Looking for an article

Wests Tigers Discussion
innsaneink

Looking for an article

Post by innsaneink » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:56 pm

360 tonite had a bit on the club and mentioned an article:
"Shunned silence to a healthy roar again"... an interview with Pascoe highliting how bad things were a few years back
.... It's was in yesterdays Tele but can't find it online anywhere.
Maybe someone has a hard copy still lying around and can take a pic or something?

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:08 pm

Funny how much easier these articles are to stomach when we get results

..................................................................................................................................................................................................

JUSTIN Pascoe was only weeks into his role as Wests Tigers chief executive in 2015 when he learnt how out of favour the club was with the wider community.

It was in the midst of the Robbie Farah drama in 2015 when Pascoe caught up with one of the club’s long-term supporters.

Pascoe was expecting just the two of them, only for a third person to be in the room for a conversation which was supposed to be a general chat about the direction of the club. It was anything but.

Such was this long-term fan’s disdain for the Tigers, he refused to look at or speak directly to Pascoe — only whispering to the other person in the room, who would relay the messages to the then fresh-faced chief executive.

The pair are now close friends. Pascoe has an open-door policy, with his Concord office often filled with fans who have been at their breaking point in recent years.

“Most of the people who have come in have left being appreciative that their voice has been heard and they get a better understanding around some of the decisions we have made,” Pascoe said.

It was a rough initiation for Pascoe to a club which was on the brink — on and off the field. He walked into the Farah saga and has had to contend with the sacking of Jason Taylor, the Tim Simona betting affair and the departure of the three highest profile players at the club. He spent more time “putting out fires” than anything else.

So getting a buck out of potential sponsors was not easy. So much so the Tigers offered up the top back of their jersey for just $18,000 per fortnight two years ago.

“It was really hard to go out and get commercial dollars,” Pascoe said.

“The stakeholders had dealings that they weren’t happy with. The first two or three meetings would be a history lesson about how they were treated. It resonated with us.

“One of the first learnings was what people wanted was to be under promised and over delivered. If we made a mistake, we’d be open and transparent.

“We’ve made mistakes along the way but we’ve always learnt. I don’t think we’ve repeated one. It’s built a resilient and strong group of leaders.”

Stability is a word Pascoe uses a lot during our chat. Chair Marina Go has been in her role since 2014. The ownership of the club is settled and so too the football department led by Ivan Cleary and a settled roster which has only a handful of players off-contract at season’s end.

“You can’t come into a business like this and create immediate change,” Pascoe said.

“You have contractual obligations both commercially and player wise. Legacy issues that can’t be changed. We ran into a case of what I would describe as really challenging — bordering on horrific — salary cap problems with back-ended deals. We couldn’t be proactive. Now we have a well orchestrated list management system and depth.

“Stability can’t be underestimated. We’ve got to a position where we’ve created organisational change. It should facilitate sustainable success.

“The relationship Ivan and I have on and off the field is­­ ­friggin’ invaluable.

“Our journey is not done with yet. We are not the ­finished product.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 262f40b6df

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:09 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:56 pm
"Shunned silence to a healthy roar again"... an interview with Pascoe highliting how bad things were a few years back
Maybe someone has a hard copy still lying around and can take a pic or something?
Ink its called " Shunned silence to a healthy roar" I'll see if I can find it online.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 8:43 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:09 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:56 pm
Ink its called " Shunned silence to a healthy roar" I'll see if I can find it online.
Look above Bathurst, look above! :lol:

BubbaKennedy

Post by BubbaKennedy » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 8:51 pm

Also found it interesting watching Buzz Rothfield and Paul Kent forced to say good things about the club, they still wouldn’t give Marina Go any credit .... sighting other board members as the reason.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:04 pm

I've been supportive of management, but this is a silly article. It makes people look backwards, rather than forwards. Nrl360 just spent 10 minutes bashing the Tigers again.

I hope it's the last one... let's look forward Pascoe and go. Please

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:30 pm

hammertime wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:04 pm
I've been supportive of management, but this is a silly article. It makes people look backwards, rather than forwards. Nrl360 just spent 10 minutes bashing the Tigers again.

“Stability can’t be underestimated. We’ve got to a position where we’ve created organisational change. It should facilitate sustainable success.

