Hooker position - Thread

Wests Tigers Discussion
Nucky Thompson

Re: Hooker position - Thread

Post by Nucky Thompson » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 5:39 pm

tonza wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:19 pm
Was McIllwrick contract extension done by JT or Ivan. Surprised Liddle is even playing in ISP considering the Sternum Injury.
Ivan

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 5:48 pm

Russell wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:04 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 7:30 pm
Russell wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 7:00 pm
I'd rather we play with 12 men on the field than bring him back.
Unfortunately with the present guy it often is only 12 men on the field though we are paying for 13.

He will be known as soft jaw and certain to be targeted.
Do you actually watch these games BBF or do you just look at the myriad of photos and memorabilia you have on the mantelpiece.

The guy is 21, came back with no pre-season after two shoulder reconstructions and a very bad sternum injury and has played 8 games so far this year. Make no mistake this kid can play.

I get RF is a God to you but putting rubbish on a good young player like Liddle so you can talk RF up, does nothing for your credibility.
Agree .... Liddle will be our long term answer.
I feel that he just was not either physically or mentally ready for first grade this year.
Good off season with carefully managed build up physically .... and you will see that we have a good player in making. I really think that his confidence is way down.
As far as RF .... I am a fan for simple reason that he would be v good short term solution.

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 5:48 pm

cktiger wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 2:07 pm
Russell wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:04 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 7:30 pm
Russell wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 7:00 pm
I'd rather we play with 12 men on the field than bring him back.
Unfortunately with the present guy it often is only 12 men on the field though we are paying for 13.

He will be known as soft jaw and certain to be targeted.
Do you actually watch these games BBF or do you just look at the myriad of photos and memorabilia you have on the mantelpiece.

The guy is 21, came back with no pre-season after two shoulder reconstructions and a very bad sternum injury and has played 8 games so far this year. Make no mistake this kid can play.

I get RF is a God to you but putting rubbish on a good young player like Liddle so you can talk RF up, does nothing for your credibility.
Cmon Russ ... you, of all people, can't talk of credibility.
I agree with you that Liddle can play, and is our future no 9.
Also recall you, in a never ending loop, saying how wonderful Mitch Moses was and how we could build the club around him.... until he left and, in the blink of an eye, became a talentless bum you were glad to be rid of.
Now, now - don't recall calling him a talentless bum.

Did say he could be anything, and they could build a club around him - yes.

It was not a blink of an eye, but over quite a few weeks of watching and listening to a "drama" unfold.

However that was before he went off the rails, crapped on about a mental disorder because we wouldn't let him go and then worst of all tanked in games.

I think I was entitled to change my mind about him - to maintain credability.

Still think he is a massive talent - but his head is getting in the way and probably always will.

You are saying I was incorrect in changing my mind about him?

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 5:57 pm

I think Ivan is looking at it with Liddle out there is room for one of the below.

Reynolds v Killer v Pita

None have shown they can give quality service for 80 minutes which is not surprising.

And Reynolds wins because he offers more in attack and ENERGY.

Hopefully we get 60 minutes from Reynols this week and Liddle plays a good game in ISP.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:31 pm

Tweed Tiger wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 5:57 pm
I think Ivan is looking at it with Liddle out there is room for one of the below.

Reynolds v Killer v Pita

None have shown they can give quality service for 80 minutes which is not surprising.

Hopefully we get 60 minutes from Reynols this week and Liddle plays a good game in ISP.
Ill add one more
Reynolds v Killer v Pita v Marshall
To me Marshall upgrades the 9 so much more then Pita. He can do everything that Pita can and I reckon his body has adjusted to the knocks of league a little better.

Reynolds, Unless he actually trains there and really gives it a go I don't think he can take the position. We hired him as an energetic gritty 5/8 who can't really pass. At hooker he has the energy for it (Except he doesn't from our experience of him playing there) But we don't want a hooker who can't get the ball to Brooks or the 5/8.

There are some Great running Hookers, Farah would have to be one of the best running hookers. Clearly our record against Melbourne has benefited because Farah could take on Smith (not equal him, but take him on). Damien Cook has that great grit to him and that running game with a great pass.

If were not going to put Marshall at 9, and we should even if he goes there from the Bench. Then we need to teach Killer how to pass. He is our only option.

tonza

Post by tonza » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 5:43 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 5:39 pm
tonza wrote:
Was McIllwrick contract extension done by JT or Ivan. Surprised Liddle is even playing in ISP considering the Sternum Injury.
Ivan
If thats the case, you would have to wonder whether McIllwricks form has deteriorated that much in Ivans eyes, or is there some other reason for his exclusion.

