Nelson wrote:
Fri 11 May, 2018 4:03 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 11 May, 2018 2:46 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Fri 11 May, 2018 12:20 pm
Seantice wrote:
Fri 11 May, 2018 7:21 am

Or he actually has played and has made an important observation. Lateral movement is definitely an issue for players that are bulkier and have come back from a injury. Greg inglis is a great example of a player who struggled until recently of moving laterally hence he got beaten a few times. There a lot of forwards who struggle too.
Rather than trying to guess what experience people do or do not have, I can tell you what I saw.

We sat behind the goal posts and Fonua was good enough when Cowboys shifted. And they shifted wide often enough, usually using Taumololo to drag defenders in.

Neither Morgan nor Hampton could really get on the outside of Fonua or Brooks, and both those guys slid quite well when the plays did come. Morgan and Hampton obviously favour speed over power, but neither of them really got close to beating Fonua on the outside.

Putting it another way, lateral speed in defence is all about sufficient speed over short distances. You don't have to be a field-length speed machine to cover blokes trying to beat you on the outside, you only have to match them for about 10m max. You need to have feet fast enough not to be caught flat-footed by a jink, goose, step etc. Look at how Marsters set up Nofo, just a little jink made O'Neill hesitate and get just beaten enough draw the winger in. Fonua on the other hand shepherded Hampton all night, who himself is pretty quick - so that will do me.

The whole left side defence was pretty good, even the half-break that Feldt made, Brooks still covered him on the inside. Now no doubting Morgan was out of sorts, but our right side defence only had to deal with O'Neill and Winterstein, the former who made at least 4 knock-ons and the latter who runs like a lame duck, makes Nofo look like Michael Johnson.
Great analysis from a bloke trying to pretend you know your stuff and has never played the game!! :roll:
That comment just makes you sound like a knob really.
Nelson, I was making reference to the comment that most posters are couch sitters. . I was being sarcastic mate. I’m saying his comment is on the money
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Fri 11 May, 2018 6:40 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 11 May, 2018 5:38 pm
Nelson wrote:
Fri 11 May, 2018 4:03 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 11 May, 2018 2:46 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Fri 11 May, 2018 12:20 pm

Rather than trying to guess what experience people do or do not have, I can tell you what I saw.

We sat behind the goal posts and Fonua was good enough when Cowboys shifted. And they shifted wide often enough, usually using Taumololo to drag defenders in.

Neither Morgan nor Hampton could really get on the outside of Fonua or Brooks, and both those guys slid quite well when the plays did come. Morgan and Hampton obviously favour speed over power, but neither of them really got close to beating Fonua on the outside.

Putting it another way, lateral speed in defence is all about sufficient speed over short distances. You don't have to be a field-length speed machine to cover blokes trying to beat you on the outside, you only have to match them for about 10m max. You need to have feet fast enough not to be caught flat-footed by a jink, goose, step etc. Look at how Marsters set up Nofo, just a little jink made O'Neill hesitate and get just beaten enough draw the winger in. Fonua on the other hand shepherded Hampton all night, who himself is pretty quick - so that will do me.

The whole left side defence was pretty good, even the half-break that Feldt made, Brooks still covered him on the inside. Now no doubting Morgan was out of sorts, but our right side defence only had to deal with O'Neill and Winterstein, the former who made at least 4 knock-ons and the latter who runs like a lame duck, makes Nofo look like Michael Johnson.
Great analysis from a bloke trying to pretend you know your stuff and has never played the game!! :roll:
That comment just makes you sound like a knob really.
Nelson, I was making reference to the comment that most posters are couch sitters. . I was being sarcastic mate. I’m saying his comment is on the money
Haha sorry, I wasn't following the thread and just read it in isolation :oops:

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 11 May, 2018 6:55 pm

Wish I could post a photo of our dog a Shiztsu /Maltese cross , she just had a hair cut today , not the usual person who does it and her hair is a spitting image of Mahe Fonua