Eels and Tigers keen to open new stadium

Wests Tigers Discussion
User avatar
Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2937
Joined: Thu 06 Apr, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: Tweed Heads

Eels and Tigers keen to open new stadium

Post by Tweed Tiger » Thu 24 May, 2018 4:59 pm

Michael Chammas
Chief Reporter
Thu 24 May 2018, 03:57 PM

The new Western Sydney Stadium is unlikely to be open for the first month of the 2019 NRL season as discussions begin about a potential Easter Monday launch between the Parramatta Eels and the Wests Tigers.

Construction of the $300 million 30,000-seat venue, which will have the steepest grandstands in the country, is set to be completed by April next year.

Easter Monday falls on April 22 in 2019, with discussions already underway about opening the venue with two western Sydney giants on a public holiday.

The Eels' original plan to play the first match against the St George Illawarra Dragons, like they did more than three decades ago when Parramatta Stadium was built, isn't dead in the water.

However, the club is working on an alternative option should the opening of the stadium fall around the same time as the traditional Eels-Tigers Easter Monday clash.

The NRL had hoped the stadium would be ready in February to launch the venue with a weekend Nines tournament, however attention has turned to a potential 2020 tournament in Western Sydney with Brisbane in the box seat for next year.

It's understood the Wests Tigers, who have a long-term deal in place with ANZ Stadium, are also in discussions about transferring some matches from Sydney Olympic Park to Western Sydney Stadium next year.

They have a long-term deal in place to play at least four matches a year at ANZ Stadium, but given VenuesLive now operate both the Olympic Park venue and the new Parramatta stadium, terms of the deal could be up for negotiation.

The Tigers are yet to commit to their suburban grounds but it's expected they will continue to play at least three matches out of Campbelltown and Leichhardt, especially with murmurs gathering momentum that suburban grounds could receive a financial injection as part of the government's stadiums strategy.

South Sydney, Canterbury and St George Illawarra are also weighing up the possibility of using the new Western Sydney facility in some capacity.

It's likely the Rabbitohs and Bulldogs, who have met with the state government and opposition leader Luke Foley, will continue their current arrangement with ANZ Stadium next year.

However, they are waiting on the government to provide clarity in regards to constructing timing of the Olympic stadium before determining if or how many games they will play in Parramatta from 2020 while ANZ Stadium is being renovated.

The Sydney Roosters have knocked back an expression of interest to take some games to western Sydney and will play nine or 10 of their home matches at the Sydney Cricket Ground next year while Allianz Stadium is being knocked down and rebuilt.

The Panthers have shown no interest in playing matches out of Parramatta.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/24/par ... ockbuster/


User avatar
prattenparkchild
Member
Member
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun 07 May, 2017 1:10 pm

Post by prattenparkchild » Thu 24 May, 2018 6:01 pm

For heavens sake- ANZ Stadium, Parra Stadium, Leichhardt Oval and Campbelltown for only some 12 home games. Talk about the wandering nomads.

Will Parra Stadium take down all the Parramatte Eels paraphenalia etc when we play there as a home game? When we play Parra as a home game at Parra Stadium how on earth do we get a home game feel about that?

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9688
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Post by Yossarian » Thu 24 May, 2018 6:05 pm

Hmm I don't recall St George-Illawarra playing in 1986...

User avatar
the third
Member
Member
Posts: 855
Joined: Wed 01 Sep, 2010 10:55 pm
Location: here and there

Post by the third » Thu 24 May, 2018 7:22 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 6:05 pm
Hmm I don't recall St George-Illawarra playing in 1986...
Pretty hard for 3 teams to play in the same game

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5078
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Thu 24 May, 2018 7:35 pm

This is disappointing - looks like this new stadium is just a replacement for Parramatta.

i.e. not like ANZ in that it is leased and becomes home ground for 2 or 3 teams.

From what can be seen - if we play there on a regular basis we would just be playing at Parramatta's home ground.

Looks like Mick Cronin stand etc. will be put up again.

Thought it would be good initially.


User avatar
Milky
Member
Member
Posts: 5336
Joined: Fri 29 Mar, 2013 7:08 pm

Post by Milky » Thu 24 May, 2018 8:28 pm

Should not be there.

That game gets over 30k easily. It has hit 50k before and that is due to its close proximity to the easter show.

Eels should open the game against a out of state team.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5541
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Thu 24 May, 2018 8:52 pm

Russell wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 7:35 pm
This is disappointing - looks like this new stadium is just a replacement for Parramatta.

i.e. not like ANZ in that it is leased and becomes home ground for 2 or 3 teams.

From what can be seen - if we play there on a regular basis we would just be playing at Parramatta's home ground.

Looks like Mick Cronin stand etc. will be put up again.

Thought it would be good initially.
We neef to play all our games there or none.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29273
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Thu 24 May, 2018 8:57 pm

Russell wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 7:35 pm
This is disappointing - looks like this new stadium is just a replacement for Parramatta.

i.e. not like ANZ in that it is leased and becomes home ground for 2 or 3 teams.

