WOULD IZZY ADD VALUE TO WESTS TIGERS

upthetigers

Re: WOULD IZZY ADD VALUE TO WESTS TIGERS

Post by upthetigers » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:29 am

Stupid to spend $1M on a player who hasn't played the game in years when you could pickup 2 quality and proven NRL players at $500K each.

TigersBusDriver

Post by TigersBusDriver » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:31 am

weststigers wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:25 am
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:13 am
weststigers wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:35 am
underdog wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:06 am
After his statements on Instagram/Twitter, No I don't want him at the club.

Goes against the no DH policy.
We have a number of fiercely religious guys in our team.

It's likely some will hold the same views as Izzy.

You're living under a rock if you think that everyone is love and mung beans when it comes to this topic.

To say Folau is a DH for expressing a view is the same of saying you're a DH for expressing your view isn't it?

Let's keep politics out of sport....
Folau was the one who brought it up himself, he's brought the politics into the sporting sphere himself and is a DH for doing so. He's entitled to his views, but as has been said on here before, he doesn't work for himself alone, he has an employer who has a public image linked to financial outcomes, and he is damaging that brand.

So Izzy is a DH because he puts himself first, cannot help but make public statements condemning certain lifestyles and generally hasn't learned to pull his stupid head in.

Plenty of Christians in our team as you note, who don't force their views or opinions into the public sphere. Also plenty of Christians who don't privately condemn homosexuals - it isn't all or nothing.
I know this is a heated topic and it will be my last post on the matter, but I want to get a few things clear:

1. I'm not trying to have an argument with you
2. My comments are on the principal of free speech rather than pro/anti gay

My point is he is allowed to express the view he has and the ARU can express theirs - publicly or otherwise. No one is condemning the ARU view as no one should condemn Folau's view. It should be OK to differ on opinion.

The ARU is very public on their stance, but since when is it OK to persecute an employee for having a different religious view?

Everyone needs to calm down on this one. There needs to be some balance.

For the record, I am not for or against the ARU or Folau's views. I just believe that we all have our right to an opinion without fear of being persecuted. I also believe the default reaction these days is outrage rather than healthy debate. If your view or argument is strong enough, you will be able to debate bad ideas with ease (perhaps even change the other persons opinion).

Never said all Christians believed that either.
Completely agree with your comment mate. Specifically because the LGBTQ community built their agenda through free speech and tolerance, forcing their opinions to a point where it became a societal norm (I have no problem with this whatsoever) but when someone who has a differing opinion from theirs expresses it, they are at risk of losing their job and headhunted over social media.

It is completely wrong imo

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:34 am

Nope. He'd be poor value for money and a distraction from the positive team ethos.

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:41 am

I think Geo said it best.

If it was 3 years ago then yes.

Now, even if this most recent storm hadn't happened, I think having such a big name would actually create a lot of unwanted media attention at training etc. because he is such a big name.

We're going good right now....

Maybe if we hadn't signed Reynolds on such a big contract...

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:43 am

He wouldn’t be worth the price tag as others have said. He would be a solid player and would adapt to fullback in the NRL well imo but it is also a risk.

oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by oldprop » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:50 am

No for me. Too expensive and too much of a distraction.
Need more props.

Mccarry

Post by Mccarry » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:52 am

cktiger wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:23 am
jirskyr wrote:
weststigers wrote:
underdog wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:06 am
After his statements on Instagram/Twitter, No I don't want him at the club.

Goes against the no DH policy.

You're living under a rock if you think that everyone is love and mung beans when it comes to this topic.

To say Folau is a DH for expressing a view is the same of saying you're a DH for expressing your view isn't it?

Folau was the one who brought it up himself, he's brought the politics into the sporting sphere himself and is a DH for doing so. He's entitled to his views, but as has been said on here before, he doesn't work for himself alone, he has an employer who has a public image linked to financial outcomes, and he is damaging that brand.

So Izzy is a DH because he puts himself first, cannot help but make public statements condemning certain lifestyles and generally hasn't learned to pull his stupid head in.

Plenty of Christians in our team as you note, who don't force their views or opinions into the public sphere. Also plenty of Christians who don't privately condemn homosexuals - it isn't all or nothing.
He was asked a question and gave his honest opinion.
I can't see how that is forcing his opinion on the public .... unlike the sponsors of his code.
It's funny how people spout inclusiveness yet are happy to condemn anyone who doesn't agree with their views.
Cktiger- someone answering a question, posed on their own social media account, with their honest read of what the bible says when the person asks him to do this is clearly forcing the bible down people throat.

So many people have a God shaped hole in their life. You see it come out with highly emotive and irrational responses to anything about him

I’m a massive YES for Folau. He is a stand out in union. Strategically taking him would be another nail on unions coffin.

He has an unbelievable off load, speed and strength. He reads a game like the best and he is by all accounts a champion bloke.

He would own our number 1 and completely fit in with the large and fiercely God loving group of Christians in our beloved team.

Mccarry

Post by Mccarry » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:57 am

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:39 am
cktiger wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:23 am
jirskyr wrote:
weststigers wrote:

He was asked a question and gave his honest opinion.
I can't see how that is forcing his opinion on the public .... unlike the sponsors of his code.
It's funny how people spout inclusiveness yet are happy to condemn anyone who doesn't agree with their views.
He was asked his opinion on instagram and he doesn't have to respond.

