Coach what is happening

Wests Tigers Discussion
willow

Re: Coach what is happening

Post by willow » Sun 06 May, 2018 2:04 pm

Glad I'm not watching it then. The likes of Gamble, McQueen and Felise must be on fire huh?

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 06 May, 2018 2:10 pm

Surely everyone could see we really didn't have the personnel at the beginning of the year though. Cleary is putting a few pieces in place, but I didn't think we could sustain would we had been doing at the beginning of the year. It's going to take a bit longer to get things right after years mediocrity.

In saying that, had we not been crueled by injuries to key players or some dodgy ref calls in at least 2 games (Broncos and the 2nd Eels game), we probably wouldn't have felt as bad after last nights game.

Let's face it, the proposed starting side for this season has not taken the field at all this year and the way it's going, it may take some time before that could happen. The guys who have taken the field have done pretty well overall.

On paper, there are some better squads playing doing far worse than us.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 06 May, 2018 2:11 pm

Yeah lets bring in 6 reserves graders....

They are going great guns..

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 06 May, 2018 2:11 pm

Tigerdave wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 2:10 pm
Surely everyone could see we really didn't have the personnel at the beginning of the year though. Cleary is putting a few pieces in place, but I didn't think we could sustain would we had been doing at the beginning of the year. It's going to take a bit longer to get things right after years mediocrity.

In saying that, had we not been crueled by injuries to key players or some dodgy ref calls in at least 2 games (Broncos and the 2nd Eels game), we probably wouldn't have felt as bad after last nights game.

Let's face it, the proposed starting side for this season has not taken the field at all this year and the way it's going, it may take some time before that could happen. The guys who have taken the field have done pretty well overall.

On paper, there are some better squads playing doing far worse than us.
Exactly.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 06 May, 2018 2:13 pm

willow wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 2:04 pm
Glad I'm not watching it then. The likes of Gamble, McQueen and Felise must be on fire huh?

McQueen was rested...concerns over Lawrence backing up...

The rest nah not so much...don't think we will see many unforced changes..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Sun 06 May, 2018 2:17 pm

Eddie wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 2:11 pm

Accountability is what our coach has said will happen. Won’t be and shouldn’t be 6 but maybe 1 or 2 and Packer Liddle back from injury. There are some glaring issues with a couple of players, all I ask is for Ivan to act on these issues. If not we may aswell have Taylor back as coach.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Fibros

Post by Fibros » Sun 06 May, 2018 2:37 pm

willow wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 2:04 pm
Yep. And beaten by 20 last week. Not sure anyone in the Magpies is putting their hand up for NRL selection.
We will smash em 50+ get on.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Sun 06 May, 2018 3:04 pm

The only change I would make is Sue out. He really is plodder material. One good hit up every three weeks is not good figures.

I'd tell everyone to take a deep breath and get the playmakers, both Brooks & Marshall to cool their jets and stop the fancy s***.

Hard work and persistence got us started. Its a simple game. Run hard and tackle hard.

With those coming back from injury, we should be going decent again.

Ivan Cleary hasnt forgotten to be a top class coach in the last month!!
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 06 May, 2018 3:06 pm

Our roster was always going to struggle when the grind kicked in. I keep saying we seriously lack speed,skill and punch. I doubt there will be a lot more wins this year, but on a positive note, games like last night in the past we would have lost by 40. If Cleary can get three or four quality signings for 2019 we will have a very good side but at present they are plodders playing with some ticker

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 06 May, 2018 3:19 pm

So another re-building ..re-engineering.. watershed ..build a foundation ..always next year year...sweeeeet...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 06 May, 2018 3:49 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 3:19 pm
So another re-building ..re-engineering.. watershed ..build a foundation ..always next year year...sweeeeet...
Sadly yes

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sun 06 May, 2018 5:28 pm

Very hard to drop players who in the first six rounds played out of their skins to get us in a position that no one saw coming -:after one poor performance. It is the only game that we have played where we were beaten convincingly - and with 43% possession and 12 men for twenty minutes it could have been worse. Add to that- injuries have made forced changes to the squad almost every week as it is
Its a long season Cleary has to try and get the best from this squad and weilding the axe after a game when the whole team was ordinary is not the answer. They need to be given enough opportunity to get back to what they were doing in the first rounds and if they dont - no doubt he will make changes.
Our squad has lots of weaknesses and they have been exposed in the last few weeks. The miracle player to turn things around does not exist in the reserves and Im pretty sure if he did Cleary would have already picked him.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 06 May, 2018 5:50 pm

