Giving Up Home Games

Wests Tigers Discussion
shane2801

Re: Giving Up Home Games

Post by shane2801 » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 7:53 am

Honestly both Leichhardt and Campbelltown haven't been that great to us lately. Until we pick a home ground and only use it I don't have a problem with being nomads.
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

LARDS

Post by LARDS » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:10 am

I'm sure refs are aware that they might be swayed by a home crowd and compensate for it. And I'm sure in the case of Leichhardt lately they overcompensate.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:19 am

I am all for spreading games to regional areas, particularly as it is the heartland of participation.

krayola

Post by krayola » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:23 am

The reason we’re having to take those games away is because we’ve performed badly at home in the previous 5 seasons and people weren’t coming. If we keep winning this year you’d think we’ll have one or two games more at our real grounds next season.

It’s a pity we didn’t hold on for one more tackle. The crowd against Parra next week would have been sizeable. Spose if we can beat them and keep it close w NZ we’ll get a good LO crowd.
One of my sources is Pascoe

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:30 am

I don’t see the issue. We’ve beaten the Storm twice this year, both in foreign environments and beat Manly at home, a side who never loses at Brookie. If you are a good side, it doesn’t matter where you play. And I believe we are a good side. Unfortunately some weeks things are off. Last night was one of those nights.

sjtiger

Post by sjtiger » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:41 am

I've no problem at all with taking the game to regional areas.

What I have an issue with is the fact that the NRL...if they're serious about taking the game to the bush; should be demanding EVERY CLUB take 1 home game regional.

When that happens, then I know they are serious.
ATM, it's not happening.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 9:03 am

formerguest wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:19 am
I am all for spreading games to regional areas, particularly as it is the heartland of participation.
Not anymore - country rugby league is dying and all the goodwill shown by NRL clubs will not save it - the NRL as an organisation has failed miserably in supporting grassroots football.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 9:29 am

I think we tend to do it a bit too often, but in all honesty, I don't think it makes that much of a difference.

We're not really a team that has built up a fortress at home a la Manly (well up until last week anyway lol). We don't have an amazing win record at either of our home grounds and I actually think we often play better away, so I'm not real bothered by it. And if it promotes the game further afield, then I'm all for it.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 9:37 am

We should be taking games against low drawing clubs to the bush. We earn more money and can build greater membership. It’s a myth that supporters live close to home grounds or that we need to play more games their to build support.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 9:40 am

larrycorowa wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 9:37 am
We should be taking games against low drawing clubs to the bush. We earn more money and can build greater membership. It’s a myth that supporters live close to home grounds or that we need to play more games their to build support.
What like the storm and the Knights :D

We probably should have played the storm in Tamworth and the knights in nz

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 9:42 am

diedpretty wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 9:03 am
formerguest wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:19 am
Not anymore - country rugby league is dying and all the goodwill shown by NRL clubs will not save it - the NRL as an organisation has failed miserably in supporting grassroots football.
And only gotten worse since the commission was formed, with greed coming to the forefront at senior levels of the game, with both players and officials equally guilty.

We moved to a CRL area a year or so ago and my son has started playing league this year and the team needed a trainer, so I agreed to fill the role. I was astonished that I had to pay a fee to become a volunteer within the organisation. Meanwhile, the AFL are providing field equipment in former league strongholds and spreading their game.
Last edited by formerguest on Sun 22 Apr, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 9:42 am

I think they are planning in a few years to not play home games at Leichhardt or Campbelltown, so they are starting to play less games there now in an effort to reduce the backlash from the fans.

Hence why the NZ game ans the Tamworth game came at the expense of LO and CSG and not the Olympic Stadium home games.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 9:45 am

gee I wouldn't mind a home game....a close one last night we win at home.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 9:53 am

TigerTiger wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 9:42 am
I think they are planning in a few years to not play home games at Leichhardt or Campbelltown, so they are starting to play less games there now in an effort to reduce the backlash from the fans.

Hence why the NZ game ans the Tamworth game came at the expense of LO and CSG and not the Olympic Stadium home games.
That's incorrect - they (at the moment) get paid for playing at ANZ.

They pay Leichhardt Council rent for LO when they play - think it is the same for CSG.

The Tigers were paid 350,000 to play the game in NZ.

Nothing for Tamworth though.

Stand corrected on above though.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 10:45 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:30 am
I don’t see the issue. We’ve beaten the Storm twice this year, both in foreign environments and beat Manly at home, a side who never loses at Brookie. If you are a good side, it doesn’t matter where you play. And I believe we are a good side. Unfortunately some weeks things are off. Last night was one of those nights.
The hardest thing is playing on a ground for the 1st time , I know it was probably the same for 34 players last night but you take away home field advantage and crowd support

I suppose you can't blame anyone for this , but Lawrence plays if this game is in Sydney as well

How about a compromise , if we plan on continuing this in the future we play our trial game here as well as the NRL game , makes some sense when you think about and helps possibly locks some new fans in the future

Just looking outside the square

If we start losing these games we take away on a regular basis the locked on fans who lose a game off their membership deals will be pissed .........

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 10:47 am

It is all about money and fair enough ...I get a laugh when the home ground advantage is brought up ....Really what home ground advantage the club has 6 home grounds and the worrying aspect is of late players and commentators are commenting about the same .
It is time the hard decisions be made and decide where OUR HOME GROUND and area will finally be .
Our club NEEDS a home instead of being nomads my choice has never changed the New Western Sydney Stadium is my choice in the heartland of our current grounds .
If we want to talk about home ground advantage let’s talk where the club should settle as at the moment this topic is void as there is no home ground advantage at all .
Let the discussion begin as there needs to be one!

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 10:57 am

Russell wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 9:53 am
TigerTiger wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 9:42 am

That's incorrect - they (at the moment) get paid for playing at ANZ.

They pay Leichhardt Council rent for LO when they play - think it is the same for CSG.

The Tigers were paid 350,000 to play the game in NZ.

Nothing for Tamworth though.

Stand corrected on above though.
Regardless of whether they get paid or pay to play to LO/ CSG (which may probably have been another consideration), I still think they are planning ahead to pick a single home stadium which is neither LO or CSG, and that was a component in the decision why they decided to play one less game at LO and CSG this year.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 11:10 am

The good news is the travel is nearly over.

One more match in Rd 9 in NZ and barring a trip to Canberra late in the year, it's mostly metro Sydney games.

Newcastle seemed to have energy for the 80 mins and we seemed tired.

But let's put this into perspective. We are winning at 71% currently.

At this rate we'll be 17 wins and 7 losses. That would put us on 36 points incl. the BYE!

We were bound to have a flat game sooner or later and we had some key guys out.

I think Lawrence and Packer were missed yesterday.