Hooker position - Thread

Wests Tigers Discussion
supercoach

Re: Hooker position

Post by supercoach » Sun 27 May, 2018 7:08 pm

Liddle is our best no9 and he will only get better by playing at NRL level week in and week out. JR is certainly went better as back up D/H than anyone else has this year

Post by 851 » Sun 27 May, 2018 7:08 pm

MissMe911 wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 6:29 pm
Stupid for JR to be at hooker.
Hes our 6
Options are Liddle, Benji, Killa
Exactly, the sooner we get Reynolds at 6 the better for everyone, Brooks will really shine with Benji out of the picture.
And Liddle, he had a huge chance today to make a statement, and he bombed it in great style.
Go hard or go home

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun 27 May, 2018 7:08 pm

Liddle must be extremely unfit, he only managed to play 31 minutes. Having to carry a starting hooker who can only play that limited amount of time is too detrimental to keep persisting with. Taking him off then putting him back on late in the game wastes 2 interchanges.

And while he was on his service was poor too. His passing from dummy half was far too slow.

I'm not sure what we do.

Reynolds was impressive from dummy half however. Maybe we persist with him for the time being.

prattenparkchild

Post by prattenparkchild » Sun 27 May, 2018 7:11 pm

I'd like to see McIlwrick at least get a game to two to see if he is the alternate solution to buying another hooker.

In some ways I'd like to see Liddle develop like Ray Brown with the Magpies and Manly as a second rower who could also play hooker. I'm just not sure on his body handling 80 minutes in the middle. When the interchange numbers are pared back surely we cant handle the luxury of having a second hooker in the interchange.

Tarl

Post by Tarl » Sun 27 May, 2018 7:13 pm

Until Benji gets injured (or steps down) what about Reynolds starting at hooker, replaced by Liddle at the 20 min mark and come back on for final 20min...

MissMe911

Post by MissMe911 » Sun 27 May, 2018 7:20 pm

Tarl wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 7:13 pm
Until Benji gets injured (or steps down) what about Reynolds starting at hooker, replaced by Liddle at the 20 min mark and come back on for final 20min...
In my opinion Benji is in until JR is fit and always has been and Im sure he is aware of it.
JR doesnt have to prove his worth, the position is his...and Benji isn't playing well enough to hold him out of it ALTHOUGH hes gone better than most expected.

Elderslie Tiger

Post by Elderslie Tiger » Sun 27 May, 2018 8:36 pm

Liddle will be good patience is required still growing into his body not 80 minutes yet but when he's on he goes well enough interchange with Reynolds/Marshall Taylor not a good options but if desperate will do.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 27 May, 2018 8:37 pm

ET is not the answer. The only guy capable of supporting Liddle is McIlwrick, but Cleary obviously isn’t a fan. I’d like to see us sign Granville.

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Sun 27 May, 2018 8:40 pm

The thing i dont like about Liddle is he doesnt play in the Moment.
He is trying to think of the next play or the one after

He isnt ready of any offloads
I can recall at least 2 from MCK where Liddle was looking elsewhere ( this is over the season, not today)

kingbrooks

Post by kingbrooks » Sun 27 May, 2018 8:52 pm

Liddle is the best option by far. He made a few mistakes (loose offload and a dropped ball) but the thing about him compared to all the other hookers like MM, Godinet, Taylor is that Liddle actually looks likely of creating something, as he plays direct and draws in the markers. Even today while he made a few mistakes and may not have created an opportunity, he did do a couple of things that made him look dangerous and he follows the ball well and does some little things. He also offers some much needed pace ina ball touching position that we need.

He is long term the answer and I am very happy to keep him in the 9.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Sun 27 May, 2018 8:57 pm

Today was odd with 3 different hookers having a run. Liddle has great service and needs time to develop his game - problem is he is the best we have. Taylor is not a hooker his service is terrible. Reynolds brings a lot of energy and gets the troops going but isn’t a long term option at 9

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Sun 27 May, 2018 9:08 pm

Many teams have been using 2 hookers to great effect. It's about time we pushed boundaries with the 3 hooker attack. It's the way of the future.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 28 May, 2018 7:47 am

Love the WestsTigers wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 8:40 pm
The thing i dont like about Liddle is he doesnt play in the Moment.
He is trying to think of the next play or the one after

He isnt ready of any offloads
I can recall at least 2 from MCK where Liddle was looking elsewhere ( this is over the season, not today)
Lacking immaturity.
Had a shocker yesterday.
He'll get there eventually.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 28 May, 2018 7:54 am

everyone has a shocker from time to time. He is still by far the best no9 in the club and yesterday he was probably the only forward who looked like making a bust. I thought JR was very good at D/H when he came on so that might be the way to go for the rest of the season

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Mon 28 May, 2018 7:57 am

Roberto Farah , don't laugh , could be ok short term , he is still better than Liddle and behind Packer and Matts could be ok , Cheap ,

Post by 2041 » Mon 28 May, 2018 8:05 am

kingbrooks wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 8:52 pm
Liddle is the best option by far. He made a few mistakes (loose offload and a dropped ball) but the thing about him compared to all the other hookers like MM, Godinet, Taylor is that Liddle actually looks likely of creating something, as he plays direct and draws in the markers. Even today while he made a few mistakes and may not have created an opportunity, he did do a couple of things that made him look dangerous and he follows the ball well and does some little things. He also offers some much needed pace ina ball touching position that we need.

Thank you. I can't believe how many people are ready to punt a 21 year old with barely 20 first-grade games to his name (and no consistent run in the team) on the basis of a mediocre game or two.

What the Tigers need at hooker, if anything, is a decent backup who can spell Liddle while he develops physically (remembering, too, that he has had major surgery and therefore no pre-season). If it's someone who can play some minutes elsewhere to maximise their interchange value, so be it. But it's not an area to spend a lot of cap room on and - more to the point - we can't be giving a long-term deal to someone who expects to play long minutes.

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 28 May, 2018 8:07 am

andrew 474 wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 7:57 am
Roberto Farah , don't laugh , could be ok short term , he is still better than Liddle and behind Packer and Matts could be ok , Cheap ,
100%
Hes too busy travelling the world watching soccer tho.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 28 May, 2018 8:08 am

2041 wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 8:05 am
kingbrooks wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 8:52 pm

Thank you. I can't believe how many people are ready to punt a 21 year old with barely 20 first-grade games to his name (and no consistent run in the team) on the basis of a mediocre game or two.

What the Tigers need at hooker, if anything, is a decent backup who can spell Liddle while he develops physically (remembering, too, that he has had major surgery and therefore no pre-season). If it's someone who can play some minutes elsewhere to maximise their interchange value, so be it. But it's not an area to spend a lot of cap room on and - more to the point - we can't be giving a long-term deal to someone who expects to play long minutes.
Mainaia Cherrington off the bench....
That'd be good.

Otherwise we have McIlwrick who has been solid.
#Unbeatable