Hooker position - Thread

Wests Tigers Discussion
hsvjones
Member
Member
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 9:26 pm

Re: Hooker position - Thread

Post by hsvjones » Wed 06 Jun, 2018 10:32 pm

Tonight just proves that we need a running dummy half... It just tears the defence apart and makes them stay tight in the middle. More time for our halves to work as well..


User avatar
happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40124
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Wed 06 Jun, 2018 10:50 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 6:03 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sun 03 Jun, 2018 10:18 am
What about Cherry Mescia ,Robbie Mears or Darren Senter ??
Cherry was hard as nails. What an underrated player Robbie Mears was.
Mate I know Senter wasn't everyone's cup of tea , but I can't think of too many blokes in that era that put their hearts and souls into the jersey like he did

I would take any of them while Liddle is recovering

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 21807
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 06 Jun, 2018 10:57 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 10:50 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 6:03 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sun 03 Jun, 2018 10:18 am
What about Cherry Mescia ,Robbie Mears or Darren Senter ??
Cherry was hard as nails. What an underrated player Robbie Mears was.
Mate I know Senter wasn't everyone's cup of tea , but I can't think of too many blokes in that era that put their hearts and souls into the jersey like he did

I would take any of them while Liddle is recovering
I remember round 1 of 2002, we played the Dogs in 30+ degree heat. He had been up all night the night before spewing his guts up with a virus. Came out that day and played probably the best game of his career. I was able to appreciate it as the same thing happened to me a week later and it floored me. Was a superhuman effort.

TIGERPOWER
Member
Member
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed 25 Apr, 2018 10:36 am

Post by TIGERPOWER » Wed 06 Jun, 2018 11:14 pm

hsvjones wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 10:32 pm
Tonight just proves that we need a running dummy half... It just tears the defence apart and makes them stay tight in the middle. More time for our halves to work as well..
We have one, his name is liddle. Just got to get him healthy and put on about 5kgs and watch him run.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 4571
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 6:10 am

TIGERPOWER wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 11:14 pm
hsvjones wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 10:32 pm
Tonight just proves that we need a running dummy half... It just tears the defence apart and makes them stay tight in the middle. More time for our halves to work as well..
We have one, his name is liddle. Just got to get him healthy and put on about 5kgs and watch him run.
He will be fine for one nine is the motto
For one eight Farah will be great, mate
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)


Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 4571
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 6:12 am

Russell wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 7:00 pm
I'd rather we play with 12 men on the field than bring him back.
Cronulla reckons that it is like playing against 14 men when Farah was against them.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 1431
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 7:28 am

hsvjones wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 10:32 pm
Tonight just proves that we need a running dummy half... It just tears the defence apart and makes them stay tight in the middle. More time for our halves to work as well..
Teams that are getting out of dummy half and engaging the markers are the ones winning. The block play is officially dead.

Our hookers arent set up for this, McIllwrick for instance was brought in to shuffle it out to Brooks and Moses. Liddle is the great white hope but we are in trouble if his body isnt right.
Its an opinion!

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 4694
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:04 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 7:30 pm
Russell wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 7:00 pm
I'd rather we play with 12 men on the field than bring him back.
Unfortunately with the present guy it often is only 12 men on the field though we are paying for 13.

He will be known as soft jaw and certain to be targeted.
Do you actually watch these games BBF or do you just look at the myriad of photos and memorabilia you have on the mantelpiece.

The guy is 21, came back with no pre-season after two shoulder reconstructions and a very bad sternum injury and has played 8 games so far this year. Make no mistake this kid can play.

I get RF is a God to you but putting rubbish on a good young player like Liddle so you can talk RF up, does nothing for your credibility.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 4571
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:27 am

Russell wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:04 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 7:30 pm
Russell wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 7:00 pm
I'd rather we play with 12 men on the field than bring him back.
Unfortunately with the present guy it often is only 12 men on the field though we are paying for 13.

He will be known as soft jaw and certain to be targeted.
Do you actually watch these games BBF or do you just look at the myriad of photos and memorabilia you have on the mantelpiece.

The guy is 21, came back with no pre-season after two shoulder reconstructions and a very bad sternum injury and has played 8 games so far this year. Make no mistake this kid can play.

I get RF is a God to you but putting rubbish on a good young player like Liddle so you can talk RF up, does nothing for your credibility.
I don' t doubt what you say at all about Jacob, as I have stated earlier he is a chip off the old block. You then claimed that the old block was full of splinters but common opinion is that it is still tough as nails. Of course Jacob is expected to be the long term answer but he hadn't done the necessary body strengthening. So strictly speaking he was not yet ready for NRL.

Now unfortunately the world does not spinning until he is ready. We don't want the 2018 season down the drain if it can be prevented. That is the only consideration.

