Clearys selections

Wests Tigers Discussion
hodgo

Clearys selections

Post by hodgo » Wed 09 May, 2018 11:32 pm

Hey team

I have been listening and trying to analyse clearys selctions and ideology since the start of the year and id like peoples opinions on my thoughts.

Firstly cleary has stated numerous times that he will use his full squad throughout the year. I am noticing that there is quite alot of shuffling from our 'fringe' squad. This added to the development of a new culture has me thinking that quite alot of players are getting rests to see how others perform.
Players like mwz, godinet , killa, aloai, sue,nofo etc dont seem to be totally picked on form more like a rotation policy to see how everyone performs. My train of thought is based on players not playing reggies and staying with the squad like mwz the last few weeks, godinet not being injured and but not playing reserves etc.
IMO i think cleary is weeding people out And finding his actual strongest side based on 1st grade performance.

What are peoples thoughts or am i stretching?

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 10 May, 2018 5:45 am

I think there's also a bit of insurance at play, but all those you've mentioned really haven't been killing it either.
Using his 'depth' to its fullest

Elderslie Tiger

Post by Elderslie Tiger » Thu 10 May, 2018 6:33 am

TRUST IN IVAN

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Thu 10 May, 2018 6:48 am

IMO Ivan sees this year is another building year. He is building a side that will be a genuine top 4 team.

A lot of players from this squad wont be here long term.

Injuries have also forced his hand in his selection choices. But in all fairness he hasn't been radical and or sheens like in his selection.

Snake

Post by Snake » Thu 10 May, 2018 6:59 am

Ivan Cleary is the best coach this club has had with the exception of Sheens in his early years... there are players here that will not be next season . I sympathise that injuries to key personnel have hamstrung him ,the biggest one for me has been Reynolds his injury alone has caused a major upheaval . As the season has progressed it is plain to see what positions have to be upgraded .

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 10 May, 2018 7:33 am

No idea how Rochow keeps his place, but glad Godinet is gone.

hodgo

Post by hodgo » Thu 10 May, 2018 7:33 am

Snake wrote:
Thu 10 May, 2018 6:59 am
Ivan Cleary is the best coach this club has had with the exception of Sheens in his early years... there are players here that will not be next season . I sympathise that injuries to key personnel have hamstrung him ,the biggest one for me has been Reynolds his injury alone has caused a major upheaval . As the season has progressed it is plain to see what positions have to be upgraded .
Dont disagree nate im a huge cleary fan just trying to understand the process.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 10 May, 2018 7:55 am

Good to see he has followed through on his pre season edict , the blokes who perform on the training paddock got rewarded

And it sets a standard for future squads under Cleary , don't work hard and play your role in the side and you'll become good mates with Hodgo

The other comment from Cleary that stood out for me was when he told the players to back themselves if they see something that is on

Reminded me of a conversation I saw between Wally Lewis and Wayne Bennett , Bennett told Lewis to play what he sees but if it doesn't come off he will kick his butt

Lewis commented it was a fine line it many of those style of plays .......

Personally I would be interested to sit it on a post match conversation between Marshall and Cleary , seeing what Cleary says to Benji

Now that would make excellent viewing in a weekly series (hint hint Mr Pascoe )

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Thu 10 May, 2018 8:52 am

All I know is the less players you have to use throughout the season, the better a team goes, so I'm not really a fan of Ivan's constant shuffling. We've had enough forced changes through injury as it is. Too much chopping and changing of the top 17 breaks down cohesion of the team, as we have witnessed over the past few weeks.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 10 May, 2018 9:17 am

It seems to be a year focused on years to come. Rotation is good. Who knows, towards the end of this season, our players may be fresher than others and pushing for a finals spot - and I don't mean a play off for 8th.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Thu 10 May, 2018 9:19 am

i think he's basing his selections on how they train instead of how they play

every coach has his biases/ his favourites depending on who they trust and that's usually based on how they're at training, their leadership qualities and how much their team mates trust them

godinet has most likely been dropped due to bad on-field performances. and Sue/Grant have probably been better than aloiai too

im not too fussed about his selections as long as players know why they have/have not been selected and there is continuous pressure from the "Depth"
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 10 May, 2018 9:21 am

tig_prmz wrote:
Thu 10 May, 2018 9:19 am

every coach has his biases/ his favourites depending on who they trust and that's usually based on how they're at training, their leadership qualities and how much their team mates trust them

godinet has most likely been dropped due to bad on-field performances. and Sue/Grant have probably been better than aloiai too

im not too fussed about his selections as long as players know why they have/have not been selected and there is continuous pressure from the "Depth"
I think part of Godinet's relegation is because we are short of a half in ISP (Drinkwater gone and the other young bloke out for the season).

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 10 May, 2018 9:56 am

I expect Tui to be back in the side in the next couple of weeks.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 10 May, 2018 9:58 am

Russell wrote:
Thu 10 May, 2018 9:21 am
tig_prmz wrote:

I think part of Godinet's relegation is because we are short of a half in ISP (Drinkwater gone and the other young bloke out for the season).
You don't move a player from 1st grade to reserve grade because reserve grade need him. He has been dropped as Ivan believes Liddle and Taylor can do the job. Simple.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Thu 10 May, 2018 10:04 am

Russell wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:

Cleary said the other day that it will probably be Elijah covering hooker til Liddle can play 80.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/09/wes ... or-liddle/
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 10 May, 2018 10:33 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 10 May, 2018 9:58 am
Russell wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:

You don't move a player from 1st grade to reserve grade because reserve grade need him. He has been dropped as Ivan believes Liddle and Taylor can do the job. Simple.
2 birds with one stone.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 10 May, 2018 11:26 am

My impression is that he has certain KPIs for each player, certain roles, and if they fail to meet those then they may be dropped.

Some players were only there as cover, e.g. Benji for Grub and Godinet/Killer for Liddle. Cleary has played ET at hooker before, and I think he felt ET's stint there last week was decent, and certainly I feel his distribution was quite alright, so in having ET play 20 mins hooker you get to shift him to the backrow and not use an interchange on a second dedicated hooker.

But for other guys like MWZ, Aloiai, Tui - I don't think they've been particularly bad, and obviously they were selected in the early rounds based on pre-season performance and strategies.

But all 3 have now been dropped, so they must have been failing to meet some goal set by Cleary. People will say Tui is not fit enough but he must have been fit enough to be chosen Rd 1, so something has slipped since then. Similarly Nofo didn't get the call up until he met certain requirements, and now MWZ has been dropped for more attacking firepower in Fonua, even though MWZ has a fairly low-error game.

And the one that drives this home for me is Aloiai, who has been one of the more obviously aggressive and impactful players for us this year. However he's been dropped for Jesse Sue, and frankly I find Sue fades in and out of games just as much as anyone we have, with a good few missed or lazy tackle efforts every week. But despite feeling Aloiai is the superior footballer in form and ability, he's not there and Sue is, so there must have been some KPI missed.

Longer response than I'd anticipated, this was a good topic.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 10 May, 2018 11:33 am

Josh stayed in NZ with family issues...

I think Cleary's Squad approach will pay dividends further into the season...Most changes have been forced through short to medium term Injuries to players ...

Like for like replacements also seems to be his go so no complaints there...

We need the Key guys in Packer, Rowdy, Liddle and Taylor to stay fit...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..