Nofoaluma

Wests Tigers Discussion
The_Doc

Re: Nofoaluma

Post by The_Doc » Mon 09 Apr, 2018 3:00 pm

Ive seen a couple of ISP games this year the ones that have been televised, arguably Fonua seems to be in better form than Noffa albeit Fonua seems to have a thumble here and there. I wouldnt mind comparing their stats side by side if anyone knows off hand where to find ISP stats?

edit some of Fonua's recent stats from another thread, obviously doesnt highlight his handling lapses

Mahe Fonua in 2018

Rd 1: 204m, 8 tackle breaks
Rd 2: 1 try, 218m, 7 tackle breaks
Rd 3: 1 try, 183m, 6 tackle breaks
Rd 4: 2 tries, 201m, 7 tackle breaks
Rd 5: 1 try, 204m, 4 tackle breaks#IntrustSuperPremiership#WSM
Last edited by The_Doc on Mon 09 Apr, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 09 Apr, 2018 3:07 pm

Maybe he can switch to left wing in ISP to improve his chances of first grade? Just a thought. 400k+ is a lof of money for a reserve grade winger.

Tui's kicking keeps him in first grade. Thompson is a more c complete winger than Nof. So he waits for now.

Donald Trump

Post by Donald Trump » Mon 09 Apr, 2018 9:35 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 09 Apr, 2018 3:07 pm
Maybe he can switch to left wing in ISP to improve his chances of first grade? Just a thought. 400k+ is a lof of money for a reserve grade winger.

Tui's kicking keeps him in first grade. Thompson is a more c complete winger than Nof. So he waits for now.
And $800k is a lot for our marquee 5/8 to play reserves when he comes back but that’s life
Let's make the Tigers great again!

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 10:00 am

Donald Trump wrote:
Mon 09 Apr, 2018 9:35 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:

And $800k is a lot for our marquee 5/8 to play reserves when he comes back but that’s life
Reynolds definitely won't be play ISP. At worst off the bench, but most likely Benji will go to the bench instead of Godinet. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 2:56 pm

Resilient Nofoaluma not taking any opportunity for granted

Dan Talintyre
Thu 19 Apr 2018, 02:37 PM

Nobody was more surprised than David Nofoaluma when the Wests Tigers team for Round 1 was announced, and the star winger's name wasn't included in the squad.

It was a wake-up call from Coach Ivan Cleary that could have been taken one of two ways.

But for the Campbelltown Collegians junior, it was a masterstroke from the coach — bringing out a renewed focus and attitude that saw him fight his way back in to the squad the following week.

And after earning that spot back, Nofoaluma is determined to ensure the jersey remains his own.

Opening up to reporters at training today, the 24-year-old didn't hide his disappointment in missing out at times this year, but said it was a move that has brought out the best in himself and the squad as a whole.

"I was pretty gutted and it hit me pretty hard that I wasn't there in Round 1," Nofoaluma conceded.

"But that happens to the best of players, and I think it might have come as a bit of a wake-up call for me and a lot of players in the squad too. It just goes to show that no matter who you are, you have to be at your best to be in this team. You have to be the best player in your position or you won't be there.

"I'd played a lot of first-grade before but coming back has made me appreciate more what it means to be in first-grade. Every opportunity I get and every time I train, I don’t take that for granted.

"I know now that it’s hard to get in to such a good team with lots of competition.

"This team is doing great, so for me, I'm the most of my time playing and the chance I have."

Other players have been quick to praise Cleary for his efforts in building the culture around the team in 2018, but few have the insight that Nofoaluma has in how helpful that mentoring can be.

"I think Ivan has got the culture with every single player," he said.

"No matter who you are in the team — if you're competing and being the best player you can be, you'll be in the team. That's what he wants from every player and what the key thing is for me."

The focus for Nofoaluma is clear, then: make every day count in his rugby league career.

"All my efforts at training have just been about resilience and being the best player I can be.

"Just the small things — preparation and on game day, turning up and starting the game off strong.

"It’s just about never feeling comfortable in first-grade and always being at my best."

Link to the full interview below.

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/201 ... r-granted/

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 3:52 pm

Donald Trump wrote:
Balmain Boy wrote:

Valentine Holmes 700k on the wing. I honestly think storm are the only ones who get the right price for a player.

Except Reynolds and McQueen our player salaries are about right.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 5:23 pm

That article pretty much puts the thread to bed, right? Everyone is quick to jump on the “disgruntled” bandwagon because we see it so often, but it’s nice to get the full story and appreciate Nofo’s attitude. We’ve definitely missed some of his carries, so here’s to a long and successful first grade career at the Tigers.

Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Balmainbred » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 5:31 pm

I think nofo & mwz are our best wingers at the moment.

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 5:58 pm

Going on form it is clear to me that the best combo at the moment is Thomson at the back with Noffa and MWZ on the wings - that's it! Until Tui, or Fonua, or anyone else, shows that they are consistently at the top of their game they will remain in ISP, and so they should. I think the backs are picking themselves - it's more of a headache for Ivan in the forwards (when everyone is fit that is).

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 7:37 pm

Congratulations on Nofa not having a dummy spit, just knows now that players have to work hard to play in Ivan's team.
That's the way it should be, no one guaranteed spots.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 7:51 pm

Anyone else think he was pretty conservative in his attempt to avoid errors?
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 9:02 pm

Seantice wrote:
Thu 19 Apr, 2018 3:52 pm
Donald Trump wrote:
Balmain Boy wrote:

Valentine Holmes 700k on the wing. I honestly think storm are the only ones who get the right price for a player.

I think we're probably paying for unders on brooks, benji, rochow and Thompson based on form. All balances out.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 9:07 pm

hammertime wrote:
Thu 19 Apr, 2018 9:02 pm
Seantice wrote:
Thu 19 Apr, 2018 3:52 pm
Donald Trump wrote:
Balmain Boy wrote:

I think we're probably paying for unders on brooks, benji, rochow and Thompson based on form. All balances out.
...and Marsters and Twal and probably Eisenhuth as well...Liddle is looking pretty good for what wouldn't be a big contract too.

Luke

Post by Luke » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 9:11 pm

VanillaThunder wrote:
Thu 19 Apr, 2018 5:23 pm
That article pretty much puts the thread to bed, right? Everyone is quick to jump on the “disgruntled” bandwagon because we see it so often, but it’s nice to get the full story and appreciate Nofo’s attitude. We’ve definitely missed some of his carries, so here’s to a long and successful first grade career at the Tigers.
I'm not saying he is disgruntled right now, but if he was, do you really think he would make that public? Of course he is going to say what he said. The worrying thing is he wasn't even sure exactly why he was dropped and it came as a shock. You would think that Ivan would have had some sort of conversation with him to explain his decision and exactly what he needs to work on.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 4:30 pm

I get what you mean, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Ivan did sit him down and tell him about it. He said it was a shock that he wasn’t picked round 1, but all the noise made throughout pre-season was effort and performance would be rewarded. If he wasn’t seen as one of the top two performing wingers, then that’s about all there is to it. The shock might have been a coach actually following through on their words.
That said, the best part of Nofo’s comments is that you have to be at your best to get picked. He’s acknowledged that he can’t coast, and if he doesn’t get a run then it’s because he’s not showing the same effort or commitment as someone else. Can only breed a good environment