Hooker position - Thread

Wests Tigers Discussion
colmcd

Re: Hooker position

Post by colmcd » Tue 29 May, 2018 1:03 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 7:00 pm
Lichaa if we're going to buy one.
YUK x50! Between Mitch Rein and Lichaa, I would choose James Sereyaro in a heartbeat, then Rein.
Do we have to sign all of Des's Canterbury mistakes?
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Need to persist with Liddle through his injuries though, he's got the goods he's just broken and short of a gallop at the moment.
Lets persist then. If he is injured send him away, bring him back once healed. I get what people are saying about McKillwrick, he isn't dangerous and not creating enough at Hooker. Put Marshall in for 30 minutes, anyone sees Marshall with the ball will regard him as dangerous. Just make sure the task for Marshall is clear... Pass to Reynolds or Brooks, don't go yourself pass out 10 times as much as you want to run it yourself.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Tue 29 May, 2018 1:11 pm

i'd persist with liddle- he brings a lot from DH

i don't think IC is looking at permanent answer like most here are. He's happy to take it week by week and have options in place in case of injury, suspension, out of form etc

im happy with for the next week

6. benji
7. brooks
9. liddle
13. ET
14. grub

idk what's gonna happen the week after and i don't think IC does either.

but eventually, there's gonna come a time where we can't afford to keep ET at lock only coz he doesn't bring much to the attack from there

9. ET (20 mins)
14. liddle (60 mins)

is the way to go down the track.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Tue 29 May, 2018 1:19 pm

This is no surprise - dummy half was always going to be a problem for us, especially when you compare the impact a great d/h can have on a game. Having a guy who just throws a decent pass isn't good enough - it just puts too much defensive focus on your halves.

We have been fortunate in a way, that MM held his own their for a while, but Liddle has looked underdone for a long time and his injuries have slowed his progress to a point now where the shortfall in that key position has become much more obvious.

Watching Granville recently - he isn't the same player that he was a couple of seasons ago. Not sure if he is past it or if he can come good in a fresh environment.

It seems that for Reynolds to fit into the 17, Hooker is the only option. He is not ready to take the 6 off Benji and not sure that he would do as good a job overall from a contribution perspective. Him and Liddle both need game time and I think Ivan will stick with this formation for a while.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 29 May, 2018 1:31 pm

colmcd wrote:
Tue 29 May, 2018 1:03 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
YUK x50! Between Mitch Rein and Lichaa, I would choose James Sereyaro in a heartbeat, then Rein.
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Need to persist with Liddle through his injuries though, he's got the goods he's just broken and short of a gallop at the moment.
Lets persist then. If he is injured send him away, bring him back once healed. I get what people are saying about McKillwrick, he isn't dangerous and not creating enough at Hooker. Put Marshall in for 30 minutes, anyone sees Marshall with the ball will regard him as dangerous. Just make sure the task for Marshall is clear... Pass to Reynolds or Brooks, don't go yourself pass out 10 times as much as you want to run it yourself.
Lichaa at Canterbury was a Des mistake. Lichaa prior to Canterbury was an up and coming good hooker, and he showed a glimpse of that form again late last year when he openly said that playing Desball would see him not gain another contract.

I personally don't rate Rein at all. Anyhow, I only think Lichaa if we're out to sign a hooker.

I think between Reynolds and Liddle we can make it work. Marshall will get murdered defending at hooker.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Demps

Post by Demps » Tue 29 May, 2018 1:54 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 29 May, 2018 1:31 pm
colmcd wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Lichaa at Canterbury was a Des mistake. Lichaa prior to Canterbury was an up and coming good hooker, and he showed a glimpse of that form again late last year when he openly said that playing Desball would see him not gain another contract.

I personally don't rate Rein at all. Anyhow, I only think Lichaa if we're out to sign a hooker.

I think between Reynolds and Liddle we can make it work. Marshall will get murdered defending at hooker.
Agree.
Liicha > Rein

Thoughts on Parcell?
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 29 May, 2018 2:18 pm

Demps wrote:
Tue 29 May, 2018 1:54 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 29 May, 2018 1:31 pm
colmcd wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:

Agree.
Liicha > Rein

Thoughts on Parcell?
Didn't see much of him before he left for England. He only played about a dozen games here didn't he?

