Fonua and The Mullet..

Wests Tigers Discussion
Geo.

Fonua and The Mullet..

Post by Geo. » Thu 10 May, 2018 10:10 am

Cult hero Mahe Fonua on his journey from Hull to Concord and his adoring fans that stay in touch
Nick Walshaw, League Central, The Daily Telegraph
May 10, 2018 8:10am

EVERY few weeks, they call Wests Tigers HQ.

It’s another Hull FC fan on the phone. Out here on holiday, they say. Or visiting family.

So what time can we drop by training to see Mahe Fonua?

And those not flush enough to travel, they email messages of support. Or post on Facebook.

Just as throughout the winger’s two seasons of English Super League, fans gifted paintings, cards, drawings, teddy bears, even a birthday invitation.

And, no, that particular party Fonua couldn’t attend. Still, he sent a card. And inside, some cash.

The little Yorkshire fan, a fella named Archie, in turn burning two stick figures onto a small, wooden key ring — representing himself and Fonua — that still swings from the footballer’s kit bag.

”The Hull FC fans, they showed me love, man,” Fonua says. “Proper love.
“Since December alone, I’ve had four different groups come visit me at training. And I stay in contact with them, too
“The love and support, it’s endless.”

All of which proves one thing: Mahe Fonua, 25, isn’t simply about the mullet. Or rat’s tail.

Or whatever it is hanging from the head of this new Wests Tigers cult figure.

Sure, seated now in the Concord Oval grandstand, Fonua is every inch a fella capable of making you look twice.

Tattooed arms. Terminator frame. Even three teeth capped in gold.

But if gimmicks were all it took to win over League Land, we’d still be wearing Power Balance wristbands. But we don’t.

Just as that mullet isn’t the ugliest part of this story.

No, for that you need to go inside Fonua’s family home three years ago — back when this rising Melbourne winger stood with his mum crying, dad confused and fiancee Christine ... well, she was inconsolable and asking who in the room even knew where Hull was?

Of the four, nobody did. Not that it mattered.

“Because there wasn’t another club wanted me,” Fonua says. “No one.”

So NRL cult figure? Um, no.

At the age of 22, Fonua had long considered his future to be at Melbourne. More than being the first Victorian to play for Storm, the Junior Kangaroo had by 2015 also racked up 50 first-grade appearances, a World Club Championship, even a handful of internationals with Tonga.

He was a rising star. Until he wasn’t.

And if being unwanted in your home town sounds bad, how about all of Australia?

“Oh, it hurt,” Fonua says. “I’m 22 and suddenly being told the only club interested is across the world, in some town I’ve never heard of.

“Earlier that evening, Christine and I were driving home from dinner when my manager called. He’d been talking about England for a while, but I kept saying, no, get something here.

“Anyway, I’ve got him on loudspeaker and he says there’s no one but Hull. And they want a decision tonight.

“My missus is looking across at me from the passenger seat — she’s in shock.

“So I’ve asked for a few hours, then gone straight to see the old man. I sat Christine down, she was distraught.

“We were born and raised in Melbourne, only ever lived with our families. Dad and mum, they were tearing up too ... but there just wasn’t anything else.”

So next morning at 7am, Fonua agreed to join Hull, wherever it was.

“And my missus,” he says with a laugh, “started crying all over again.”

So a yarn about hair?

No, this is the story about a footballer who has spent three years fighting to prove he belongs.

Sure, he may look a little, err, Good Time Charlie.

But know that this new Tigers flanker is driven by the values of a father who worked three jobs to keep five children fed.

Sweating all day with a Melbourne road gang concreting and laying bluestone, Moses Fonua then headed across town to work nightshift at the Toyota factory.

Afterwards, home to sleep a few hours then go again.

“And dad did that for years,” Fonua says. “Friday and Saturday nights, he worked security, too.

The wrecking ball has been patient waiting for an NRL start with the Tigers.
“And Mum, she worked, of course.

“So while our family wasn’t well off, we certainly weren’t the worst.”

It also meant that when Fonua arrived in Hull, he knew exactly what was required.

And so, he sweated. Improved. And starred.

Within two years, the winger nobody wanted had won consecutive Challenge Cup finals, Dream Team selection, even “made a bit of noise” with Tonga at the 2017 World Cup.

And still he did more.

Quizzed on his bond with Hull FC fans, Fonua says humbly: “Obviously winning helps.

“But I’d also like to think it had something to do with the way I played. And that after games, I’d high-five as many fans as possible.

“I’ve always believed that what fans really want is the chance to interact.”

Undeniably, hair also played some part, most famously a rat’s tail that was last seen hanging halfway down his back.

So what happened to it? “Ah, some of it’s still there,” Fonua says, fishing a thin, 20cm strand from within his mullet. “But the rest, I cut it off by accident.

