Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: Fonua in the centres

Post by formerguest » Fri 11 May, 2018 8:36 am

Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Fri 11 May, 2018 7:39 am
Wa Mag/Tig wrote:
Thu 10 May, 2018 11:15 pm
Happy i live in WA and i know that there was a very heavy wind in sydney tonight. I don't blame Masters for missing his conversions, from almost the sideline. JT gets one from sideline but thats a champ. The wind played alot when it came to taking a high kick. Its a win or lose thing in the breeze. Glad you're liking Brooks coz he is very impressive. Hope Fitler is blind for Tigers sake or opens his eyes for Brooks sake.
By kick off the wind had died down considerably. In fact when master was kicking the wind was gone. I would say when he was warming up the wind was a factor by the time the game started it was a light breeze and masters over compensated on both first half kicks.
Yeah, either red hot or ice cold thus far with his kicking, but at around 80%, so can't complain too much.

Mahe certainly nailed his opportunity last night, with MWZ not being far behind also showed that he deserved to remain as well.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 11 May, 2018 8:57 am

Wa Mag/Tig wrote:
Fri 11 May, 2018 12:06 am
Defensive and laterally movement? I hear that alot on this forum. Mostly from the same posters. I think most of those posters would have never played the game and use such words to try and make everyone think that they are the Gus Goulds of the Rugby League world. Pick up a football and run. It's not as easy as it seems sitting on the sideline or on a couch.

Yeah whatever

Never played the game :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll

Demps

Post by Demps » Fri 11 May, 2018 9:00 am

Fonua / MWZ combo was explosive.
That pass that didn't stick with Brooks in the middle, coulda been another amazing try.

I think that's the centre wing pairing you'll see for the rest of the year barring injury.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Fri 11 May, 2018 9:01 am

I feel sorry for Kevvy.

Great clubman and he's been good for us this year and the backend of last.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 11 May, 2018 9:05 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 10 May, 2018 10:06 pm
Much better suited in the centres. Doesn’t have to worry about the high ball.
Yes, and he's a better blocker/defender for his winger under those bombs and can be ready for the 2nd or 3rd hit up

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 11 May, 2018 12:20 pm

Seantice wrote:
Fri 11 May, 2018 7:21 am
Wa Mag/Tig wrote:
Defensive and laterally movement? I hear that alot on this forum. Mostly from the same posters. I think most of those posters would have never played the game and use such words to try and make everyone think that they are the Gus Goulds of the Rugby League world. Pick up a football and run. It's not as easy as it seems sitting on the sideline or on a couch.
Or he actually has played and has made an important observation. Lateral movement is definitely an issue for players that are bulkier and have come back from a injury. Greg inglis is a great example of a player who struggled until recently of moving laterally hence he got beaten a few times. There a lot of forwards who struggle too.
Rather than trying to guess what experience people do or do not have, I can tell you what I saw.

We sat behind the goal posts and Fonua was good enough when Cowboys shifted. And they shifted wide often enough, usually using Taumololo to drag defenders in.

Neither Morgan nor Hampton could really get on the outside of Fonua or Brooks, and both those guys slid quite well when the plays did come. Morgan and Hampton obviously favour speed over power, but neither of them really got close to beating Fonua on the outside.

Putting it another way, lateral speed in defence is all about sufficient speed over short distances. You don't have to be a field-length speed machine to cover blokes trying to beat you on the outside, you only have to match them for about 10m max. You need to have feet fast enough not to be caught flat-footed by a jink, goose, step etc. Look at how Marsters set up Nofo, just a little jink made O'Neill hesitate and get just beaten enough draw the winger in. Fonua on the other hand shepherded Hampton all night, who himself is pretty quick - so that will do me.

The whole left side defence was pretty good, even the half-break that Feldt made, Brooks still covered him on the inside. Now no doubting Morgan was out of sorts, but our right side defence only had to deal with O'Neill and Winterstein, the former who made at least 4 knock-ons and the latter who runs like a lame duck, makes Nofo look like Michael Johnson.

iofthetigers

Post by iofthetigers » Fri 11 May, 2018 12:29 pm

The team looks more balanced with him in it, he was good however the right side defence was exceptional. I think the mistakes from O'Neill & Winternstein were more from pressure & frustration(something the Tigers never seem to get credit for).

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Fri 11 May, 2018 12:52 pm

Geo. wrote:
Thu 10 May, 2018 11:39 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 10 May, 2018 11:34 pm
willow wrote:
Thu 10 May, 2018 11:31 pm
Better in the centres, he and Marsters are a handful, and combined with Rowdy on the left edge, we looked great.
Tonight wasn't a good game to judge him defensively , especially under pressure , when he has attackers at different angles and decisions need to be made
Ben Hampton disagrees....
Hampton has been attacking well at centre too, scored some good tries and made some breaks where he had plenty of work to do. I've been surprised at how well he's gone there. He's a bit like Kurt Mann, suffers from his utility...

westy81

Post by westy81 » Fri 11 May, 2018 2:38 pm

I prefer fonua in the centre position over Kevin, I think fonua can offer more than Kevin

I think the back line we had against the cows was the best we have named this year

So much speed, offload and tackle break ability in the whole back line, could score a try from anywhere on the field
GO THE TIGERS !!!!

