Clearys selections

Wests Tigers Discussion
Tiger Steve

Re: Clearys selections

Post by Tiger Steve » Sat 12 May, 2018 3:55 pm

Magpie Magic wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 3:46 pm
Don't think Tui will lift for ISP. Sort of guy like Fanoa who rises with the standard.
Thompson can move t the wing if he returns. Tui is the sort of player who can support forwards through middle and this is something we need.
Thinking he still is a better kicker than Marsters atm.
Agreed. I think once Tui’s knee is fine he’ll be back in first grade with Thompson pushed to wing and Nofa back to reggies.
Tui
Thompson
Marsters
Fonua
MWZ
Reynolds/Marshall
Brooks
I like it!!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Sat 12 May, 2018 8:11 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 3:55 pm
Magpie Magic wrote:
Don't think Tui will lift for ISP. Sort of guy like Fanoa who rises with the standard.
Thompson can move t the wing if he returns. Tui is the sort of player who can support forwards through middle and this is something we need.
Agreed. I think once Tui’s knee is fine he’ll be back in first grade with Thompson pushed to wing and Nofa back to reggies.
Tui
Thompson
Marsters
Fonua
MWZ
Reynolds/Marshall
Brooks
I like it!!
Me too!
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Sat 12 May, 2018 10:16 pm

I can't see Tui covering the ground Thompson does. The second try on Thursday was laid on because of Thompson following the ruck. Otherwise fonuo goes to ground with ball in hand.

Tui has shown great skills when fit but Thompson has been consistent. On Thursday he was everywhere and his talk in defence and he saved a try as well, one on one tackle.

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Sat 12 May, 2018 10:22 pm

Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 10:16 pm
I can't see Tui covering the ground Thompson does. The second try on Thursday was laid on because of Thompson following the ruck. Otherwise fonuo goes to ground with ball in hand.

Tui has shown great skills when fit but Thompson has been consistent. On Thursday he was everywhere and his talk in defence and he saved a try as well, one on one tackle.
X2

Hopefully a fit Reynolds will add more to this team and then we'll be sweet.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sat 12 May, 2018 10:27 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 3:55 pm
Magpie Magic wrote:
Tui
Thompson
Marsters
Fonua
MWZ
Reynolds/Marshall
Brooks
I like it!!
I like it a lot!

TheHawk

Post by TheHawk » Sun 13 May, 2018 8:25 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 11:42 am
Spud Murphy wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 11:26 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 10 May, 2018 9:56 am
I expect Tui to be back in the side in the next couple of weeks.
Where would he play? Fullback is taken as far as I'm concerned and I reckon he'd be too slow for the wing. Five eighth with Benji coming off the bench maybe?
I think Thompson has shown he is better on the wing. Unfortunately for Noffa he would be the one to miss out.
In what capacity has Thompson shown he's better on the wing? That is just folly.

TheHawk

Post by TheHawk » Sun 13 May, 2018 8:28 am

Russell wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 3:16 pm
If you read what I said....

"Eventually"

After a few weeks off and coming back as a FB - you are going to go missing a bit in the last quarter. That's just the way it is.

Thompson is playing well, had another good game against the cows but....

Still think he is a better winger than a FB. Whilst he is a good FB - he is not a ball player, safe under the high ball, will run the ball back and get smashed but doesn't pass the ball.

Thursday night after returning a kick running towards the KB stand he had two players outside him - cows had one (he didn't even look) and he does this countless times. Will get by but that is why people are talking contracts for RTS, Holmes, Izzy, Coote etc.

They also think the FB position needs improving.
Wrong on many accounts.

To your point on bringing the ball back and not using the wingers, I could equally show you instances in that game and others this year where he has. It's often under coaches instructions to limit passes on kick returns as it's safe football.

The type of football we play doesn't allow him to pass. Show me some instances where he is used as a link man to the backs. And that's not because he can't do it.

TheHawk

Post by TheHawk » Sun 13 May, 2018 8:30 am

Magpie Magic wrote:
Again wrong. I'll happily be able show you multiple instance where Corey has supported forwards through the middle and even gained a line break from it.

Further to that point, do you truly believe the current condition that Tui has been in this year would be able to sustain the kind of support play Corey has exhibited?

