Robbie Rochow

•  Recent Topics
Wests Tigers Discussion
happy tiger

Re: Robbie Rochow

Post by happy tiger » Sun 13 May, 2018 9:28 am

Geo. wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 8:45 am
Nice to see so many defending our Plodders these days....

Aloiai for me in place of Rochow this week,,,
Seems like every coach loves a plodder

Go figure :shock:

Remember Wests in the early 90's , Ryan signed just about every plodder available Wynn ,Rambo ,Joe Thomas ,Henjak etc

rex2ce

Post by rex2ce » Sun 13 May, 2018 9:52 am

Felise the forgotten man?

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sun 13 May, 2018 10:06 am

kingbrooks wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 9:27 am
tig_prmz wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 9:15 am
TIGER wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 5:26 pm
kingbrooks wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 2:15 pm
He is ok.

He defends well but offers little in attack.

I think the issue is at times we have Taylor, Eisenhuth, Rochow and to a much lesser extent Twal on the field who all have a limited impact in attack. They all have good work rates (defensively in particular), but not much doing with the ball
Hit the nail on the head.
agree with all except twal- he's made consistent metres

i think we only have space for only two of ET, eiso and rochow- right now it's OK coz ET plays a utility role for us too but once reynolds fills that hole in, i think rochow might be the one to miss out
I know what your saying, and twals spot is definitely not in doubt, but I more meant guys who get to the line and push forward a bit. Twal is a hard worker who accumulates metres but i dont think he makes any strong metres where he busts the advantage line so to speak and i think when subs come on and the pack has twal, rochow, eisenhuth, taylor etc our sets are very weak.
Sue, Aloiai and/or MCK are meant to be providing the impact at that stage of the game.

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 13 May, 2018 9:00 pm

I would go further here. I agree that Rochow makes little impact with the ball. Actually, for a big man, he looks quite soft when he takes it up. The problem is, is that we have three dead set plodder amongst the forwards and these are Rochow, Eisenhuth and Taylor. None of them ever bend the line at all and that's a problem in my view. Packer, Mats and Rowdy all run with vigour but, again, despite bending the line, they rarely break it. Overall, our forwards lack potency and I would like to see Alouai and maybe Garner in there to add some spark. If we could somehow snag Taupau it would be a big plus and our forwards would immediately look twice as formidable.

barra

Post by barra » Mon 14 May, 2018 4:03 pm

willow wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 3:44 pm
barra wrote:
Sat 12 May, 2018 2:34 pm
Looking forward to seeing McQueen taking over and giving him a rest.
He's not standing out in ISP from all reports.
True, he is no stand-out. But probably the closest like-for-like if replacing Rochow, and while Rochow started the year on fire his quality has gradually eroded to the point where McQueen would probably do at least the same job and maybe better.

I guess we'll find out sooner or later, but I don't think McQueen would let anyone down. And some guys seem to perform better in bigger games.

In a perfect world I'd prefer a player with more impact like Josh A but who knows what's going on there?

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Mon 14 May, 2018 4:11 pm

McQueen would be a slight downgrade/sidegrade on current form of both players.

He has dropped off in the past few weeks but he has exceeded most peoples expectations as people didn't have him in the 17 this year.

Might be time to give him a rest and see how Aloiai goes but I think Aloiai is better value as an impact player off the bench as that is what we lack right now.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 14 May, 2018 4:40 pm

Geo. wrote:

If Aloiai gets selected we'd better hope he can keep up with our defensive line.
We have so many players in the tackle, which contains the attack.
Rochow doesn't make big dominate tackles but he is always there, blocking, force the play to where we have more bodies and stopping the play from getting to our edges.
Before Aloiai got dropped, the play was always going past him out to our edge.
Aloiai can put a big hit on but i'm not sure if our defence will be as good, if he replaces Rochow.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

kiwitiger

Post by kiwitiger » Mon 14 May, 2018 5:43 pm

Tweed Tiger wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 4:11 pm

He has dropped off in the past few weeks but he has exceeded most peoples expectations as people didn't have him in the 17 this year.

