Opinions and Perspective.....

Wests Tigers Discussion
OzLukeH

Opinions and Perspective.....

Post by OzLukeH » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:28 pm

So another week, another win.....

While enjoying the ride for the now....I am now in a position where I am looking to the future and hopefully finals footy.

Going over the standings the past few years, the wins needed are as such to come in at 8th

2017 - 13
2016 - 11 - goddamn Hayne fg and Moses not being able to hit one!!!
2015 - 12
2014 - 12
2013 - 12

So on average 12 is the magic number needed, we are on 5 and so I'm looking to see where our 7 wins minimum to come in 8th would come from.

straight up on current form I would say we get two wins over newcastle this week and eels round 8, cowboys in round 10, bulldogs round 12, raiders round 15, titans round 16, bye round 17.

Obviously things don't always go as planned, and we will pick up and drop games over the duration, but in my optimistic mind finals place in any capacity by round 17.

Barring a Dragons-style calamity things are looking so freaking amazing right now!!!

Just my opinion of course, and am looking to spark healthy discussion.

Thoughts

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:34 pm

Week at a time...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:36 pm

I'm just taking it one week at a time and enjoying each win as it comes. Finals are a long way away. I'm curious to see how the team plays each week and how we react when our next loss comes. Can't wait to see ET back this week and hope we put in a good performance against the Knights.
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:40 pm

Loving the excitement but as you pointed out with the Dragons anything can happen. Enjoy each week as it comes and ride the wave.

OzLukeH

Post by OzLukeH » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:41 pm

I am enjoying every week as it comes don't get me wrong, but it's a good change to our previous few years

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:47 pm

I remember Terry Lamb in about '03 telling the media that we 'only' had to win a number of games to make the 8. Things went pretty bad from that point.

Fibros

Post by Fibros » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:49 pm

Puts us down for 2 round 13 against the Rorters. And take the 13+
We will smash em 50+ get on.

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:47 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:34 pm
Week at a time...
Same as the boys have been saying in the pressers. It’s good to see

MG1962

Post by MG1962 » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:58 pm

OzLukeH wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:28 pm

So on average 12 is the magic number needed, we are on 5 and so I'm looking to see where our 7 wins minimum to come in 8th would come from.
The magic formula is 50% plus 1

So realistically we need 13.

So right now we are looking for 7 wins from 18 played. Just a pinch over 33%

The situation they are in now is pretty unique. This year we have been off to an excellent start, even in 2005 it was not till about halfway through the season we broke into the top 8. So this year we have the luxury so far of not having to find wins. Right now there are other teams worrying about that.

Where those wins will come from? No idea, as others have said, the best thing to do is just take it week by week. Just like the team is :)

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 10:22 pm

Let's not get ahead of ourselves - we have to beat Newcastle this week.

That is more important than what is happening in 2 or 3 months time at the moment.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 10:52 pm

Signs are positive we have dealt with injuries albeit no long term ones ie: Packer, ET, Lawrence, Liddle, Reynolds, Tui and a really tough draw. We also should have limited impact from Origin and also play some teams with the least depth later in the year.
Defence travels well away from home and if we win this weekend we could could win 2 home games we moved away from home.

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 12:02 pm

Truth is the team and we on a sublime level are past this. We are now looking for going for it from a top 4 position. But not too loud.

Snake

Post by Snake » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 12:14 pm

We are enjoying that winning feeling ....have not even thought of Finals at this stage . It is a long season and there will be downs .

krayola

Post by krayola » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 12:14 pm

TYGA wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 10:52 pm
Signs are positive we have dealt with injuries albeit no long term ones ie: Packer, ET, Lawrence, Liddle, Reynolds, Tui and a really tough draw. We also should have limited impact from Origin and also play some teams with the least depth later in the year.
Defence travels well away from home and if we win this weekend we could could win 2 home games we moved away from home.
You're right, Origin won't affect us much at all. We play the Roosters three days before Origin 1, the whole comp has time off before 2 (by the look of it) and we have a bye going into 3. Brooks is a long shot as is Reynolds and Twal will get his chance in years to come but not now.
One of my sources is Pascoe

underdog

Post by underdog » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 12:38 pm

The best two things that have happened so far is the 4 point gap that has already appeared on the table, and the fact that our depth is already being utilized to great effect.

Obviously we don't want the lads getting complacent, but as long as we keep the momentum going, good things will happen.

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 12:55 pm

:sign: This is the type of season that happens every few years and helps us. Of the clubs who were the gun teams last few years Melbourne are definitely not the same Easts have affected team harmony and depth and balance with their changes the Cowboys are drained and Brisbane have a weak halves pairing and forward deficiency. Cronulla also look weaker without Maloney and Bird so in short don't believe those teams can win it. So that opens it up for everyone else as there is no stand out or experienced team at that level who is a standout.
I said in the off season this would be an open competition and it is and feel pretty much every club is still alive for a finals birth. But our club is hungry balanced with good depth and points on the board and without getting ahead of ourselves this is the type of season you want your club in the 8 and preferably in the 4 and anything can happen. Unlike say 2010 where you had Saints as a gun team as well as ourselves with strong performers In GC and Easts and Penrith this is different.
The sort of year I hope we make top 4 with momentum. ;)

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 8:00 pm

12 or so points per game conceded on average is top four material... Keeping it going is another thing... I'm ecstatic over this and the thing is the defense has room for improvement imo.
A quarter of the season gone and no consecutive L's.... A good start can be an insurance of sorts for any hiccups later on

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 8:12 pm

Not too fussed on ladder position at this point, that tends to work itself out later in the year.

I am just enjoying watching a team defend well, a team with a few apparent uncoachables and purported high priced rejects from other clubs. I remember fat guts Tunks on Talkin' Bulldogs panning Packers signing. He has been standout. The young blokes have gone to a new level also, and adding to this our attack is starting to come together.

It's been a very long time, if ever, that Wests Tigers have routinely competed for 75 to 80 minutes a week.

We end up where we end up. We show the commitment and want to play for each other week on week for the rest of the year it's a year well had. Much better than the crap we've endured in the last few years.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...