Rick Wayde the magpie saviour and ours now.

•  Recent Topics
Wests Tigers Discussion
Wa Mag/Tig

Rick Wayde the magpie saviour and ours now.

Post by Wa Mag/Tig » Mon 09 Apr, 2018 10:46 pm

Don't know if anyone remembers the full story. I don't but remember enough. I will say this, there would be no Wests Tigers if not for this bloke. Magpies got kicked out twice back in that time but Rick wade fought with grit and balls and never gave up untill he was sure the magpies got reinstated. They did and struggled for years with the same crap. No money and developing great players that just got bought. Tommy tried his hand and I'm sure he got them to the finals one year. Even believe he had Terry lamb taken out at a game at cambo. Wests won that night. I was there. My point is that i think we have found our fight again, not just on the field but within those who look after the place. All hale Rick Wade for those that do remember. Does anyone know what he is doing now?. Should be life member.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 6:26 am

Wa Mag/Tig wrote:
Mon 09 Apr, 2018 10:46 pm
Don't know if anyone remembers the full story. I don't but remember enough. I will say this, there would be no Wests Tigers if not for this bloke. Magpies got kicked out twice back in that time but Rick wade fought with grit and balls and never gave up untill he was sure the magpies got reinstated. They did and struggled for years with the same crap. No money and developing great players that just got bought. Tommy tried his hand and I'm sure he got them to the finals one year. Even believe he had Terry lamb taken out at a game at cambo. Wests won that night. I was there. My point is that i think we have found our fight again, not just on the field but within those who look after the place. All hale Rick Wade for those that do remember. Does anyone know what he is doing now?. Should be life member.
Current Wests Ashfield board member and representative on the Wests Tigers Board..

Likes Pizza..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

shane2801

Post by shane2801 » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 7:46 am

Rick Wayde did well.
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 8:21 am

We all have stories - all in the past.

Let's look to the future - Go you Mighty Tigers.

quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by quintus » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 8:33 am

I don't recall Western Suburbs being kicked out of any competition.... :sign:

Peter B

Post by Peter B » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 8:57 am

quintus wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 8:33 am
It was a close thing a couple of times. Back around the times that Newtown & then Norths got shown the door.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 10:31 am

Peter B wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 8:57 am
quintus wrote:
It was a close thing a couple of times. Back around the times that Newtown & then Norths got shown the door.
Norths? I don't remember that. There's about 2 decades between Newtown getting the boot and Norths problems.

Post by 851 » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 11:03 am

quintus wrote:
Wests were excluded 2 years in a row, Wayde run rock concerts and raffles and many more money making schemes to keep the club alive, whilst Wests never missed a season, they were excluded for 2 seasons in a row only to be reinstated before the season started.
Go hard or go home

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 11:41 am

851 wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 11:03 am
quintus wrote:
Wests were excluded 2 years in a row, Wayde run rock concerts and raffles and many more money making schemes to keep the club alive, whilst Wests never missed a season, they were excluded for 2 seasons in a row only to be reinstated before the season started.
They were definitely excluded as you say. My memory is they had to go to court to get injunctions against the NSWRL. I believe one decision went their way in the Equity Court and the other decision may have been in the Supreme Court. Rick Wayde played an enormous role in keeping Wests alive. Thankfully he's still involved with the club and still has that rich DJ voice from his old 2SM days.

MG1962

Post by MG1962 » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 12:26 pm

Wa Mag/Tig wrote:
Mon 09 Apr, 2018 10:46 pm
They did and struggled for years with the same crap. No money and developing great players that just got bought. Tommy tried his hand and I'm sure he got them to the finals one year.
Thats a pretty selective memory. Warren Ryan had em starting premiership favorites for at least one of his years at the club

fibrodreaming

Post by fibrodreaming » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 2:03 pm

coivtny wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 11:41 am
851 wrote:
quintus wrote:
They were definitely excluded as you say. My memory is they had to go to court to get injunctions against the NSWRL. I believe one decision went their way in the Equity Court and the other decision may have been in the Supreme Court. Rick Wayde played an enormous role in keeping Wests alive. Thankfully he's still involved with the club and still has that rich DJ voice from his old 2SM days.
Seem to recall that Terry Lamb was all set to re-sign with the Magpies when we were excluded. He moved to Canterbury when he thought the Magpies were gone. We were subsequently reinstated, but it was too late to keep Lamb. A great loss to the Magpies.

Post by 851 » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 4:27 pm

fibrodreaming wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 2:03 pm
coivtny wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 11:41 am
851 wrote:
quintus wrote:
Seem to recall that Terry Lamb was all set to re-sign with the Magpies when we were excluded. He moved to Canterbury when he thought the Magpies were gone. We were subsequently reinstated, but it was too late to keep Lamb. A great loss to the Magpies.
That is exactly what happened, Lamb had just won the Dally M player of the year playing at Wests
Go hard or go home

Patts

Post by Patts » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 8:04 pm

So this pic was taken of our board (plus a cpl of others) in NZ on the weekend. Rick is there second from the right. Between Mick Lubiskus (Wests Ashfield Director & Chairman of WSM). The other Wests Ashfield Directors on the Wests Tigers board are Dennis Burgess and Mike Bailey, both on the far left and Tony Andreacchio at the front. Of course the other Wests Ashfield nominee is the Wests Ashfield CEO, standing to the left of Justin Pascoe.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 8:35 pm

Patts wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 8:04 pm

So this pic was taken of our board (plus a cpl of others) in NZ on the weekend. Rick is there second from the right. Between Mick Lubiskus (Wests Ashfield Director & Chairman of WSM). The other Wests Ashfield Directors on the Wests Tigers board are Dennis Burgess and Mike Bailey, both on the far left and Tony Andreacchio at the front. Of course the other Wests Ashfield nominee is the Wests Ashfield CEO, standing to the left of Justin Pascoe.
So that is where the $350k the club got for taking a game to NZ went?

Patts

Post by Patts » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 8:51 pm

Harvey wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 8:35 pm

So that is where the $350k the club got for taking a game to NZ went?
Lol harsh! They seem to be doing a good job presently so let’s go easy. What a difference twelve months makes because if this pic was posted last year Rothfield would have run it on the front page of the Telegraph asking for an enquiry into travel rorts and calling for Marina Go to be locked up for life.
Last edited by Patts on Wed 11 Apr, 2018 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 10:27 pm

For a board that didn't know what they were doing certainly done a good job turning around the club.
From the crap they copped in the media not many have come out in support now since they got it wrong.
Anyway from whatever path one has come to the WT can't imagine many dissatisfied people.....except for perhaps Benny who's no longer needed.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 10:52 am

851 wrote:
quintus wrote:
I'm confused, what does excluded mean if they didn't actually miss playing a season?

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 11:37 am

Spud Murphy wrote:
Wed 11 Apr, 2018 10:52 am
851 wrote:
quintus wrote:
I'm confused, what does excluded mean if they didn't actually miss playing a season?
Firstly with regards Rick Wayde I believe he even mortgaged his house to pay for the club's court cases.

Secondly they were only managed to keep playing because of court cases and injunctions in the off season even made the high court. Most were organised by Rick and he organised the 1983 rock concert at Lidcombe oval which drew 17000 and raised 100000 for court costs.
Also in 86 when again they wanted us kicked out Rick was approached by Peter Moore who was one of the NSWRL 9 man board and he offered to go into bad for Wests providing they play at Campbelltown and Rick set up Lasers disco at Canterbury leagues modelled on the very successful Fame niteclub at Wests Ashfield. He also got Wests Ashfield to buy Campbelltown leagues.
Made a huge contribution.