Post by wmlmaster » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 8:00 am

Wests Tigers ace Esan Marsters outshining rep rivals in Kiwi and contract push
NRL Premiership
Nathan Ryan

April 2, 2018 6:00am
Nathan Ryan
@nath_ryan
Source: FOX SPORTS

HE’S the 21-year-old makeshift centre stealing the spotlight from the game’s most exciting young stars.

He’s also fast becoming a bolter for the New Zealand Test team in the process.

Wests Tigers ace Esan Marsters is still very much in his NRL infancy but attracting plenty of attention.

As one of seven current starting first graders off-contract this year, it should come as no surprise Marsters is turning plenty of heads in club land with his dominant displays.

Although it isn’t the fact he’s off-contract or the desire to push for a New Zealand jersey that’s driving him this year.

“The interest is great, and there is definitely the dream to pull on the Kiwi jersey, although my focus is on winning games with this team,” a humble Marsters told foxsports.com.au.

“If I play to my potential and we are winning games all the rest of that stuff will take care of itself”.

If his start is anything to go by, it’s only a matter of time before rep football and a hefty new contract comes his way.

In a team shocking the competition, Marsters has been a shining light for the joint venture.

When the Wests Tigers saw their draw for the first five rounds of the 2018 premiership, there was little doubt of the magnitude of the task that lay before them.

Not only would they play each of last years’ Top Four but they’d face the premiers, Melbourne, twice.

For Marsters, the task has been just as big.

In four of the games he’d have to oppose the most heralded young centres in the game, and in the other, one of its most decorated and accomplished.

“When you get selected you definitely look to who your opposite number will be, my job is to limit their impact to help the team,” he said.

Hard fought victories against the Storm and Roosters showed their mettle, while it was only a contentious refereeing decision that cost them a likely draw against the Broncos.

Marsters impressive play has been instrumental in all these results outplaying his more heralded opponents.

His first round opponent was no slouch. In fact it was NSW bolter, Latrell Mitchell.

Marsters produced a man of the match performance.

According to Fox Sports Lab, he ran for a team high 190 metres from 19 carries to Mitchell’s 35 metres from six carries.

The form against Origin hopefuls continued when he bested Storm centre Curtis Scott in the second round and backed it up by outpointing Blues gun Jack Bird.

In three games he’s run for an impressive 391 metres with seven tackle busts, a try assist and a line break.

But his job on Monday could be his most difficult with the possibility of lining up against former Origin and Australian star, Michael Jennings, depending on which side of the field he finds himself.

Marsters response to that prospect is simple.

“It’s team first, I’d love the challenge to play against him (Jennings) and I’ll put my best foot forward to help the team win,” Marsters said.

How refreshing is the new Tigers attitude, the old Tigers of yesteryear seems so far long away in our rear view mirror and I pray it stays there. Some one re-sign him already!!!!

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 8:16 am

You would think an extension wouldn't be too far away for Marsters...

Very humble kid..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 8:44 am

Bloody hell I nearly had a heart attack.

When you read the title of this thread it says "Wests Tigers ace Esan Marsters out".

jojo

Post by jojo » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 10:12 am

The kid sounds like the sort of player we want here. Team first mentality.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 10:40 am

I would like to see him resigned, but am not convinced on him as a centre. He is strong, attracts defenders and can offload, but think that he lacks pace and and not surfe that he has made a break this year.

Future lies in the backrow, but not sure when

Tiger_Pete

Post by Tiger_Pete » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 10:48 am

upthetigers wrote:
Mon 02 Apr, 2018 8:44 am
Bloody hell I nearly had a heart attack.

When you read the title of this thread it says "Wests Tigers ace Esan Marsters out".
Same!

willow

Post by willow » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 11:56 am

Geo. wrote:
Mon 02 Apr, 2018 8:16 am
You would think an extension wouldn't be too far away for Marsters...

Very humble kid..
I hope an extension is not too far away, we need to keep him.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 12:07 pm

Harvey wrote:
Mon 02 Apr, 2018 10:40 am
I would like to see him resigned, but am not convinced on him as a centre. He is strong, attracts defenders and can offload, but think that he lacks pace and and not surfe that he has made a break this year.

Given he was asked to shed kgs over the offseason I’d say Ivan’s plan for him is centre-at least for a while

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 12:26 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Mon 02 Apr, 2018 12:07 pm
Harvey wrote:

Given he was asked to shed kgs over the offseason I’d say Ivan’s plan for him is centre-at least for a while
He's doing a good job at centre. Certainly has created attacking opportunities with his offloads. He seems hard to handle out wide and has been very solid in defence.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 12:30 pm

Geez a bit early to be talking Test selection i woulda thought

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 12:41 pm

He has been fairly impressive this year just like last year.You would hope and expect that we are trying hard to put him under contact for another 3 years and quickly to keep the poachers away.
Luckily Ivan is our coach and i feel that will help massively in him staying

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 12:49 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 02 Apr, 2018 12:30 pm
I can't really think of any better centres for the kiwis atm.
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

MCK fan club members: hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 12:56 pm

Tacky wrote:
Mon 02 Apr, 2018 12:49 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Mon 02 Apr, 2018 12:30 pm
I can't really think of any better centres for the kiwis atm.
That qas my point too. Not that he's top in his position, rather the Kiwis are a little thin there.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 1:05 pm

I dont know who plays for who - rep wise anymore - so Im no help

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 1:06 pm

Wasn’t he being talked up as an Origin bolter a couple of weeks ago?

Clearyweareone

Post by Clearyweareone » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 1:28 pm

Really like this kid and WT need to act fast to secure his services for another couple of years with an upgraded contract.

Has been one of our best since getting his chance in the NRL.

Onthebus

Post by Onthebus » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 10:43 pm

He is a good young kid who needs to be kept by the club for a long long time

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 11:09 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Mon 02 Apr, 2018 12:26 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Mon 02 Apr, 2018 12:07 pm
Harvey wrote:

He's doing a good job at centre. Certainly has created attacking opportunities with his offloads. He seems hard to handle out wide and has been very solid in defence.
Before our first game was worried that Latrel would get on the outside of him like late last year but he seems faster and really confident in reading the play.
But he has been super but i agree long term he's a second rower.