“During the World Cup, I had extensions in. So when I went to take them out after a training session, when I grabbed a chunk of hair and snipped through ... somehow I got the rat’s tail I’d been growing for seven years.”

Devastated? “Oh, absolutely. But hair, it grows back.”

Careers too, apparently.

He is now back in the NRL — and the father of a little girl whose birth certificate reads ‘Hull’ — and the fight continues.

We might see Fonua as some mad dude with a mullet. But when he looks in the mirror? “I’m the provider for my family,” says the footballer whose elaborate inkwork, a collection of roses, doves, clasped hands, angels, even Jesus Christ, represents different family members.

“And here at Wests Tigers, there’s five guys can play my position. So sometimes you play, sometimes you don’t.

“And that’s all right if it happens once. But to some guys, that’s happening every couple of weeks: you’re in, you’re out, then back in, then out again ... there is a lot of head noise comes with that.”

So Fonua, he sweats. “Try to be a handful,” he says. “Whenever I run, I’ll fight for extra metres or an offload. Fight to throw defenders off.

“And I know people might only see the mullet. Look at me and think, ‘man, you missed the 80s’.

“That’s OK. I know initially, it will be about the hair. But eventually, yeah ... I hope people will realise there’s more to me, too.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 20b4be7cd8
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 10 May, 2018 10:16 am

Smash en up Mahe...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Elderslie Tiger

Post by Elderslie Tiger » Thu 10 May, 2018 11:06 am

Leauge central has a good article on Mahe today sound just the type of player Ivan wants.Also noticed racehorse Balmain Boy won race 5 at Warick Farm yesterday paying $9.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 10 May, 2018 11:30 am

Ah good article.

Next time I go to the UK I'm desperate keen to go to a ESL match. I go to the UK every few years but generally don't have much business in the North, and I don't know any Brits there who are league supporters, so I might have to go myself.

But I'd just like to experience how they support their sides, because frankly it seems like they take it to another level.

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 10 May, 2018 12:36 pm

He's awesome.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Thu 10 May, 2018 1:39 pm

Cult Status ...
We need more mullet meat heads like
Mahe !
Offical member of the MCK fan club.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 10 May, 2018 4:44 pm

The real beast!

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Thu 10 May, 2018 5:18 pm

Hope he has a big season, starting tonight.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 10 May, 2018 9:50 pm

Never mind the mullet, the real beast has arrived!
"Quality Stupidity"

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Thu 10 May, 2018 9:53 pm

He played very well on the form he has shown since he hit first grade he will stay there hopefully in the centres

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 10 May, 2018 9:53 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
Thu 10 May, 2018 9:50 pm
Never mind the mullet, the real beast has arrived!
Indeed.... He had a blinder tonight

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 10 May, 2018 9:54 pm

You can give up your crown MCK. The real beast is here.

Watching him makes me hear Brock Lesnar’s theme,

Magpie69

Post by Magpie69 » Thu 10 May, 2018 9:55 pm

TBH I wasn't sure about this guy, but wow

marzie

Post by marzie » Thu 10 May, 2018 9:55 pm

Absolute weapon

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Thu 10 May, 2018 10:01 pm

Supercoach who said we lack power?

Wildie

Post by Wildie » Fri 11 May, 2018 7:01 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 10 May, 2018 11:30 am
Ah good article.

Next time I go to the UK I'm desperate keen to go to a ESL match. I go to the UK every few years but generally don't have much business in the North, and I don't know any Brits there who are league supporters, so I might have to go myself.

But I'd just like to experience how they support their sides, because frankly it seems like they take it to another level.
As a Hull fan I am happy that you guys are seeing from Fonua what we saw for the 2 years he was with us. His intensity with the ball can lead to loose carries, and his defence can be sometimes dodgy, but man he was good to watch.

In terms of the atmosphere in the UK at games, if you do get to a game, then it needs to be one of the 'derby games' - Hull FC v Hull KR, Leeds v Castleford, St Helens v Wigan etc. the atmosphere is normally fantastic

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 11 May, 2018 11:33 pm

Wildie wrote:
Fri 11 May, 2018 7:01 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Thu 10 May, 2018 11:30 am
Ah good article.

As a Hull fan I am happy that you guys are seeing from Fonua what we saw for the 2 years he was with us. His intensity with the ball can lead to loose carries, and his defence can be sometimes dodgy, but man he was good to watch.

In terms of the atmosphere in the UK at games, if you do get to a game, then it needs to be one of the 'derby games' - Hull FC v Hull KR, Leeds v Castleford, St Helens v Wigan etc. the atmosphere is normally fantastic
Cheers thanks. It will happen for me eventually.

Bula

Post by Bula » Sat 12 May, 2018 8:16 am

Looks scarier than Tracey Grimshaw.