Wests Tigers Discussion
Tiger Steve

Re: Robbie Rochow

Post by Tiger Steve » Mon 14 May, 2018 10:20 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 4:40 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 8:45 am
Nice to see so many defending our Plodders these days....

Aloiai for me in place of Rochow this week,,,
If Aloiai gets selected we'd better hope he can keep up with our defensive line.
We have so many players in the tackle, which contains the attack.
Rochow doesn't make big dominate tackles but he is always there, blocking, force the play to where we have more bodies and stopping the play from getting to our edges.
Before Aloiai got dropped, the play was always going past him out to our edge.
Aloiai can put a big hit on but i'm not sure if our defence will be as good, if he replaces Rochow.
Insightful comment. Rochow does a job that suits our defensive structure and style.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 14 May, 2018 10:21 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 9:33 pm
Rochow may need a break , but is still playing OK

Call em plodders , call em whatever , but you need one or two to hold the team together
I don't get why professional athletes need a break. If it was a young kid playing his first full season, i might see the point, but with seasoned first graders? Marshall is another who some say needs a break. If these guys can't handle the grind of a full season, they should make like the Chili Peppers and give it away.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 14 May, 2018 10:34 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 9:29 pm
Geo. wrote:

Inside info?
No..just my preference..

I think we will need a bit more aggression against arguably one of the better packs in the Comp..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 14 May, 2018 10:41 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 10:21 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 9:33 pm
Rochow may need a break , but is still playing OK

Call em plodders , call em whatever , but you need one or two to hold the team together
I don't get why professional athletes need a break. If it was a young kid playing his first full season, i might see the point, but with seasoned first graders? Marshall is another who some say needs a break. If these guys can't handle the grind of a full season, they should make like the Chili Peppers and give it away.
Neither Benji or Robbie have played full time NRL for a few seasons in the real sense Gunners

Mental fatigue is as important if not more important than physical fatigue

Benji in particular needs to be switched on 100 % we all have seen what happens when he isn't

LARDS

Post by LARDS » Tue 15 May, 2018 6:12 am

I remember hearing or reading something about Rochow , that he has a very smart football brain and that he could be a coach on day.
Have a think about our squad. No-one else stands out as any Einsteins.

Also, cleary said last night that there are players that you need , temporarily, for 2_3 years that improve the culture of the club. I think he may have been talking about rochow.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 15 May, 2018 7:25 am

LARDS wrote:
Tue 15 May, 2018 6:12 am
I remember hearing or reading something about Rochow , that he has a very smart football brain and that he could be a coach on day.
Have a think about our squad. No-one else stands out as any Einsteins.

Also, cleary said last night that there are players that you need , temporarily, for 2_3 years that improve the culture of the club. I think he may have been talking about rochow.
Agree. There are more naturally gifted athletes in our squad than Rochow but until they can do all the things required to carry out the game plan for long minutes they run the risk of being a liability.
Corey Thompson is another example of a player who doesn't stop and has a great football brain.
These qualities are what we need to instill the whole team moving forward.
in Ivan we distrust

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Tue 15 May, 2018 7:40 am

Geo. wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 10:34 pm
bathursttiger wrote:
Geo. wrote:

Inside info?
No..just my preference..

I think we will need a bit more aggression against arguably one of the better packs in the Comp..
I think the point with Penrith is that they will challenge our middle and then our edges. Very big mobile, aggressive pack. Best way to play teams like this is to control the ball and kick to the corners (memo to benji). I don’t think it matters who is in the team if we don’t do this.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Tue 15 May, 2018 7:55 am

Geo. wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 10:34 pm
bathursttiger wrote:
Geo. wrote:

Inside info?
No..just my preference..

Our right edge also needs to be able to contain Kikau though.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Tue 15 May, 2018 9:54 am

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 8:55 pm
It's an interesting one, because a lot of people aren't impressed with RR but he is still arguably the first backrower selected every week.

I think the 80 minute capacity helps, and yeah he makes a lot of missed tackles, but he also makes a fair number of vital ones. Brooks still also misses a lot of tackles but seems to also make the ones that count.

There's very clearly something that the coach sees in Rochow, pulling the selection surprise in the trials and Rd 1, and it persists. I personally am not exactly sure what that is, but Cleary does seem to be a bloke who knows what he wants from his players and why.
I see him being able to shift to the middle to allow another a rest and impact on the edge from MCK etc is a key reason. That he was the one unjustly penalised for pressuring the kicker in golden point against the donkeys, when finishing yet another game in the middle shows just what he brings to the side.

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 15 May, 2018 10:44 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 4:40 pm
Geo. wrote:

If Aloiai gets selected we'd better hope he can keep up with our defensive line.
We have so many players in the tackle, which contains the attack.
Rochow doesn't make big dominate tackles but he is always there, blocking, force the play to where we have more bodies and stopping the play from getting to our edges.
Before Aloiai got dropped, the play was always going past him out to our edge.
Aloiai can put a big hit on but i'm not sure if our defence will be as good, if he replaces Rochow.
Absolutely correct TD, Aloiai has a lot to learn - it is not just about a big hit or a couple of strong runs. He also can't play for eighty. So a few more weeks yet in ISP as far as I am concerned. He'll be better for it.

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 15 May, 2018 10:48 am

joelw2002 wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 9:05 pm
I thought Rochow was really good for about the first 3 rounds. Since then he's been pretty poor. I would start Aloiai in the second row with Lawrence and just drop Rochow from the team all together so we can still have Chee-Kam the beast on the bench.
You've been reading too much of Tacky's malarki.

(That is not Malakai spelt incorrectly either).