Nofoaluma

Wests Tigers Discussion
Luke

Nofoaluma

Post by Luke » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 12:22 pm

I know there are a lot of positives this season and I’m sorry to be a downer but I’m disappointed the way Nofo has been treated by the club this season.

Nofo has been one of our most consistent players ever since his debut in 2013. He plays with his heart on his sleeve and he loves this club. He resigned with us last year even with everything going on at the club, he showed true loyalty.

There was no obvious reason why he was dropped. Yes, Thompson has been great this season but I believe that Nofo is at least in infront of MWZ!

Stats to prove Nofo is more effective than MWZ in the two games they played in FG this year:

Against Storm:
Nofo – 176 M (most of any player from both sides), 50 post-contact metres (most of any player from both sides), 11 tackle breaks (most of any player from both sides), 5 offloads (equal with Marsters for most of any player from both sides), 4 tackles, 1 missed tackle, 1 error.

MWZ – 89 M, 30 post-contact metres, 3 tackle breaks, 1 offload, 6 tackles, 1 missed tackle, 4 1-1 tackles.

Against Broncos:
Nofo – 150 M (most of any Tigers player, 4th overall), 57 post-contact metres (most of any Tigers player, 3rd overall), 4 tackle breaks, 1 offload, 2 tackles, 2 missed tackles, 3 errors.

MWZ (only played 37 mins) – 52 M, 18 post-contact metres, 1 tackle break, 5 tackles, 2 missed tackles.

Some people will argue it was his defence that has let him down and if that is the case he should have been given a chance to prove himself first before being dropped. When he has played FG this year he hasn’t let us down.

If Nofo has not had the right attitude at training or something has happened that we are not aware of then let the fans know. They don’t have to go into full detail but at least give some kind of explanation as to why he has been dropped.

My biggest worry is if he continues to stay in lower grade there may be a chance he asks for a release (which I'm sure he doesn't want to do!)

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 12:35 pm

i believe he is paying the price for some bad behavior in pre- season. he will be back.

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 12:42 pm

I think you are incorrect Luke. Nofo has not been treated different to anybody else.

His defensive reads are improving but a long way short of NRL standard. You are comparing him with MWZ - nothing to do with it. He plays on the left wing, Nofo plays on the right.

You obviously are a big fan of Nofo - good on you, I like him too but he needs to get it together before he gets promoted again.

He has just signed a four year contract - if he asks for a release I'd be very disappointed in him. I don't think he would that - he is a fighter and I am sure he will work on his defense and fight his way back. If he is not willing to do that then maybe he should ask for a release.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 12:45 pm

I can't see it being bad behavior. Cleary is very focused on defense and we always leaked points down noffa's wing. I'd say he just needs to get his defense sorted.

MWZ may not be as exciting as Noffa, but he certainly is solid and has a great attitude.

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 12:49 pm

Russell wrote:
Tue 03 Apr, 2018 12:42 pm
His defensive reads are improving but a long way short of NRL standard. You are comparing him with MWZ - nothing to do with it. He plays on the left wing, Nofo plays on the right.
Thompson left wing.... Nofo on the right.

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 12:54 pm

upthetigers wrote:
Tue 03 Apr, 2018 12:49 pm
Russell wrote:
MWZ left wing, Thompson right wing, Nofo ISP. Sweet.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 12:57 pm

We don't need to know and we don't need negative rumours.

We have depth thats all we need to know

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 12:59 pm

Russell wrote:
Tue 03 Apr, 2018 12:54 pm
upthetigers wrote:
Tue 03 Apr, 2018 12:49 pm
Russell wrote:
MWZ left wing, Thompson right wing, Nofo ISP. Sweet.
The Dogs forum are already talking about chasing Nofo if he stays in reggies. He is too good for ISP.

Chevy

Post by Chevy » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 1:08 pm

Only an idiot would go to that club....Sorry Sharon.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 1:14 pm

Won't be back anytime soon the way he let that try in yesterday. Pathetic defence.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 1:19 pm

Rubbish ..but anyway..

Looks like we found a new Fitzy..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Tarl

Post by Tarl » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 1:23 pm

Noffo plays on the right wing, MWZ plays on the left. Thompson has his nose in front of Noffo for the right wing spot.

I personally would love Noffo on the left wing but Ivan strikes me as a players-play-their-best-position type of coach not a fit-them-in-anywhere coach.

mattypicks

Post by mattypicks » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 1:38 pm

I wouldn't swap Thompson to the left.
Rochow, Marshall, Marsters and Thompson look to be communicating and working really well for each other on that right side so I wouldn't change anything.

I'm a massive fan of Nofa (as most people on here) but unfortunately he is stuck in reserve grade, the same as McQueen and Sue are.
It's a long year so I can be sure there will be injuries and suspensions where all players in the squad are needed.

Luke

Post by Luke » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 2:40 pm

Russell wrote:
I think you are incorrect Luke. Nofo has not been treated different to anybody else.

You obviously are a big fan of Nofo - good on you, I like him too but he needs to get it together before he gets promoted again.

He has just signed a four year contract - if he asks for a release I'd be very disappointed in him. I don't think he would that - he is a fighter and I am sure he will work on his defense and fight his way back. If he is not willing to do that then maybe he should ask for a release.
All I'm saying is why wasn't he given a chance to prove himself this year before being dropped? If he leaked easy tries or his defence wasn't up to scratch, fine drop him. Thompson hadn't played NRL since 2015 - how did Cleary know he was going to be any better at that stage in round 1? We have just had a massive pre-season with a culture change and new players coming in and competition for spots. Nofo may have worked hard during this time on his defence but had no way to prove it to Cleary.

When he has played FG this year he hasn't let us down.

Why shouldn't he be compared to MWZ? What will happen if at some stage MWZ's defence isn't up to scratch either or he gets injured? Fonua (that would be a disaster) will come in he because he plays on the right and Nofo doesn't? I'm sure Nofo is more than capable on playing on the right side. Thompson has played on the right wing before, you could also shift him there and Nofo to left. You do what you have to do to have your best 17.

Anyway it's working out for us for now because we're winning so I'm happy for that. It's just disappointing to see Nofo not given a decent crack first after his loyalty to the club.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 2:42 pm

Yet... Tries were scored down both our edges in FG...go figure
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 2:47 pm

Tarl wrote:
Tue 03 Apr, 2018 1:23 pm
Noffo plays on the right wing, MWZ plays on the left. Thompson has his nose in front of Noffo for the right wing spot.

I personally would love Noffo on the left wing but Ivan strikes me as a players-play-their-best-position type of coach not a fit-them-in-anywhere coach.
A little unrelated but, did anyone else notice that when MWZ went off against Brisbane, Lawrence moved to centre? I assumed that he'd put Chee-Kam at centre but, no. Anyway, I just found that interesting.
President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

MCK fan club members: hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 2:47 pm

We have a coach who is showing loyalty to a bunch of guys who have exceeded everyones expectations. No one has had a shocker, so if aint broken dont fix it

Luke

Post by Luke » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 2:49 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tue 03 Apr, 2018 2:42 pm
Yet... Tries were scored down both our edges in FG...go figure
Confused by this statement... please explain?