WOULD IZZY ADD VALUE TO WESTS TIGERS

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: WOULD IZZY ADD VALUE TO WESTS TIGERS

Post by jadtiger » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:56 am

he would not be a "value" signing imo.No thanks he has been away from the game for too long

Kul

Post by Kul » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:11 am

I'd take him, at the right price, certainly not $1mil.

He's entitled to his opinion on things, but he alone chose to make those views public and has to accept what that means. There will be players and fans who would have an issue, but he's suitability as a player should be assessed on his ability on the field...

To be honest, I'm only subservient to the one true God, his Noodly Greatness, the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Only he can touch me with his noodly appendages. Ramen!

Founder - WestsTigersForum.com

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:13 am

weststigers wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:35 am
underdog wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:06 am
After his statements on Instagram/Twitter, No I don't want him at the club.

Goes against the no DH policy.
We have a number of fiercely religious guys in our team.

It's likely some will hold the same views as Izzy.

You're living under a rock if you think that everyone is love and mung beans when it comes to this topic.

To say Folau is a DH for expressing a view is the same of saying you're a DH for expressing your view isn't it?

Let's keep politics out of sport....
Folau was the one who brought it up himself, he's brought the politics into the sporting sphere himself and is a DH for doing so. He's entitled to his views, but as has been said on here before, he doesn't work for himself alone, he has an employer who has a public image linked to financial outcomes, and he is damaging that brand.

So Izzy is a DH because he puts himself first, cannot help but make public statements condemning certain lifestyles and generally hasn't learned to pull his stupid head in.

Plenty of Christians in our team as you note, who don't force their views or opinions into the public sphere. Also plenty of Christians who don't privately condemn homosexuals - it isn't all or nothing.

Snake

Post by Snake » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:17 am

We have Nofo !

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:18 am

No from me - not value for money.

Getting on in years and the body will start to break down soonest.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:23 am

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:13 am
weststigers wrote:
underdog wrote:

You're living under a rock if you think that everyone is love and mung beans when it comes to this topic.

To say Folau is a DH for expressing a view is the same of saying you're a DH for expressing your view isn't it?

Folau was the one who brought it up himself, he's brought the politics into the sporting sphere himself and is a DH for doing so. He's entitled to his views, but as has been said on here before, he doesn't work for himself alone, he has an employer who has a public image linked to financial outcomes, and he is damaging that brand.

So Izzy is a DH because he puts himself first, cannot help but make public statements condemning certain lifestyles and generally hasn't learned to pull his stupid head in.

Plenty of Christians in our team as you note, who don't force their views or opinions into the public sphere. Also plenty of Christians who don't privately condemn homosexuals - it isn't all or nothing.
He was asked a question and gave his honest opinion.
I can't see how that is forcing his opinion on the public .... unlike the sponsors of his code.
It's funny how people spout inclusiveness yet are happy to condemn anyone who doesn't agree with their views.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:39 am

cktiger wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:23 am
jirskyr wrote:
weststigers wrote:
underdog wrote:

I can't see how that is forcing his opinion on the public .... unlike the sponsors of his code.
It's funny how people spout inclusiveness yet are happy to condemn anyone who doesn't agree with their views.
He was asked his opinion on instagram and he doesn't have to respond.

Smart folks say "no comment" or just don't engage with every troll who throws up a topical question.

What he in fact said is that homosexuals are going to hell. Not just "my religion teaches that homosexuality is immoral" or some such, they are going to hell.

Now imagine if Izzy had said "All Jews are going to hell, also black people. All babies born out of wedlock are going to hell and all adulterers and divorcees also." That may still in fact be his opinion.

What happens if Paul Gallen comes out tomorrow and says "I've always hated Polynesians, they smell like coconuts and I can't stand being anywhere near them".

All opinions, nothing expressly illegal. But not smart public commentary.

Sponsors are allowed to force opinions. They pay money for that right, they purchase the air time and the jersey space.

You miss the point totally, the rugby administration is not condemning him for his views, they are concerned about the damage he is doing to their brand, as an employee. And Folau doesn't seem to care, they've tried to be quiet about it and have some meetings to discuss how he might make his controversial opinions less public, and he won't do it. You don't want that crap in a football side, it's Jarryd Hayne all over again, player not just bigger than the team, but bigger than the code.