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 13 May, 2018 9:26 am

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 10 May, 2018 11:26 am
Cleary has played ET at hooker before, and I think he felt ET's stint there last week was decent, and certainly I feel his distribution was quite alright, so in having ET play 20 mins hooker you get to shift him to the backrow and not use an interchange on a second dedicated hooker.

exactly why i had ET starting at hooker in my rd 1 team. We need extra forwards with the speed of the game and Elijah would definitely tighten up the middle

it's a shame that brooks/benji/reynolds have to be in the 17 otherwise ET at 9 and liddle at 14 is the way to go all year
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

kingbrooks

Post by kingbrooks » Sun 13 May, 2018 9:31 am

Blame fitness all you like but Tui has not even show an inch of anything that he should be fullback. As people have pointed out, we don't score that try on Thursday where thompson linked, i doubt we score the support try vs parra etc.

On the vice versa, when Tui was fullback, I remember Liddle going through untouched in his first two games and having noone in support.

And I think Thompson to the wing is not a great idea, we gain a bit of speed on the fringe but most of his impact will be lost.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 13 May, 2018 10:08 am

TheHawk wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 8:28 am
Russell wrote:

"Eventually"

After a few weeks off and coming back as a FB - you are going to go missing a bit in the last quarter. That's just the way it is.

Still think he is a better winger than a FB. Whilst he is a good FB - he is not a ball player, safe under the high ball, will run the ball back and get smashed but doesn't pass the ball.

Thursday night after returning a kick running towards the KB stand he had two players outside him - cows had one (he didn't even look) and he does this countless times. Will get by but that is why people are talking contracts for RTS, Holmes, Izzy, Coote etc.

Wrong on many accounts.

To your point on bringing the ball back and not using the wingers, I could equally show you instances in that game and others this year where he has. It's often under coaches instructions to limit passes on kick returns as it's safe football.

The type of football we play doesn't allow him to pass. Show me some instances where he is used as a link man to the backs. And that's not because he can't do it.
You are assuming Cleary told him not to pass.

I am assuming he didn't - you could be just as incorrect as me.

I still stand by my post above. I don't think I am wrong on many accounts. We will see as the year progresses, shall we.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 13 May, 2018 10:11 am

TheHawk wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 8:30 am
Magpie Magic wrote:
Again wrong. I'll happily be able show you multiple instance where Corey has supported forwards through the middle and even gained a line break from it.

Further to that point, do you truly believe the current condition that Tui has been in this year would be able to sustain the kind of support play Corey has exhibited?
You need to get off the guys case. He has been injured and is coming back after a knee injury.

How good to you think his condition is. He will regain that as he plays more games in ISP.

You need to give people a fair go.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 13 May, 2018 10:13 am

kingbrooks wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 9:31 am
Blame fitness all you like but Tui has not even show an inch of anything that he should be fullback. As people have pointed out, we don't score that try on Thursday where thompson linked, i doubt we score the support try vs parra etc.

On the vice versa, when Tui was fullback, I remember Liddle going through untouched in his first two games and having noone in support.

And I think Thompson to the wing is not a great idea, we gain a bit of speed on the fringe but most of his impact will be lost.
Think you are incorrect - your love for Thompson is swaying your judgement.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sun 13 May, 2018 10:23 am

I dont think Tui gets a starting spot in any position for a while yet - other than due to injury.
I dont think any player deserves to be dropped for Tui based on what we have seen from him this year.
A lot of faith in him by some but he has some ground to make up to earn a position above others.
Fonua is a classic example of biding his time and making the most of his opportunity - that was a performance by a man wanting to retain a position.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 13 May, 2018 10:23 am

Geo. wrote:
Thu 10 May, 2018 11:33 am
Josh stayed in NZ with family issues...

I think Cleary's Squad approach will pay dividends further into the season...Most changes have been forced through short to medium term Injuries to players ...

Like for like replacements also seems to be his go so no complaints there...

We need the Key guys in Packer, Rowdy, Liddle and Taylor to stay fit...
And Kev Naiqama ??

Is he completely off the radar now ??

Or injured ??

Or something else ??

Demps

Post by Demps » Sun 13 May, 2018 12:17 pm

kingbrooks wrote:

Quote for truth
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Post by 851 » Sun 13 May, 2018 1:43 pm

Russell wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 10:13 am
kingbrooks wrote:

Think you are incorrect - your love for Thompson is swaying your judgement.
Maybe your love of Tui is clouding your judgement, we can only base our opinion on form shown so far this year.
Go hard or go home

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Sun 13 May, 2018 2:20 pm

Russell wrote:

"Eventually"

Once Tui is fit this will be a great selection head ache for IC. Thompson was everywhere on Thur night. His efforts to back up the play are unbelievable. His offload to MWZ(?) for 1 of our tries was outstanding also.