Might be time to give him a rest and see how Aloiai goes but I think Aloiai is better value as an impact player off the bench as that is what we lack right now.
hi mods I accidentally pushed the report button on this post. didn't mean it. just delete this post later cheers. in my defence I was lying on the couch nursing the 7 day old and he squirmed.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 14 May, 2018 5:57 pm

kiwitiger wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 5:43 pm
Tweed Tiger wrote:

hi mods I accidentally pushed the report button on this post. didn't mean it. just delete this post later cheers. in my defence I was lying on the couch nursing the 7 day old and he squirmed.
Congrats with the new arrival

Must already be a WT's and Rochow fan :sign:

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 14 May, 2018 8:55 pm

It's an interesting one, because a lot of people aren't impressed with RR but he is still arguably the first backrower selected every week.

I think the 80 minute capacity helps, and yeah he makes a lot of missed tackles, but he also makes a fair number of vital ones. Brooks still also misses a lot of tackles but seems to also make the ones that count.

There's very clearly something that the coach sees in Rochow, pulling the selection surprise in the trials and Rd 1, and it persists. I personally am not exactly sure what that is, but Cleary does seem to be a bloke who knows what he wants from his players and why.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 14 May, 2018 8:59 pm

kiwitiger wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 5:43 pm
Tweed Tiger wrote:

Is the Baby an Aussie or a Kiwi?

Note* If this is the first website you've mentioned the baby on, technically it makes the baby an Aussie.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 14 May, 2018 9:01 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 8:55 pm
It's an interesting one, because a lot of people aren't impressed with RR but he is still arguably the first backrower selected every week.

I think the 80 minute capacity helps, and yeah he makes a lot of missed tackles, but he also makes a fair number of vital ones. Brooks still also misses a lot of tackles but seems to also make the ones that count.

There's very clearly something that the coach sees in Rochow, pulling the selection surprise in the trials and Rd 1, and it persists. I personally am not exactly sure what that is, but Cleary does seem to be a bloke who knows what he wants from his players and why.
I would argue Chris Lawrence is the first backrower picked ..and I would win..

I do see why Cleary likes the no flash of Rochow as a stable bloke who plays big minutes tho...it's almost Lovett like..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

joelw2002

Post by joelw2002 » Mon 14 May, 2018 9:05 pm

I thought Rochow was really good for about the first 3 rounds. Since then he's been pretty poor. I would start Aloiai in the second row with Lawrence and just drop Rochow from the team all together so we can still have Chee-Kam the beast on the bench.
President of the Mahe Fonua Fan Club

Mahe Fonua Fan Club Members:

upthetigers. happy tiger. NT Tiger. WestsBenTigers. Masterton. westy81. Tiger Steve. The Patriot. TigerTiger. TopTiger. Earl. JB58. Magpie Magic. Wildcat777.

Post by 851 » Mon 14 May, 2018 9:18 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 9:28 am
Geo. wrote:

Remember Wests in the early 90's , Ryan signed just about every plodder available Wynn ,Rambo ,Joe Thomas ,Henjak etc
And they along with Rampling were good for Wests, especially Thomas he was very under rated.
Go hard or go home

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Mon 14 May, 2018 9:29 pm

Geo. wrote:

Inside info?

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 14 May, 2018 9:30 pm

851 wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 9:18 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 9:28 am
Geo. wrote:

And they along with Rampling were good for Wests, especially Thomas he was very under rated.
Really good mix of youth and experience

Was Billy Dunn in that time period

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 14 May, 2018 9:33 pm

Rochow may need a break , but is still playing OK

Call em plodders , call em whatever , but you need one or two to hold the team together

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 14 May, 2018 10:18 pm

rex2ce wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 9:52 am
Felise the forgotten man?
Has only been in the 21 once or twice at the absolute most this year from memory. Safe to say the coach isn't a fan.