Post by 851 » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 5:52 pm

colmcd wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:31 pm
Tweed Tiger wrote:

Reynolds v Killer v Pita

Ill add one more
To me Marshall upgrades the 9 so much more then Pita. He can do everything that Pita can and I reckon his body has adjusted to the knocks of league a little better.

Reynolds, Unless he actually trains there and really gives it a go I don't think he can take the position. We hired him as an energetic gritty 5/8 who can't really pass. At hooker he has the energy for it (Except he doesn't from our experience of him playing there) But we don't want a hooker who can't get the ball to Brooks or the 5/8.

There are some Great running Hookers, Farah would have to be one of the best running hookers. Clearly our record against Melbourne has benefited because Farah could take on Smith (not equal him, but take him on). Damien Cook has that great grit to him and that running game with a great pass.

If were not going to put Marshall at 9, and we should even if he goes there from the Bench. Then we need to teach Killer how to pass. He is our only option.
Reynolds was just on the news talking about playing hooker, he said " People think I have played a lot of hooker and know the position", he said " That is not true, I don't know the position at all".
All the more reason to get him to six ASAP, plus Benji has gone back to old Benji 6 weeks ago and is holding us back :x
Go hard or go home

Tigertail

Post by Tigertail » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 10:10 pm

If there not going to get a hooker from outside, possibly they should consider Braden Robson. He always impresses when he comes on and plays hooker. He can also play any position in the backline.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 10:25 pm

tonza wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 5:43 pm
Nucky Thompson wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 5:39 pm
tonza wrote:
Ivan
If thats the case, you would have to wonder whether McIllwricks form has deteriorated that much in Ivans eyes, or is there some other reason for his exclusion.
Either way it was a bad extension

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 10:27 pm

851 wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 5:52 pm
colmcd wrote:
Tweed Tiger wrote:

Reynolds v Killer v Pita

Ill add one more

Reynolds was just on the news talking about playing hooker, he said " People think I have played a lot of hooker and know the position", he said " That is not true, I don't know the position at all".
All the more reason to get him to six ASAP, plus Benji has gone back to old Benji 6 weeks ago and is holding us back :x
Yep

Chipofftheoldblock

Post by Chipofftheoldblock » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 3:43 am

I thought this position might come back and bite us. Throwing all your eggs into Liddle was not the answer until his body is NRL ready and can handle the weekly rigors or NRL.
Therefore the below would be ideal:
* Matt Parcels (Leeds) has had 2 great seasons with Leeds and playing week in footy with a decent side. Good explosive power from DH and decent defender. Very fit and plays long minutes
* Adam Milner (Castleford) - stocky young hooker who can play lock. Very tough player, hard defender
* Kurt Baptiste - quick out of DH, decent defender, not having much game time with Rorters
*Danny Levi - once again good speed off the mark, eyes up player. I think he is actually decent player that would not break the bank and is an upgrade to Matt McIlwrick who is out of favor and Pita Godinet who is just a terrible player and a poor signing.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 11:23 am

851 wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 5:52 pm
colmcd wrote:
Tweed Tiger wrote:

Reynolds v Killer v Pita

Ill add one more

He said it with a smile on his face, and also said he’s enjoying the role.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 11:35 am

Bad decision playing Reynolds at hooker ,Marshall is struggling and there is no attack ...Reynolds needs to be at 5/8 as soon as possible. Liddle is not ready bit the bullet and play MM there at least that is his position....Reynolds at hooker is a dumb move.

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 11:38 am

Snake wrote:
Sat 09 Jun, 2018 11:35 am
Bad decision playing Reynolds at hooker ,Marshall is struggling and there is no attack ...Reynolds needs to be at 5/8 as soon as possible. Liddle is not ready bit the bullet and play MM there at least that is his position....Reynolds at hooker is a dumb move.
His energy helped us win the first game he came back and we lost the 2nd game by 2 points. Yep it was a really dumb move :crazy

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 11:40 am

upthetigers wrote:
Sat 09 Jun, 2018 11:38 am
Snake wrote:
Sat 09 Jun, 2018 11:35 am
His energy helped us win the first game he came back and we lost the 2nd game by 2 points. Yep it was a really dumb move :crazy
The word that sticks out is LOST!again LOST!

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 1:54 pm

Emma lawrence said that we do not want to rush liddle back to first grade and Elijah will player hooker until liddle can show he can handle 80 minutes.

Post by 851 » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 1:55 pm

Emma Lawrence just said during Wests live game coverage, ET will play hooker until Liddle can play 80 minutes
Go hard or go home

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 3:13 pm

Et will be there for ages unless we recruit.