Smart folks say "no comment" or just don't engage with every troll who throws up a topical question.

What he in fact said is that homosexuals are going to hell. Not just "my religion teaches that homosexuality is immoral" or some such, they are going to hell.

Now imagine if Izzy had said "All Jews are going to hell, also black people. All babies born out of wedlock are going to hell and all adulterers and divorcees also." That may still in fact be his opinion.

What happens if Paul Gallen comes out tomorrow and says "I've always hated Polynesians, they smell like coconuts and I can't stand being anywhere near them".

All opinions, nothing expressly illegal. But not smart public commentary.

Sponsors are allowed to force opinions. They pay money for that right, they purchase the air time and the jersey space.

You miss the point totally, the rugby administration is not condemning him for his views, they are concerned about the damage he is doing to their brand, as an employee. And Folau doesn't seem to care, they've tried to be quiet about it and have some meetings to discuss how he might make his controversial opinions less public, and he won't do it. You don't want that crap in a football side, it's Jarryd Hayne all over again, player not just bigger than the team, but bigger than the code.

BTW he didn't just say homosexuals were going to hell, he ended up in an interview quoting the whole verse:
the sexually immoral
idolaters
adulterers
thieves
the greedy
drunkards
revilers
swindlers

all going to hell in a handbasket.
I’m trying to figure out if your trolling or not.

The bible has been around for approx 2000 years. It’s the number 1 best selling book of all time.

So your angry at him for quoting a verse from it? What do you think the verse was a secret before Folou quoted it.

Your calling him a DH is such a hypocritical comment. Surely you can see that.

He shares his beliefs. Your belief is he can’t share his and hence your belief is right so he is a DH.

You talk about sponsors pushing their views. I suggest you do a little work on the corporations act.

Directors must act in the best interests of the shareholders. I find it hard to believe that the best interests of share holders are met by a CEO promoting his personal beliefs by giving or withdrawing sponsorship based on another quoting the worlds number 1 selling book.

You advocate (perhaps accidentally) for a vastly different Australia to what we all enjoy today.
1. corporates overriding personal beliefs
2. Individuals can’t talk about what is important to them unless it’s vanilla or homogenised
Last edited by Mccarry on Tue 17 Apr, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 12:05 pm

IMO he was never that fantastic at his peak in RL. Very overrated. Played on the end of a back line at Storm who were operating outside the salary cap, probably ditto at Broncos. Easy to look better than others when you are amongst a squad of cheats. Cannot really recall him being a standout for either QLD or Australia.
No thanks, there is better quality to be brought to our club in the next season or 2. Has-beens on 1 mill a year is a recipe for disaster.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 12:08 pm

Ivan doesn't pay overs.
Even in Union he goes missing for periods of the game.
If he touchs the ball every set, then maybe you could ask the money he is asking.
Izzy will be paid overs by some NRL club that is struggling and maybe have some success every so often with a nice run and the media will be in raptures and have in on an highlights reel. Not really what we need. If he came here we could have another player that thinks they are bigger than the club.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Mccarry

Post by Mccarry » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 12:11 pm

Folau would pay for himself in just adertising interest alone.
We would pick up frustrated union fans

I wonder how many of you have watched him dominate a union field. This guy is a super star. He is more impactful in union than Sonny Bill and Lote combined.

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 12:23 pm

Absolutely. He would be worth every cent.

At 29 he still has at least another 3-4 years of good football left in him (and since he has spent the last 7 years catching a cold in both AFL and Union, his body could probably handle another 5 years of professional sport without blinking).

A Macarthur Junior, a World Class fullback, a household name, a clean-skin whose not getting into nightclub fights and snorting lines during the bye-week ... he would pay his own way.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 12:54 pm

Mung beans twice in two days!
What's here?

Probably a no for me I think

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 1:04 pm

When all is said and done...this is unlikely to ever occur.

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 1:05 pm

Look at the players who are getting paid $1M a season and tell me how many of them add that value to their team? Ben Hunt has been going good but I don't even think he is worth a $1M Widdop is the superstar in that team.

teddy23

Post by teddy23 » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 1:06 pm

Israel Folau is the most talented player in Rugby Union period

Big body, exceptional footwork with a lot of pace

Would easily be top 3 in the best fullbacks in the NRL, I don’t care what anyone says in terms of talent this bloke is highly regarded

We have money why not spend it?

Who is our fullback?

Yes I like Thompson as a player, gives everything and is all heart but doesn’t really have that X-factor in attack but is a talent.....

Put Thompson on wing, with Izzy at fullback

Give him 2 year contract

Between us and Titans imo if we were interested

Clearyweareone

Post by Clearyweareone » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 1:11 pm

Some great debate on this topic.

Is a quality player but at his age and not having played NRL for years his asking price is way overs and would fly against what IC is about.

I like that we are not paying overs for players and we will need some money to upgrade some current players.

Even though we need a full back a "no" to Folua

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 1:27 pm

People defending free speech. My question, is there a limit to free speech? Or can you say absolutely anything when you are in the public spotlight? Somehow i don't think you can.