Rick Wayde the magpie saviour and ours now.

Wests Tigers Discussion
Spud Murphy

Re: Rick Wade the magpie saviour and ours now.

Post by Spud Murphy » Thu 12 Apr, 2018 7:51 pm

Geo. wrote:
Thu 12 Apr, 2018 4:01 am
Spud Murphy wrote:
Wed 11 Apr, 2018 7:30 pm
Magpie Magic wrote:
Wed 11 Apr, 2018 11:37 am
Spud Murphy wrote:
Wed 11 Apr, 2018 10:52 am

I'm confused, what does excluded mean if they didn't actually miss playing a season?
Firstly with regards Rick Wayde I believe he even mortgaged his house to pay for the club's court cases.

Secondly they were only managed to keep playing because of court cases and injunctions in the off season even made the high court. Most were organised by Rick and he organised the 1983 rock concert at Lidcombe oval which drew 17000 and raised 100000 for court costs.
Also in 86 when again they wanted us kicked out Rick was approached by Peter Moore who was one of the NSWRL 9 man board and he offered to go into bad for Wests providing they play at Campbelltown and Rick set up Lasers disco at Canterbury leagues modelled on the very successful Fame niteclub at Wests Ashfield. He also got Wests Ashfield to buy Campbelltown leagues.
Made a huge contribution.
Sorry still don't get it - how were they excluded if they still competed? Did the league not recognise their wins for those years and they didn't earn any points? Sorry, but you'll have to be more explanatory, I'm Irish :lol:
NSWRL were desperate to kick Wests out so Manly led by Arko could buy all our players...

Entry into the comp in those days was by invitation...there were no franchise agreements...Wests were not invited prior to those seasons ..that is where MM is referring to excluded...not that hard to understand.... Rick Wayde led the charge in Court to have the exclusion overturned and won..in the supreme court...NSWRL then took it to the High Court..

It is quite an interesting read

https://iknow.cch.com.au/document/atagU ... tober-1985
And thank you.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 12 Apr, 2018 7:52 pm

My old man would curse and swear every time we drove past WA.
Which was often as we lived very close.
The leagues club didnt support the FC at all...dunno why the politics didnt interest me only the onfield stuff did...but he was always very critical of the Leagues Club

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Thu 12 Apr, 2018 8:51 pm

gallagher wrote:
Thu 12 Apr, 2018 6:05 pm
Magpie Magic wrote:
Thu 12 Apr, 2018 3:33 pm
gallagher wrote:
Thu 12 Apr, 2018 2:38 pm
Magpie Magic wrote:
Thu 12 Apr, 2018 2:30 pm

That was one held a year later not as successful. The original one was at Lidcombe oval. Rose tattoo was definitely there as may have been Hoodoo gorous.
Yeah, I think there was 3, I seem to remember two at the markets. The flyer I have was about 1985.
$100000 was big bucks in 83. You could buy 2 houses at Lidcombe with that. As much as a major sponsor would give. I didn't go to Flemington markets. What type of crowd turned up ?
No idea of the crowd, I was only a young fella then and didnt go to any of them. My older brothers went to them all though. Its funny how a concert could save a club.

Who can fill me in with what happened to Wests Ashfield's backing?
We were called the millionaires in the 50's and they are very rich now. How come the football club wasnt supported?
That's the irony. In the late 70s till we were kicked out Wests got no backing from Ashfield. Was okay when they were winning filling Lidcombe. Old guys at club weren't happy team stopped playing at Pratten park and cut funding. Only when we were kicked out did they back us again and ever since. But if they backed us in 70s might have kept more stars leading to premiership.

Wa Mag/Tig

Post by Wa Mag/Tig » Thu 12 Apr, 2018 9:08 pm

I don't k know what it was that made me think of Rick Wayde. It was after our win against the Storm. I was in heaven. Been a life long supporter of both the Magpies and now the Wests Tigers and it has been tough but i will never give them up. Back in those 2 years when wests weren't invited back for the next season i was just a kid and was absolutely devastated. I wanted my team back. Rick Wayde did it. He should, if he wants, be more of a visual and verbal part of what we are now. It couldn't hurt.

Wa Mag/Tig

Post by Wa Mag/Tig » Thu 12 Apr, 2018 9:14 pm

Pratten park would be lucky to hold 5000 peps. What were they thinking. A 5 min stroll for the next schooner after the game . Sounds selfish and probably was.

Wa Mag/Tig

Post by Wa Mag/Tig » Thu 12 Apr, 2018 9:17 pm

Pratten park would be lucky to hold 5000 peps. What were they thinking. A 5 min stroll for the next schooner after the game . Sounds selfish and probably was.

MG1962

Post by MG1962 » Thu 12 Apr, 2018 9:21 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Thu 12 Apr, 2018 12:52 pm

The Radiators?
They were the headline act, but an obscure band 'Alnighters' played the closing set. Only really famous for having a hit with a remake of the song 'Monetgo Bay'

MG1962

Post by MG1962 » Thu 12 Apr, 2018 9:22 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Thu 12 Apr, 2018 12:52 pm

The Radiators?
They were the headline act, but an obscure band 'Alnighters' played the closing set. Only really famous for having a hit with a remake of the song 'Monetgo Bay'