment he put his toe in our club has been on about our club. He’s always talking up our club. We didn’t get that from those players, and that was before they told us they were leaving. But regardless, we did not remove them, they left."

Good on her for calling those three out.
He’s a champion. Watching his speech after being presented his jersey before the Roosters game, it’s hard not to love him. He’s all about his mates and the club. Absolutely selfless.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 5:21 pm

Also this was written by and for NRL.com, they aren't going to put slanderous pieces out there, so it's a fairly safe swing of the bat.

LeichhardtTiger

Post by LeichhardtTiger » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 5:43 pm

Can't wait for Michael Chammas insight into Parramata and the Dogs. Love to see Woods and Moses quotes about wanting stability and a chance to play in the finals!
There are two kinds of people in the world - those that live in Balmain and those that wished they did.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 6:17 pm

Eddie wrote:
Fri 23 Mar, 2018 3:53 pm
She doesn't mind having her say in the press Marina Go.

Some of it might be good to get out here. Some of it might be a bit over the top.

Anyway she tends to have her say.

I would rather continue chugging along quietly however its easy for me to say. She has copped some really bad press. Only natural to want to say what the club has "achieved"
Why can't she have a say like everyone else involved in the game? Or does she have to shut up because she's a woman?

willow

Post by willow » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 6:22 pm

2041 wrote:
Fri 23 Mar, 2018 4:54 pm
hobbo wrote:
Who cares? She's there to oversee the business. Pascoe is there to run the football club.
Agree.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 6:32 pm

It’s a much more enjoyable read than the articles than the articles from 12 months ago.
I might even start watching NRL 360, Hooper and Buzz again. Or is that going too far?
in Ivan we distrust

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 6:35 pm

2041 wrote:
Fri 23 Mar, 2018 4:54 pm
hobbo wrote:
Laurie Who?
in Ivan we distrust

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 6:42 pm

"Rebecca is a sensational woman," Go said.

"Her and Ivan are all in. They are 100 per cent in. The children come to the games. Nathan comes to watch his dad, and his dad goes to watch his son. It’s fantastic. That’s what should happen because ultimately they are father and son first.
The bit about the family involvement was good to hear as well.
in Ivan we distrust

Snake

Post by Snake » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 6:56 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Fri 23 Mar, 2018 6:17 pm
Eddie wrote:
Fri 23 Mar, 2018 3:53 pm
She doesn't mind having her say in the press Marina Go.

Some of it might be good to get out here. Some of it might be a bit over the top.

Anyway she tends to have her say.

I would rather continue chugging along quietly however its easy for me to say. She has copped some really bad press. Only natural to want to say what the club has "achieved"
Why can't she have a say like everyone else involved in the game? Or does she have to shut up because she's a woman?
Probably why Rothfield has the hate! an opinionated women that will not take any crap ...seems to be on the front on most things..good article about a club that has turned the corner it just happens to be OUR club.

Red88 Tiger

Post by Red88 Tiger » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 7:20 pm

supercoach wrote:
Fri 23 Mar, 2018 4:00 pm
Enjoyed the article, probably did not tell us anything we did not know, but gave us some good background info
Definitely gave credit to a lot of opinions on forum

radiowave82

Post by radiowave82 » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 11:22 pm

ku5tom wrote:
Fri 23 Mar, 2018 2:13 pm
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/23/how ... ers-story/
Michael Chammas Chief Reporter
Fri 23 Mar 2018, 01:20 PM

"And to be honest, it’s probably been the best for everyone involved. I think so. One of the ways to get cultural change quickly is to change people. It’s harder to do in rugby league teams than in business, because fans have an emotional attachment to players.

"It’s really difficult to do that. We saw that with Robbie Farah. That was hard for us – and it was no less difficult with these three players. But you can’t wallow in it, they wanted to go so we moved on."
Thing is Robbie wasn't actually wanting to leave.... you can't put them all in the same basket sorry.

weststigersbob

Post by weststigersbob » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 12:45 am

I’m new around here, but seriously - that article has a certain “smugness” to it that I really don’t like.
The facts of the matter are that Cleary achieved very little in 2017, and we are barely into 2018. The potential for this season to nose dive spectacularly is still there. The signs don’t point that way, but let’s not all circle jerk each other until we have tangible proof in August and September that things have turned around.

On a similar vein, It’s not as though Go, the board and the management are veritable babes in woods - they’ve been around for a while now. It wasn’t that long ago that they wholeheartedly supported Jason Taylor despite all signs pointing the other way. It was even less long ago that they couldn’t figure out why senior players were reluctant to re-sign, not long after seeing a true representative caliber player get sent to reserve grade and replaced by a genuine reserve grader all because the “coach” they backed, was still around. Gee, wonder why that was.

The only truly remarkable story about the article and the start of 2018 as far as the WT goes is that a) Ivan Cleary has worked a miracle in getting a rag tag bunch looking like a competitive 1st Grade side for 3 rounds and b) Despite being told repeatedly that Wests Ashfield are a financial behemoth and that they own 75% of the club - we are only looking at breaking even for 2018.....

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 7:46 am

weststigersbob wrote:
Sat 24 Mar, 2018 12:45 am
I’m new around here, but seriously - that article has a certain “smugness” to it that I really don’t like.
The facts of the matter are that Cleary achieved very little in 2017, and we are barely into 2018. The potential for this season to nose dive spectacularly is still there. The signs don’t point that way, but let’s not all circle jerk each other until we have tangible proof in August and September that things have turned around.

On a similar vein, It’s not as though Go, the board and the management are veritable babes in woods - they’ve been around for a while now. It wasn’t that long ago that they wholeheartedly supported Jason Taylor despite all signs pointing the other way. It was even less long ago that they couldn’t figure out why senior players were reluctant to re-sign, not long after seeing a true representative caliber player get sent to reserve grade and replaced by a genuine reserve grader all because the “coach” they backed, was still around. Gee, wonder why that was.

The only truly remarkable story about the article and the start of 2018 as far as the WT goes is that a) Ivan Cleary has worked a miracle in getting a rag tag bunch looking like a competitive 1st Grade side for 3 rounds and b) Despite being told repeatedly that Wests Ashfield are a financial behemoth and that they own 75% of the club - we are only looking at breaking even for 2018.....

Farah in disguise. :roll:

weststigersbob

Post by weststigersbob » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:20 am

Been called worse - I’ve had people reckon I’m Isaac Moses.....

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 8:33 am

weststigersbob wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:20 am
Been called worse - I’ve had people reckon I’m Isaac Moses.....
Being called Isaac Moses is pretty low.
Yep. There was a bit of smugness from Go about the WestsTigers. I'd prefer those thoughts to be kept in house. But you could hardly blame them after what they'd been through the last couple of years. It's clear that there has been a big shift in mentality this year. Anyway an article like this isn't going to do us any harm.
Having our game against the Broncos ruined by the ref will have a lot more to do with how the wider league communities attitude starts to shape up this year.
in Ivan we distrust

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 9:31 am

weststigersbob wrote:
Sat 24 Mar, 2018 12:45 am

Well, I think you've got the wrong slant on the article and Marina Go. I read NO smugness.

It is a good positive article on the Club, the coach, the players, the culture, the resolve, the commitment and the family values.

Nah better to have all the crap that has been written over the past five years.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 9:46 am

Infuriates me the the bit about the previous coach complaining about not having player A or needing to get rid of player B.

Absolute pretender.

Only wish Go would have taken some responsibility for his ridiculous appointment.
Its an opinion!