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Fri 11 May, 2018 2:46 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 11 May, 2018 12:20 pm
Seantice wrote:
Wa Mag/Tig wrote:
Or he actually has played and has made an important observation. Lateral movement is definitely an issue for players that are bulkier and have come back from a injury. Greg inglis is a great example of a player who struggled until recently of moving laterally hence he got beaten a few times. There a lot of forwards who struggle too.
Rather than trying to guess what experience people do or do not have, I can tell you what I saw.

We sat behind the goal posts and Fonua was good enough when Cowboys shifted. And they shifted wide often enough, usually using Taumololo to drag defenders in.

Neither Morgan nor Hampton could really get on the outside of Fonua or Brooks, and both those guys slid quite well when the plays did come. Morgan and Hampton obviously favour speed over power, but neither of them really got close to beating Fonua on the outside.

Putting it another way, lateral speed in defence is all about sufficient speed over short distances. You don't have to be a field-length speed machine to cover blokes trying to beat you on the outside, you only have to match them for about 10m max. You need to have feet fast enough not to be caught flat-footed by a jink, goose, step etc. Look at how Marsters set up Nofo, just a little jink made O'Neill hesitate and get just beaten enough draw the winger in. Fonua on the other hand shepherded Hampton all night, who himself is pretty quick - so that will do me.

The whole left side defence was pretty good, even the half-break that Feldt made, Brooks still covered him on the inside. Now no doubting Morgan was out of sorts, but our right side defence only had to deal with O'Neill and Winterstein, the former who made at least 4 knock-ons and the latter who runs like a lame duck, makes Nofo look like Michael Johnson.
Great analysis from a bloke trying to pretend you know your stuff and has never played the game!! :roll:
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

joelw2002

Post by joelw2002 » Fri 11 May, 2018 2:50 pm

I always thought he was better suited to the centres, not overly fast to be on the wing but does big hit ups and makes good runs.
President of the Mahe Fonua Fan Club

Mahe Fonua Fan Club Members:

upthetigers. happy tiger. NT Tiger. WestsBenTigers. Masterton. westy81. Tiger Steve. Donald Trump. The Patriot. TigerTiger. TopTiger. Earl. JB58. Magpie Magic. Wildcat777. wt01.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Fri 11 May, 2018 2:55 pm

i wouldn't change the L side- brooks, lawrence, fonua and mwz

R side- rochow needs to do more in attack- in defense he's dependable.
marsters has kept his spot
benji vs reynolds
noffa vs kevin for the R wing spot for me

let's see how it goes with injuries
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Fri 11 May, 2018 3:55 pm

Tacky wrote:
Thu 10 May, 2018 10:04 pm
He has to be in the team. You can't drop him just after getting MOTM.

Kev and MCK have to battle it out.
Yep. Lets see how this goes. I would also add Nofo in the mix although he had a great game.
Unsure who works best Nofo + Marsters or Kevie + Marsters.
tig_prmz wrote:
Fri 11 May, 2018 2:55 pm
i wouldn't change the L side- brooks, lawrence, fonua and mwz

R side- rochow needs to do more in attack- in defense he's dependable.
marsters has kept his spot
benji vs reynolds
noffa vs kevin for the R wing spot for me

let's see how it goes with injuries
Benji needs a bit of reserves time. Make no mistake the guy is a true superstar, but he has to play with the team and get the role right. Lets bring Reynolds in for awhile.

Personally put Thompson back to the right wing, move Kevin to fullback ( I thought Tui was going to play Fullback this game). If we have to wait a game for Nofo to let a few tries in, so be it.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Fri 11 May, 2018 4:03 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 11 May, 2018 2:46 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Seantice wrote:
Wa Mag/Tig wrote:

Great analysis from a bloke trying to pretend you know your stuff and has never played the game!! :roll:
That comment just makes you sound like a knob really.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 11 May, 2018 4:38 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Seantice wrote:
Wa Mag/Tig wrote:

Lateral movement also is talking about how you are able to cope with a player using a change of pace to beat you on the outside

Couple of blokes I mentioned in the other thread like Dufty , Ponga and Tedesco can beat you in 2-3 steps by using a change of pace and anchoring a defender

But I have never played the game before (so I'm told )

Have to ask Dad which cupboard kid he had that had the 1986 Open State Schoolboys jersey that is framed on the wall in his room :o

And why the hell he looked at me and said it was the only worthwhile thing he got from 5 years of my schooling :?

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 11 May, 2018 4:47 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 11 May, 2018 8:57 am
Wa Mag/Tig wrote:

Yeah whatever

Never played the game :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll
Obviously Wa Mag/Tig is unaware of the fullback who all the modern fullbacks modelled their games..the bloke who would snap raging backrowers in half in D..run through opposition teams like a hot knife through butter and torp his soaking wet leather balls 60 on the fly before 40/20's were even a thing... :lol:

P.S Fonua made good defensive decisions yesterday...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Fri 11 May, 2018 5:14 pm

I like him in the centres Lawrence, Brooks, Fonua on the same side is quite lethal.
Our centre pairing of Marsters and Fonua is powerful. Played well read the attack well and made every tackle and ran hard. Faultless performance absolutely killed them. I thought he’d struggle on quick shifts but he really defended well,

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 11 May, 2018 5:27 pm

Nelson wrote:
Fri 11 May, 2018 4:03 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Seantice wrote:

That comment just makes you sound like a knob really.
I think it was sarcasm and a crack at Wa Mag/Tig