“The relationship Ivan and I have on and off the field is­­ ­friggin’ invaluable.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:32 pm

BubbaKennedy wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 8:51 pm
Also found it interesting watching Buzz Rothfield and Paul Kent forced to say good things about the club, they still wouldn’t give Marina Go any credit .... sighting other board members as the reason.
Quite incredible isn't it. How they are still attacking her is beyond me. Only conclusion is that it has something to do with her gender. Which other club chairs have they talked about in the last 18 months?

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:37 pm

southerntiger wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:32 pm
BubbaKennedy wrote:
Quite incredible isn't it. How they are still attacking her is beyond me. Only conclusion is that it has something to do with her gender. Which other club chairs have they talked about in the last 18 months?
Rothfield probably had a run at her after a skinful and she probably knocked his spotted liver ass back.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:39 pm

hammertime wrote:

I just watched 360. There was no bashing at all. Both Kent and Sloth were complimentary. The only slightly negative comment was Kent thought Go was perhaps not the instigator if change.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Luke

Post by Luke » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:15 pm

Will give it to Pascoe, he is a people's person. He understands the importance of letting the fan's voices be heard and take a genuine interest of how they feel. I've seen over the years he often responds to fan's twitter questions and emails which is a nice touch from a CEO.

More importantly his knowledge and dealings in the corporate world of football is second to none. Certainly the best CEO we have had in our history. Kudos, Justin!

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:29 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:30 pm
hammertime wrote:

That's a 1/5th of the article mate.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:34 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:39 pm
hammertime wrote:

I just watched 360. There was no bashing at all. Both Kent and Sloth were complimentary. The only slightly negative comment was Kent thought Go was perhaps not the instigator if change.
Kent said he didn't think Go was up to it and laughed that buzz refused to talk about her.

It honestly does sound a little sexist or she had a good go at them at some point. Maybe she turned buzz down for a gig on woman's day? God knows. But for some reason, they act like backyard bullies when mentioning her.

BubbaKennedy

Post by BubbaKennedy » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 7:45 am

hammertime wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:34 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
hammertime wrote:

Kent said he didn't think Go was up to it and laughed that buzz refused to talk about her.

It honestly does sound a little sexist or she had a good go at them at some point. Maybe she turned buzz down for a gig on woman's day? God knows. But for some reason, they act like backyard bullies when mentioning her.
I agree, they bashed the club from pillar to post last couple of years about the moves Management made to clean up its financial and on field position. Their stance was always what do people from the corporate world know about rugby league.

Now that those moves are starting to pay Off they struggle to admit they were wrong.

Credit has to be given to Pascoe and the board for the off field work and to Cleary and the coaching staff for recruitment and on field improvement.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:07 am

hammertime wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:34 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
hammertime wrote:

It's sickening really, they never grow up. Real men don't carry on like this about women.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:29 am

What sort of weirdo fan can't look the new CEO in the eye because they are so upset with the previous history of the club?

I mean there's constructive criticism and then there's just being a weirdo, so good on Pascoe for giving them that time. If he was to open his doors to listen to every lunatic in this forum he'd have no time to do anything else.

Well maybe right now he'd be alright, but if we chalked up a few losses...

The Queen

Post by The Queen » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:28 am

southerntiger wrote:
BubbaKennedy wrote:
How does it have anything to do with gender thats a weak comment they just dont like her she was head of the board since September 2014 a lot of bad things have happen under her watch and dealing with that thing Isaac Moses i think thats where a lot of problems started but she has done a lot of good as well i dont mind if they bash her up if she overseas bad times but what i dont like is that they dont give her credit for the good things thats just wrong But Buzz has hated the Tigers since Tim Sheens was here Tim would not let Buzz into the dressing room after the games and the best thing she has done is rubber stamp Justin Pascoe to be CEO

When the NRL put the board together for the Tigers the biggest mistake made was not enough football smarts on the board to much corporate side of things but now the board has learnt a lot so good times ahead for the football side of things and the corporate side of things

The NRL now just have to move East to Perth they produce very little for the NRL they buy there players and few to many juniors let Souths take over the area call them the Perth Cock or cocks it may refer to: Cock (bird) or something else and all will be good

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:47 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:37 pm
southerntiger wrote:
BubbaKennedy wrote:
Rothfield probably had a run at her after a skinful and she probably knocked his spotted liver ass back.
LOL! Funny because you can actually see that happening..