•  Recent Topics
Wests Tigers Discussion
willow

Roosters discard earns Marsters degree in perseverance

Post by willow » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 3:54 am

Roosters discard earns Marsters degree in perseverance
By James Buckley
6 April 2018 — 3:40pm

Esan Marsters thought his NRL dream was over.

On the same day his mum moved to Sydney from Auckland to help support her son's rugby league ambitions, Marsters had received the news no young player wants to hear.

"I got cut from the Roosters SG ball side train-on squad," Marsters said.

"My mum flew over from New Zealand on the same day I got cut. It was pretty heartbreaking for me.

"It definitely was one of the hardest things I had to tell her. I thought I failed, as an 18-year-old kid living in another country. I had the drive from that point on to tell myself I wasn't going to let anyone tell me that I couldn't play footy, or that I couldn't play first grade."

Marsters left it all behind in Auckland to pursue his rugby league career at just 17 years of age, moving away from his parents and 10 brothers and sisters to join the Roosters.

He had a clear pathway mapped out in his head – play SG Ball, graduate into the under-20s, earn a chance at playing in the NSW Cup and finally prove his wares as an NRL player.

When the Roosters let him go, he could have simply moved back to Auckland and chosen another career path, but that would have betrayed his yearning drive to succeed.

Year 12 came and went and Marsters didn't even have a club, but his commitment never wavered and at the end of the year he was invited to trial with the Wests Tigers.

To say Marsters grabbed the opportunity would be understating just how big a mark he left on Tigers recruiters that day.

"I'm not bragging, but I think I scored like three tries," Marsters said.

"They offered me a contract to play 20s here for two years. I'm not saying it was the best contract, but I was still grateful for what I got.

"I didn't really play for the money that time, I just wanted to have a crack playing 20s. It was a shot that I had, so I just took the opportunity and ran with it."

The 21-year-old is now 17 games into an NRL career that boasts a huge amount of promise.

He's scored five tries at the top level, but it's his ability to dish them off to teammates which has helped Marsters establish himself as a key cog in Ivan Cleary's backline.

Against Parramatta on Monday, Marsters threw the final pass on three occasions, setting up Corey Thompson for his double and also helping Robbie Rochow over the line.

Marsters showed glimpses of his ability in 2017, but he seems to have gone to another level this year after Cleary's first preseason at the club and the injection of Tigers legend Benji Marshall into the side.

"Having someone like that at the club is a massive help to my game," Marsters said.

"Playing outside him is something special because he can do something out of nothing. He just tells me what to do and just helps me out with my game.

"Someone like him, like a legend back at the club, is a massive boost for the team and as a club as well, a lot of fans will come to the games and watch someone like him play."

This weekend Marsters has another huge opportunity. Saturday's clash against the Melbourne Storm as part of an Auckland double header gives him the chance to show his large family just how far he's come since making the ultimate sacrifice and leaving the city four years ago.

"I left my mum and my brothers and sisters, my dad ... I was pretty homesick sometimes. In a way, I got over it," Marsters said.

"I had the desire to play footy. It's something I enjoy, it's something I love doing in my spare time. It's all pretty surreal that I can do that now, just play footy.

"I didn't really think I'd probably play NRL, but I definitely had the drive to try and make an NRL career out of myself."

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 6:18 am

lol@the Rorters..

Marsters is priority No. 1 re-signing...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 6:53 am

Good on the youngster. He's been superb for us this year and last year, happy to see him achieving his dreams.
The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire

Onthebus

Post by Onthebus » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 9:26 am

Don't be surprised if the Rorters try to sign him back

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 9:28 am

Onthebus wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 9:26 am
they cut him. he has a good home here.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Onthebus

Post by Onthebus » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 9:31 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 9:28 am
Onthebus wrote:
they cut him. he has a good home here.
Agree totally, he is playing great with us, but the Rorters will pretend like it never happened

We need to get his signature on the dotted line ASAP

Clearyweareone

Post by Clearyweareone » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 9:35 am

Yes needs to be re-signed asap as they are not many quality centres around.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 10:11 am

I think he's the sort of guy who would repay the faith shown in us, after given the opportunity he's taken it and we've nurtured him to where he is. As long as we offer him a good contract i think he'll stay, even if he could get slightly more elsewhere.

If someone offered him 600k that might be too much to turn down for a kid though. I'd say 350k for 2-3 years would be about right.

He needs to back himself more at NRL level though. He should have scored the try that Rochow did against Parra. He passed when he was over the line. For someone who scored so many tries in NYC its funny to see him look to pass rather than go himself.

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 10:16 am

Balmain Boy wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 10:11 am
I think he's the sort of guy who would repay the faith shown in us, after given the opportunity he's taken it and we've nurtured him to where he is. As long as we offer him a good contract i think he'll stay, even if he could get slightly more elsewhere.

If someone offered him 600k that might be too much to turn down for a kid though. I'd say 350k for 2-3 years would be about right.

He needs to back himself more at NRL level though. He should have scored the try that Rochow did against Parra. He passed when he was over the line. For someone who scored so many tries in NYC its funny to see him look to pass rather than go himself.
Except last week when he should have passed to the winger instead of going himself. Try went begging (not the first time either).

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 10:21 am

You are funny Russell..you could do stsnd up....
Ivan's Laws

Tiger Watto wrote:
Geo nailed it...

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 10:24 am

Geo. wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 10:21 am
Are you saying it didn't happen??

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 10:30 am

Russell wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 10:24 am
Geo. wrote:
Im saying there are no guarantees. ...

Be like me saying where was the fullback when we split the Storm a number of times were butchered tries..
Ivan's Laws

Tiger Watto wrote:
Geo nailed it...

Post by 851 » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 11:10 am

Geo. wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 10:30 am
Russell wrote:
Geo. wrote:
Im saying there are no guarantees. ...

Be like me saying where was the fullback when we split the Storm a number of times were butchered tries..
You can't say that about Tui Geo, especially to him, but I will back you on that.
Go hard or go home

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 7:19 pm

Onthebus wrote:
Hopefully he'll just show them his middle finger if they come knocking :lol: Nice to get one over them for once.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 7:34 pm

Russell wrote:
Geo. wrote:
He was the one that caught the ball from Addo Carr when he battered that ball back in field to Marsters who popped a nice ball to Aloiai who scored just before halftime and had defenders around him....take the good with the bad .

He is a priority signing for sure and it should be done very soon .
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 8:32 pm

So he is a rooster junior?

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 8:43 pm

Harvey wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 8:32 pm
More of an NZ junior that joined the Rooters and was cut then came to us.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 8:48 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 8:43 pm
Harvey wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 8:32 pm
More of an NZ junior that joined the Rooters and was cut then came to us.
C'mon he is one of the great roosters juniors. Like JWH, SKD and others that sailed across the dea on a raft made from recycled (brown) paper.