From what can be seen - if we play there on a regular basis we would just be playing at Parramatta's home ground.

Looks like Mick Cronin stand etc. will be put up again.

Thought it would be good initially.
Why do you say this?

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Eddie » Thu 24 May, 2018 9:20 pm

This will be a great stadium.

Would be happy to get rid of ANZ to play most our games here.

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Thu 24 May, 2018 10:20 pm

This stadium will be great but not for the Easter Monday game that has started to build a tradition and relies on the Easter show to help attract bigger numbers. When is ANZ knocked down? 2020?

User avatar
Cairnstigers
Member
Member
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 10:00 pm

Post by Cairnstigers » Thu 24 May, 2018 10:39 pm

I like the Idea of playing in the 1st Game at the new stadium against the slippery Moses
I mean Eels
Beating Parramatta in their new stadium in the 1st Game would create a welcome history for our club
Doing it in front of a sellout crowd
Even better
Bragging rights better still
But best of all
When the game has ended
Seeing Moses sitting in the middle of the field with his head in his hands uncontrollably sulking
While singing/yelling
"What about me
It isn't fair
I've had enough now I want my share"
And 30000 people watching on
Wouldn't we all like to see that

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6040
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Fri 25 May, 2018 9:54 am

the third wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 7:22 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 6:05 pm
Hmm I don't recall St George-Illawarra playing in 1986...
Pretty hard for 3 teams to play in the same game
Doesn't that stink for old Steelrs fans, basically taken over and forgotten. I know the odd commentator still says Balmain, but many more call us Wests now, so both teams still well-remembered.

But Steelers? Rarely mentioned. Illawarra is just a nod now to where they field half their juniors.

It would be cool if Saints' alternate jersey was the inverse Steelers red with white elbow banding. The colours fit, no reason to abandon it.

User avatar
glebe_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 2:19 pm

Post by glebe_tiger » Sat 26 May, 2018 9:21 am

But Steelers? Rarely mentioned. Illawarra is just a nod now to where they field half their juniors.
It's more than half, actually nearly all.

User avatar
glebe_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 2:19 pm

Post by glebe_tiger » Sat 26 May, 2018 9:25 am

Parra stadium old or new will always be ..... Parra stadium. In case people forget there is only one NRL team based and playing out that area. Could be the greatest rectangular stadium in the world but any other team will always be a visitor to that ground.

Their leagues club will still be stones throw away...will make for great pre and post game activities.... pouring money into a leagues club of an apposition team?!?

Makes no sense.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5541
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Sat 26 May, 2018 9:46 am

glebe_tiger wrote:
Sat 26 May, 2018 9:25 am
Parra stadium old or new will always be ..... Parra stadium. In case people forget there is only one NRL team based and playing out that area. Could be the greatest rectangular stadium in the world but any other team will always be a visitor to that ground.

Their leagues club will still be stones throw away...will make for great pre and post game activities.... pouring money into a leagues club of an apposition team?!?

Makes no sense.
If it makes us more money than playing at our other grounds it makes complete sense. And its not like Parra will ever do anything good with their money anyway.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5078
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Sat 26 May, 2018 10:08 am

innsaneink wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 8:57 pm
Russell wrote:
Thu 24 May, 2018 7:35 pm
This is disappointing - looks like this new stadium is just a replacement for Parramatta.

i.e. not like ANZ in that it is leased and becomes home ground for 2 or 3 teams.

From what can be seen - if we play there on a regular basis we would just be playing at Parramatta's home ground.

Looks like Mick Cronin stand etc. will be put up again.

Thought it would be good initially.
Why do you say this?
Ink - Think I was trying to say what " glebe_tiger" said only not as well.

glebe_tiger said:

"Parra stadium old or new will always be ..... Parra stadium. In case people forget there is only one NRL team based and playing out that area. Could be the greatest rectangular stadium in the world but any other team will always be a visitor to that ground.

Their leagues club will still be stones throw away...will make for great pre and post game activities.... pouring money into a leagues club of an apposition team?!?

Makes no sense."

I agreed with his summation.

User avatar
glebe_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 2:19 pm

Post by glebe_tiger » Sat 26 May, 2018 10:21 am

Atm I'm not convinced yet Parra stadium will be best move for us. If it was a new stadium being built in semi neutral territory I could warm to it but not in the middle of eels base.

Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 5136
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm

Post by Snake » Sat 26 May, 2018 11:41 am

glebe_tiger wrote:
Sat 26 May, 2018 10:21 am
Atm I'm not convinced yet Parra stadium will be best move for us. If it was a new stadium being built in semi neutral territory I could warm to it but not in the middle of eels base.
It is the Western Sydney Stadium not Parramatta stadium or until a company buys the naming rights .. this stadium is centrally located in Sydney’s West and in the middle of the WestsTigers Sydney fan bases pretty ideally situated IMO .

Post Reply