From what I've seen he's playing pretty well for Leeds though.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 29 May, 2018 5:21 pm

Liddle was fine...

He threw an intercept to an ex-team mate who called for it after he made half a break.

He than was called for a knock on which wasn't. Went 1.5m backwards! His service is much better than any other hooker we have.

The whole team passed the ball poorly on the weekend . Way too many slow, high passes behind players. Fitness is Liddle's main issue at the moment.

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 29 May, 2018 5:25 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Tue 29 May, 2018 5:21 pm
Liddle was fine...

He threw an intercept to an ex-team mate who called for it after he made half a break.

He than was called for a knock on which wasn't. Went 1.5m backwards! His service is much better than any other hooker we have.

The whole team passed the ball poorly on the weekend . Way too many slow, high passes behind players. Fitness is Liddle's main issue at the moment.
Nailed it BB - good post.

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Tue 29 May, 2018 5:26 pm

Liddle is in and out through injuries. We can't just assume he's going to be fully fit and come good. Shame we couldn't nab Wayde Egan from panthers. That kid can play..

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 29 May, 2018 5:30 pm

Lichaa would do me.

Better than anyone else available - ruined by Des.

Makes great runs from DH. Good passing game. Would be cheap.

willow

Post by willow » Tue 29 May, 2018 5:55 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Tue 29 May, 2018 12:50 pm
willow wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 7:54 pm
Liddle is currently carrying an injury plus he's coming back from not one but two shoulder reconstructions - that takes time, particularly for a young bloke to hit top form. He's worth persisting with.
Whats the current injury
Sternum is still bothering him

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 29 May, 2018 6:07 pm

willow wrote:
Tue 29 May, 2018 5:55 pm
Nucky Thompson wrote:
Tue 29 May, 2018 12:50 pm
willow wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 7:54 pm
Liddle is currently carrying an injury plus he's coming back from not one but two shoulder reconstructions - that takes time, particularly for a young bloke to hit top form. He's worth persisting with.
Whats the current injury
Sternum is still bothering him
He looked in pain trying to clap his hands during the team song. I couldn't imagine it getting better while still playing.

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Tue 29 May, 2018 6:40 pm

some experts here cannot recognise real talent :bash Liddle is franchise player,
with Cook the best NSW hooker by miles :sign:

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Tue 29 May, 2018 6:49 pm

Hopefully the injury isn't to serious, we will need him for the run home to make the top 8.

prattenparkchild

Post by prattenparkchild » Tue 29 May, 2018 7:10 pm

As I was trying to allude to in the original post, Liddle seems to be having a hard time recovering from his injuries at this stage. If we are to give the finals a good shake at getting in to the final 8, we need coverage for time he isnt on the field. The alternate players we have do not seem to have been able enough, ok as a stop gap in most instances but not if we are to be a serious contender for the final 8.

Maybe we should try to recruit a hooker that suits Cleary's thoughts before 30 June? I too agree Liddle has the potential to be a good / great hooker for us, but at present he is having trouble getting and staying on the field.

And- a big no to any thought of Farah filling in.

Demps

Post by Demps » Wed 30 May, 2018 8:49 am

colmcd wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Did u watch any of the Lebanon games in the world cup?
Lichaa was great.

Hes better than Rein.
As mentioned, Des stifled his natural game. Just wanted him to pass and not run.

Once the leash was off he was good.
With the right coach he can be great.

The doggies have been ruining the guy.
If he signs elsewhere he will carve up.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Demps

Post by Demps » Wed 30 May, 2018 8:50 am

prattenparkchild wrote:
Tue 29 May, 2018 7:10 pm
As I was trying to allude to in the original post, Liddle seems to be having a hard time recovering from his injuries at this stage. If we are to give the finals a good shake at getting in to the final 8, we need coverage for time he isnt on the field. The alternate players we have do not seem to have been able enough, ok as a stop gap in most instances but not if we are to be a serious contender for the final 8.

Maybe we should try to recruit a hooker that suits Cleary's thoughts before 30 June? I too agree Liddle has the potential to be a good / great hooker for us, but at present he is having trouble getting and staying on the field.

And- a big no to any thought of Farah filling in.
Logical post.
All facts.
#Unbeatable

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 30 May, 2018 9:38 am

Sternum trauma/injury takes forever to get over.
#penaltyTigers