Should Brooks be NSW 7?

Wests Tigers Discussion
Tigerdon

Re: Should Brooks be NSW 7?

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:41 am

larrycorowa wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:35 am
No, he has had two good games in 5yrs. I would be happy with Maloney. Nsw must be a good chance this year if he picks the right team.
The last two games he has has been the best player on the field. Brooks's game (to me) really started to improving at the back end of last year. I think there was a game or two last year when most people on here gave him a 3 (in the 3,2,1's). Playing next to Lolohea he started to come into his own, but while he had games games ( or parts of games) he didn't dominate or own the game until now. I never thought he was sub par player. It has taken years for him to get to this level but playing with hamstring and lower leg issues did set him back last year.
As for SOO, too early (iMO). Maloney should be given the 7 with a genuine 6 next to him.
If Maloney gets injured in between now and SOO, then Brooks, Pearce, A Reynolds ect will be fighting it out for the 7. It's good for Brooks that his name is being mentioned. Ivan was asked in the press conference and said he name should be in the discussion.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:41 am

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:13 am
Just out of curiosity, everybody says Luke isn't ready for origin and Maloney should be #7 for the Blues. But what does Brooks have to do to deserve an origin call-up?
Simple, keep doing what he's doing now for a little longer than just 4 matches. To talk about a player being ready for Origin after only a handful of decent games is jumping the gun, imo. Perhaps if there was no other half in the comp firing, he could be considered, but Maloney is firing at the moment, as well as Brooks, if not better.

kingbrooks

Post by kingbrooks » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:42 am

No not yet.

Brooks has been very ordinary the last few years, and has backed it up with a good 4 weeks. Not even in the ball game.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:47 am

Spud Murphy wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:41 am
WestsBenTigers wrote:
Just out of curiosity, everybody says Luke isn't ready for origin and Maloney should be #7 for the Blues. But what does Brooks have to do to deserve an origin call-up?
Simple, keep doing what he's doing now for a little longer than just 4 matches. To talk about a player being ready for Origin after only a handful of decent games is jumping the gun, imo. Perhaps if there was no other half in the comp firing, he could be considered, but Maloney is firing at the moment, as well as Brooks, if not better.
Brooks has taken a while to get to this level. Let's let him enjoy dominating NRL level, before adding extra pressure of SOO. If Maloney gets injured, then Brooks will be seriously considered.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:04 am

I can't see this happening.
He's playing great for the tigers though.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:23 am

Cleary put it perfectly, he deserves to be talked about. But I think he needs to show the same level of performance for a full year.

It's great that Cleary backed him. Must be a little funny given his son was the one being talked about only a few weeks ago.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:28 am

I can't see why not if he continues his form. Its not like he's a rookie anymore. Maloney eill be one of the halves but no one else has really put their hand up.

yeti

Post by yeti » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:29 am

WestsBenTigers wrote:
On form, right this minute, he's playing as well as any half in the comp. But he has to prove he can play this way for more than half a dozen games. Let him continue to develop for the res of this season without the incredible pressure that is brought bare on players in the SOO cauldron.
It's a huge step up. We have all seen how Brooksy struggled the last few years after a whirlwind debut. Give him time. There's no rush.
A premature debut at SOO could well set him back again.

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:36 am

gallagher wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:28 am
I can't see why not if he continues his form. Its not like he's a rookie anymore. Maloney eill be one of the halves but no one else has really put their hand up.
Luke Keary, Blake Green, Clint Gutherson will be in contention

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:40 am

hammertime wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:23 am
Cleary put it perfectly, he deserves to be talked about. But I think he needs to show the same level of performance for a full year.

It's great that Cleary backed him. Must be a little funny given his son was the one being talked about only a few weeks ago.
Agree Hammertime - I personally don't believe this subject has been brought up.

A few weeks ago, half the Forum wanted to get ride of him - now he's being talked up for SOO.

The kid is going well, improving in leaps and bounds but SOO - maybe next year after he has proven himself consistently week in week out (that is not having a go at him). He is a confidence player and that is building. Play him in SOO and he goes bad or the team goes bad and that could be the end of him for good. It is a shame people want to rush young guys into higher teams before they are ready - it can kill them.

Also think people have forgotten that Cleary was being touted as he next SOO half - in the meantime we have Maloney who is going well at the moment.

Maybe next year it could be Cleary v Brooks for the spot - who knows???

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:40 am

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:36 am
gallagher wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:28 am
Luke Keary, Blake Green, Clint Gutherson will be in contention
And none of them have played origin before either.

BlackandGoldForever

Post by BlackandGoldForever » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:58 am

Nah they will pick Pearce again and NSW will be dominant for 1 game suck in another and throw away another game that they should have won and Pearce will suck and be blamed for it all

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:02 am

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Outbeat Maloney! Brooks is doing good but Maloney is killing it.

Dosen't matter anyway, it will be Mitchell Pearce again.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:08 am

No. Four good games does not make origin ready. Ask Jared Mullen what it can do to you if selected before your time.
He is just starting to believe in himself why would you risk throwing him to the wolves to be taunted by the whole of NSW fans if he doesnt perform
It is the most scrutinized position on the field to suggest that he is anywhere near ready for that seems a little premature imo.

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:27 am

Like most have said, it would be too rushed - he's only just finding his feet after some bad direction and being stuck with a jerk off of a halves partner for the last few years. He now has some solid foundations around him in our team, and he's finding the form we all thought he had in him. I feel like we haven't even seen his best yet so would be great for him to have all the time necessary to settle into the role he's playing now and continue producing great footy each week. Next year, after a good year at the Tigers under his belt then definitely should be considered, but needs to be eased into it - not just, oh you've had a handful of great games so let's pull you out of that environment into a completely new team on the biggest stage in the game!

Toowoomba Tiger

Post by Toowoomba Tiger » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:39 am

Not yet, but if it was a sure thing that he'd play like he did against Manly then he'd be first picked. That game is just what NSW needs from their halfback.

Not sure he would have the self confidence around some of the big names in Origin. He still seems uncomfortable getting interviewed by ex players and I don't think he'd have a big voice in camp and to direct those players around the field. That will come with consistent form for the Tigers. He needs more time to find that inner confidence and belief in belonging in the NRL, let alone rep teams. He needs a bit more ego for that arena imo (please not a Moses ego though).

He is doing a few more interviews of late though and seems to be getting a bit more comfortable. Comes with his form. 2018 is a massive year for him and 2019 should be his goal for next level honors.
previously known as 'The Tooth'

willow

Post by willow » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:42 am

I do think his name will come into consideration however Maloney has runs on the board ATM.

marzie

Post by marzie » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 12:02 pm

leading the dally M atm I believe with 12 points