Russ mate, you got into the mud first by saying they are better off with only 12 players - if you can't take it then don't dish it out. Still love youse all.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Bozo97
Member
Member
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue 12 Apr, 2016 10:57 am

Post by Bozo97 » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 10:32 am

What about bringing back our old buddy Manaia Cherrington. Wasnt he supposed to be the next big then for us and then never really got the chance to deliver, I liked him as a player and Yes he probably thought he was bigger then the club at times, but he had potential. Where is he now, Not even playing ISP for the Warriors so many would say hes not worth it, But he could hardly do any worse then what we've got going on at the moment

User avatar
851
Member
Member
Posts: 6016
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:38 pm

Post by 851 » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 11:06 am

Seantice wrote:
Tue 29 May, 2018 5:26 pm
Liddle is in and out through injuries. We can't just assume he's going to be fully fit and come good. Shame we couldn't nab Wayde Egan from panthers. That kid can play..
He is my mates son
Go hard or go home

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 4694
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 1:08 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:27 am
Russell wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:04 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 7:30 pm
Russell wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 7:00 pm
I'd rather we play with 12 men on the field than bring him back.
Unfortunately with the present guy it often is only 12 men on the field though we are paying for 13.

He will be known as soft jaw and certain to be targeted.
Do you actually watch these games BBF or do you just look at the myriad of photos and memorabilia you have on the mantelpiece.

The guy is 21, came back with no pre-season after two shoulder reconstructions and a very bad sternum injury and has played 8 games so far this year. Make no mistake this kid can play.

I get RF is a God to you but putting rubbish on a good young player like Liddle so you can talk RF up, does nothing for your credibility.
I don' t doubt what you say at all about Jacob, as I have stated earlier he is a chip off the old block. You then claimed that the old block was full of splinters but common opinion is that it is still tough as nails. Of course Jacob is expected to be the long term answer but he hadn't done the necessary body strengthening. So strictly speaking he was not yet ready for NRL.

Now unfortunately the world does not spinning until he is ready. We don't want the 2018 season down the drain if it can be prevented. That is the only consideration.

Russ mate, you got into the mud first by saying they are better off with only 12 players - if you can't take it then don't dish it out. Still love youse all.
If it makes you feel better.....

Pile it on BBF - I can take it.

Had experts pile it on over the years, I'm still standing.

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 6946
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by supercoach » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 1:26 pm

For all the Liddle knockers, if he went on the open market now there would be plenty pf high profile clubs after his signature. The Storm wanted him as Smith's under study and they have a pretty good idea on football talent. Also the chooks were sniffing around as Friend is on the slide.

The kid will be a real class no9, but this year might just be about getting his body back in order

User avatar
cktiger
Member
Member
Posts: 3448
Joined: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:37 am

Post by cktiger » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 2:07 pm

Russell wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:04 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 7:30 pm
Russell wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 7:00 pm
I'd rather we play with 12 men on the field than bring him back.
Unfortunately with the present guy it often is only 12 men on the field though we are paying for 13.

He will be known as soft jaw and certain to be targeted.
Do you actually watch these games BBF or do you just look at the myriad of photos and memorabilia you have on the mantelpiece.

The guy is 21, came back with no pre-season after two shoulder reconstructions and a very bad sternum injury and has played 8 games so far this year. Make no mistake this kid can play.

I get RF is a God to you but putting rubbish on a good young player like Liddle so you can talk RF up, does nothing for your credibility.
Cmon Russ ... you, of all people, can't talk of credibility.
I agree with you that Liddle can play, and is our future no 9.
Also recall you, in a never ending loop, saying how wonderful Mitch Moses was and how we could build the club around him.... until he left and, in the blink of an eye, became a talentless bum you were glad to be rid of.

prattenparkchild
Member
Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun 07 May, 2017 1:10 pm

Post by prattenparkchild » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 2:21 pm

supercoach wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 1:26 pm
For all the Liddle knockers, if he went on the open market now there would be plenty pf high profile clubs after his signature. The Storm wanted him as Smith's under study and they have a pretty good idea on football talent. Also the chooks were sniffing around as Friend is on the slide.

The kid will be a real class no9, but this year might just be about getting his body back in order
So you're prepared to write the season off for player? A player whose reliability is in severe doubt due to niggling injuries? I'm not in any way saying get rid of him. I too think he is potentially future class for the team. BUT..... for this season, at least, we need someone that can stand in for him. We have a limited opportunity of 2 and bit further weeks before the window closes to get a back up hooker that Cleary would want. The existing ones in McIlwrick and Godinet for whatever reasons cant do it. It is not good enough to continue the ad hoc nature of filling the position until / if Liddle comes good injury and strength wise.

I dont think we should willingly write off a season for one player.
Last edited by prattenparkchild on Thu 07 Jun, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2932
Joined: Thu 06 Apr, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: Tweed Heads

Post by Tweed Tiger » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 2:24 pm

Wonder how many minutes Liddle will see in ISP considering Killer is in the team also

tonza
Member
Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun 04 Mar, 2018 10:50 am

Post by tonza » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:19 pm

Was McIllwrick contract extension done by JT or Ivan. Surprised Liddle is even playing in ISP considering the Sternum Injury.
Last edited by tonza on Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Balmain Boy
Member
Member
Posts: 3171
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:22 pm

Post by Balmain Boy » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:19 pm

Tweed Tiger wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 2:24 pm
Wonder how many minutes Liddle will see in ISP considering Killer is in the team also
Don't see how that comes into it. Liddle starts and plays as long as he can. MMCW comes on if/when the Liddle needs a break. Matt could even play a bit of lock if needs be or drop out altogether

Post Reply