Coach what is happening

Wests Tigers Discussion
Snake

Coach what is happening

Post by Snake » Sun 06 May, 2018 10:48 am

I am hesitant to start questioning the coaches selection policy after a good start to the season even though the team has lost 3 straight.
Last night showed that there are players that should be playing ISP next week and at least one that needs to start as for what ever reason they are not producing....the coaches Godinet man crush has to stop for starters.
Yes Reynolds ,Packer need to be added but there are a couple that need to be moved on to ISP . Some spark is required a couple of the backs and at least two forwards IMO . I would like to see some movement before the next game on Thursday night.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 06 May, 2018 10:51 am

He needs to start making changes. I know he has made them over the first 2 months, but he hasn’t reacted to a loss. Now is the time.
Marshall, Noffa, Rochow all should be facing the axe.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 06 May, 2018 10:59 am

No point in making changes for the sake of changes. You need to have a better replacement.

We have 27 eligible players at the moment under the cap.

Packer, Reynolds, Lolohea and Liddle are injured at the moment so we have 23 available. Players not picked last night:
Aloiai
McIllwrick
MWZ
Felise
McQueen
Gamble

Which of these 6 are better than the bloke that they would be replacing & are demanding selection with their lower grade form?

I have not seen a lot of the ISP this year but would argue:
McIllwrick could not be any worse than Godinet
McQueen would have to be on par with Rochow (otherwise we have another highly paid dud on a long contract)

Dropping Aloiai in favour of Sue was a poor decision by the coach last night. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and it could not have been predicted that we would be missing an edge player for 70minutes, but Sue is good for about 30 mins a game. Beyond that he starts to fall to pieces.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sun 06 May, 2018 11:01 am

Might be time for the coach to actually full his squad.

30 players would be nice.
Its an opinion!

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 06 May, 2018 11:08 am

3 losses on the trot got the last coach punted.... :o

No meandering now Justin...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Post by 851 » Sun 06 May, 2018 11:11 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 10:51 am
He needs to start making changes. I know he has made them over the first 2 months, but he hasn’t reacted to a loss. Now is the time.
Marshall, Noffa, Rochow all should be facing the axe.
Not facing the axe, getting the axe, 3 straight losses someone has to go, those 3 plus Godinet would be a good start. :pray:
Go hard or go home

razor7

Post by razor7 » Sun 06 May, 2018 11:14 am

I agree a couple of signings would be handy. I thought with no ball we tackled quite well. Yes Benji is crabbing sideways but apart from Chee Kam we had little go forward. Losing Lawrence early didn't help. Blake Greens kicking game was way better than Brooks and Benjis, though Brooks played well generally, We also lack a creative forward . There is no one who does anything bar hit it up. Too many of our forwards do exactly the same thing. I still don't get the Nofa defenders on the forum. Yes he ran ok but thats not the issue . Dumb plays and defensive errors persist and outweigh his attack in my view. With all our current injuries Cleary should be looking to improve the squad. As for ISP I stick to what I said at the time. Drinkwater was contracted and should not have been released. The results since his " charitable" departure show this clearly.

Post by 851 » Sun 06 May, 2018 11:14 am

Harvey wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 10:59 am
No point in making changes for the sake of changes. You need to have a better replacement.

Packer, Reynolds, Lolohea and Liddle are injured at the moment so we have 23 available. Players not picked last night:
Aloiai
McIllwrick
MWZ
Felise
McQueen
Gamble

Which of these 6 are better than the bloke that they would be replacing & are demanding selection with their lower grade form?

McQueen would have to be on par with Rochow (otherwise we have another highly paid dud on a long contract)

Dropping Aloiai in favour of Sue was a poor decision by the coach last night. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and it could not have been predicted that we would be missing an edge player for 70minutes, but Sue is good for about 30 mins a game. Beyond that he starts to fall to pieces.
100% disagree, that was the JT policy, just keep picking the same blokes who make the same mistakes every week, really really dumb, and it just enables these poor players to keep plodding because their is no accountability.
Maybe a stint in reggies, and the reality they got dropped for a reggies player might make them learn, except for Benji he will never learn.
Go hard or go home

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 06 May, 2018 11:33 am

851 wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 11:14 am
Harvey wrote:

Aloiai
McIllwrick
MWZ
Felise
McQueen
Gamble

100% disagree, that was the JT policy, just keep picking the same blokes who make the same mistakes every week, really really dumb, and it just enables these poor players to keep plodding because their is no accountability.
Maybe a stint in reggies, and the reality they got dropped for a reggies player might make them learn, except for Benji he will never learn.
So drop a player who is not going well to teach them a lesson, and bring in someone worse or play blokes out of position? I don't think that works well.