BTW he didn't just say homosexuals were going to hell, he ended up in an interview quoting the whole verse:
the sexually immoral
idolaters
adulterers
thieves
the greedy
drunkards
revilers
swindlers

all going to hell in a handbasket.

stevied

Post by stevied » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:50 am

Wow, so many pluses and minuses.....And having weighed it all up, maybe the negatives DO outweigh the positives. Maybe yes for a fair price, given his age and time out of the game, together with some type of show of contrition for his carelessly and stubbornly expressed views.
Last edited by stevied on Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:51 am

jirskyr wrote:
weststigers wrote:
underdog wrote:

This is a good summary, he is paid money to play rugby not provide his running social commentary

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:53 am

No thanks.....and if I can choose, I'm going to hell with the homos and drunkards ,it sounds a lot more fun than where Izzy thinks he is going.
Last edited by criwdfluffer on Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:53 am

He is a big no from me. Cost too much and on a downward trajectory. This issue will spell the end of him as a rugby player.

mcguires_penalty

Post by mcguires_penalty » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:54 am

No thanks.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 10:03 am

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:39 am
cktiger wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
weststigers wrote:

He was asked his opinion on instagram and he doesn't have to respond.

Smart folks say "no comment" or just don't engage with every troll who throws up a topical question.

What he in fact said is that homosexuals are going to hell. Not just "my religion teaches that homosexuality is immoral" or some such, they are going to hell.

Now imagine if Izzy had said "All Jews are going to hell, also black people. All babies born out of wedlock are going to hell and all adulterers and divorcees also." That may still in fact be his opinion.

What happens if Paul Gallen comes out tomorrow and says "I've always hated Polynesians, they smell like coconuts and I can't stand being anywhere near them".

All opinions, nothing expressly illegal. But not smart public commentary.

Sponsors are allowed to force opinions. They pay money for that right, they purchase the air time and the jersey space.

You miss the point totally, the rugby administration is not condemning him for his views, they are concerned about the damage he is doing to their brand, as an employee. And Folau doesn't seem to care, they've tried to be quiet about it and have some meetings to discuss how he might make his controversial opinions less public, and he won't do it. You don't want that crap in a football side, it's Jarryd Hayne all over again, player not just bigger than the team, but bigger than the code.

BTW he didn't just say homosexuals were going to hell, he ended up in an interview quoting the whole verse:
the sexually immoral
idolaters
adulterers
thieves
the greedy
drunkards
revilers
swindlers

all going to hell in a handbasket.
The geedy, that's sounds a bit hypocritical for someone who sold their soul to NR ALF Rugby!!!!!

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 10:08 am

cktiger wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
weststigers wrote:
underdog wrote:

Since the Qantas link to Emirates is now more widely known, we've heard little from Qantas.

bbobb

Post by bbobb » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 10:16 am

Interesting... would you take Mansour for a reported 700k or Izzy at a mill?

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 10:23 am

bbobb wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 10:16 am
Interesting... would you take Mansour for a reported 700k or Izzy at a mill?
I'd look at Koro who would be cheaper than both and considerably faster then Mansour. The balance of the squad looks good in terms of contracts. Why upset what is working to acquire a big name.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 10:29 am

3 years ago for sure ...now would rather 20 Kevin Naiqama's for the price
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:25 am

jirskyr wrote:
weststigers wrote:
underdog wrote:

I know this is a heated topic and it will be my last post on the matter, but I want to get a few things clear:

1. I'm not trying to have an argument with you
2. My comments are on the principal of free speech rather than pro/anti gay

My point is he is allowed to express the view he has and the ARU can express theirs - publicly or otherwise. No one is condemning the ARU view as no one should condemn Folau's view. It should be OK to differ on opinion.

The ARU is very public on their stance, but since when is it OK to persecute an employee for having a different religious view?

Everyone needs to calm down on this one. There needs to be some balance.

For the record, I am not for or against the ARU or Folau's views. I just believe that we all have our right to an opinion without fear of being persecuted. I also believe the default reaction these days is outrage rather than healthy debate. If your view or argument is strong enough, you will be able to debate bad ideas with ease (perhaps even change the other persons opinion).

Never said all Christians believed that either.