Telltails wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 5:28 pm
Very hard to drop players who in the first six rounds played out of their skins to get us in a position that no one saw coming -:after one poor performance. It is the only game that we have played where we were beaten convincingly - and with 43% possession and 12 men for twenty minutes it could have been worse. Add to that- injuries have made forced changes to the squad almost every week as it is
Its a long season Cleary has to try and get the best from this squad and weilding the axe after a game when the whole team was ordinary is not the answer. They need to be given enough opportunity to get back to what they were doing in the first rounds and if they dont - no doubt he will make changes.
Our squad has lots of weaknesses and they have been exposed in the last few weeks. The miracle player to turn things around does not exist in the reserves and Im pretty sure if he did Cleary would have already picked him.
Good post Telltails... There will be changes with injured players returning

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Sun 06 May, 2018 5:53 pm

supercoach wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 3:49 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sadly yes
Relax.
Remember being in the Ashfield Hotel around semi time in 05 and a couple of ole Wests and WT die hards said to me this is a good platform for next year. Remember saying we should take it now luckily we did.

cochise

Post by cochise » Sun 06 May, 2018 6:13 pm

maxxy86 wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 2:17 pm
Eddie wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 2:11 pm

Accountability is what our coach has said will happen. Won’t be and shouldn’t be 6 but maybe 1 or 2 and Packer Liddle back from injury. There are some glaring issues with a couple of players, all I ask is for Ivan to act on these issues. If not we may aswell have Taylor back as coach.
Accountability doesn't have to mean dropping players, especially when no other better options are available

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 06 May, 2018 6:18 pm

Magpie Magic wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 5:53 pm
supercoach wrote:
Geo. wrote:
Sadly yes
Relax.
Remember being in the Ashfield Hotel around semi time in 05 and a couple of ole Wests and WT die hards said to me this is a good platform for next year. Remember saying we should take it now luckily we did.

Sorry mate...this outfit is not even close to the 2005 outfit and they will not get close to the eight. In 2005 we had a great spine,Hogo,Benji,Prince and Farah, this year we have Thomo,Benji Brooks and a different no 9 most weeks. They are a team of honest workers, or as others would say Plodders. They are well coached,show plenty of ticker and have a dig, but they have no pace,little skill and lack a power game.

Iam not bashing them as they have exceeded my expectations already as I thought they were morals for the spoon, but come September they will be closer to the bottom than the eight..

It’s not all doom and gloom, but they will need to recruit some class for a change rather than heading to the mark down shelve. The Robbie Rochow type signing has to be a thing of the past.

Anyway enough of my rant but I think for 2018 they will compete hard for the rest of the season,but win very few

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Sun 06 May, 2018 6:40 pm

supercoach wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 6:18 pm
Magpie Magic wrote:
Sun 06 May, 2018 5:53 pm
supercoach wrote:
Geo. wrote:
Sadly yes
Relax.

Sorry mate...this outfit is not even close to the 2005 outfit and they will not get close to the eight. In 2005 we had a great spine,Hogo,Benji,Prince and Farah, this year we have Thomo,Benji Brooks and a different no 9 most weeks. They are a team of honest workers, or as others would say Plodders. They are well coached,show plenty of ticker and have a dig, but they have no pace,little skill and lack a power game.

Iam not bashing them as they have exceeded my expectations already as I thought they were morals for the spoon, but come September they will be closer to the bottom than the eight..

It’s not all doom and gloom, but they will need to recruit some class for a change rather than heading to the mark down shelve. The Robbie Rochow type signing has to be a thing of the past.

Anyway enough of my rant but I think for 2018 they will compete hard for the rest of the season,but win very few
Agree this is no 05 outfit. But think we make 8. By the way back in may 05 nobody thought much of our spine. It was only in July yhat year when we smashed Cronulla at endeavour that I put 1k at 20 to 1. Could've sworn on GF day benji had ice skates on when he set up Pat. Anyway back to the present reckin the addition of Packer Lolohea and Reynolds and Liddell will make a difference. Atm I would play MCK in the back row in place of Rochow and Lolohea when availableat FB with Thompson and Fanau on the wing .

hsvjones

Post by hsvjones » Sun 06 May, 2018 7:14 pm

Its time to go back to basics as i think we have brought into the media and think we are better than we actually are...
We really need a hooker that can make metres from dummy half and draw penalties.. Liddle is the best at this for us.
I also agree on signing some players to get to 29/30... Surely we have the money to pick up an aggressive player somewhere.