Unfortunately with the way the salary cap works, I think that coaches are forced to pick players that they would prefer to replace. It gets worse when there are injuries, or you have not actually filled your roster (Manly are a prime example).

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 06 May, 2018 11:34 am

We are losing the ruck. Fix that and we are a chance. Marshall needs to be told to play as a foil. Under pressure he reverts to running sideways and taking easy options.

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Sun 06 May, 2018 11:48 am

Our ISP were horrendous last season and we found Eisenhuth and Marsters .....
We’re going better than last year so maybe a gamble and a Garner this year maybe the go. Also think Heleta not too bad either along with Felise.
Could add Twal to the list from last years ISP
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

weststigerman

Post by weststigerman » Sun 06 May, 2018 12:00 pm

To be fair, Aloiai was axed last week. Dropping groups of players at a time isn’t going help us win games.

cochise

Post by cochise » Sun 06 May, 2018 12:02 pm

851 wrote:
Harvey wrote:

Aloiai
McIllwrick
MWZ
Felise
McQueen
Gamble

That would be a dumb move, we are still sitting in the top 8. We do not have better players playing in the lower grades, make changes to teach a lesson is throwing the season away.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 06 May, 2018 12:04 pm

Gee whiz were 5-4 with an ordinary squad and people want to change half the team.

Remember we were outright favourites for the spoon coming into the season.

If your thought this squad was not going to have bad periods you have been leaving in dream land.

Cleary has reacted and made plenty of changes this year. However I suppose until he makes 6-7 people will not be happy (not that we will be any better)

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 06 May, 2018 12:14 pm

Harvey wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 11:33 am
851 wrote:
Harvey wrote:

Aloiai
McIllwrick
MWZ
Felise
McQueen
Gamble

So drop a player who is not going well to teach them a lesson, and bring in someone worse or play blokes out of position? I don't think that works well.

Unfortunately with the way the salary cap works, I think that coaches are forced to pick players that they would prefer to replace. It gets worse when there are injuries, or you have not actually filled your roster (Manly are a prime example).
Stuart did it with Papalli
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Post by 851 » Sun 06 May, 2018 12:44 pm

king sirro wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 12:14 pm
Harvey wrote:
851 wrote:
Harvey wrote:

Aloiai
McIllwrick
MWZ
Felise
McQueen
Gamble

Go hard or go home

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 06 May, 2018 1:11 pm

851 wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 12:44 pm
king sirro wrote:
Harvey wrote:
851 wrote:

So the coach does nothing well that is great thinking... you have a group of players that have underperformed for 3 weeks but that is Ok.. why would not McQueen get a run is fit and a seasoned 1st grader not better than what is there how’s that ? With out given a shot . Nofo plays the same as Fonua except Fonua has 1 try assist and 1 try in two weeks so Nofo goes bring in DWS. Sue please gone .. Rochow gone...Naiqama gone .. Godinet gone ... Benji suck it up until Reynolds returns . There replacements are already in the mix ,hopefully the mediocrity curse does not get ahold as doing nothing will bring it.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 06 May, 2018 1:15 pm

Snake wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 1:11 pm
851 wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 12:44 pm
king sirro wrote:
Harvey wrote:

So the coach does nothing well that is great thinking... you have a group of players that have underperformed for 3 weeks but that is Ok.. why would not McQueen get a run is fit and a seasoned 1st grader not better than what is there how’s that ? With out given a shot . Nofo plays the same as Fonua except Fonua has 1 try assist and 1 try in two weeks so Nofo goes bring in DWS. Sue please gone .. Rochow gone...Naiqama gone .. Godinet gone ... Benji suck it up until Reynolds returns . There replacements are already in the mix ,hopefully the mediocrity curse does not get ahold as doing nothing will bring it.

ISP St George Illawarra Dragons 42 WESTS 6...still time to hit 50...

This is 3rd v 9th BTW...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..