Hooker position - Thread

Wests Tigers Discussion
Seantice

Re: Hooker position

Post by Seantice » Wed 30 May, 2018 9:54 am

Absolutely no to Lichaa. He cannot pass, and that is the first thing you want in your hooker.

Demps

Post by Demps » Wed 30 May, 2018 9:56 am

Seantice wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 9:54 am
Absolutely no to Lichaa. He cannot pass, and that is the first thing you want in your hooker.
You watch much league?
That's all Des had him doing....
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Wed 30 May, 2018 10:02 am

Demps wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 8:49 am
colmcd wrote:
Tue 29 May, 2018 1:03 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Mon 28 May, 2018 7:00 pm
Lichaa if we're going to buy one.
YUK x50! Between Mitch Rein and Lichaa, I would choose James Sereyaro in a heartbeat, then Rein.
Do we have to sign all of Des's Canterbury mistakes?
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Need to persist with Liddle through his injuries though, he's got the goods he's just broken and short of a gallop at the moment.
Lets persist then. If he is injured send him away, bring him back once healed. I get what people are saying about McKillwrick, he isn't dangerous and not creating enough at Hooker. Put Marshall in for 30 minutes, anyone sees Marshall with the ball will regard him as dangerous. Just make sure the task for Marshall is clear... Pass to Reynolds or Brooks, don't go yourself pass out 10 times as much as you want to run it yourself.
Did u watch any of the Lebanon games in the world cup?
Lichaa was great.

Hes better than Rein.
As mentioned, Des stifled his natural game. Just wanted him to pass and not run.

Once the leash was off he was good.
With the right coach he can be great.

The doggies have been ruining the guy.
If he signs elsewhere he will carve up.
Lichaa was an enormous talent at the Sharks. I remember watching him run freely against out team from dummy half. He made a poor career choice going to the Dogs. IC can put the polish back on him and if he is under contract the Dogs may chip in (again).

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 30 May, 2018 10:09 am

Demps wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 9:56 am
Seantice wrote:
You watch much league?
Must have missed the Dogs games...
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Demps

Post by Demps » Wed 30 May, 2018 11:16 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 10:02 am
Demps wrote:
colmcd wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
YUK x50! Between Mitch Rein and Lichaa, I would choose James Sereyaro in a heartbeat, then Rein.
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Need to persist with Liddle through his injuries though, he's got the goods he's just broken and short of a gallop at the moment.
Lets persist then. If he is injured send him away, bring him back once healed. I get what people are saying about McKillwrick, he isn't dangerous and not creating enough at Hooker. Put Marshall in for 30 minutes, anyone sees Marshall with the ball will regard him as dangerous. Just make sure the task for Marshall is clear... Pass to Reynolds or Brooks, don't go yourself pass out 10 times as much as you want to run it yourself.
Lichaa was great.

Hes better than Rein.
As mentioned, Des stifled his natural game. Just wanted him to pass and not run.

Lichaa was an enormous talent at the Sharks. I remember watching him run freely against out team from dummy half. He made a poor career choice going to the Dogs. IC can put the polish back on him and if he is under contract the Dogs may chip in (again).
100%
Would he a great buy.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Demps

Post by Demps » Wed 30 May, 2018 11:17 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 10:09 am
Demps wrote:
Seantice wrote:
You watch much league?
Must have missed the Dogs games...
Lol. Must of.
#Unbeatable

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Wed 30 May, 2018 12:00 pm

Demps wrote:
colmcd wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Lichaa was great.

Hes better than Rein.

Well many players were great on the world stage.
Naquama was fantastic and a GUN at fullback for Fiji. He has been good for us and hey I am a huge fan.
But, while he was good for us. He was no GUN center in the NRL.

If we want a Running halfback, why not McKillwrick? Seriously he outdefends and outperforms Lichaa in many ways.
But if we don't want that (and we don't), then we need someone who passes. Liddle with a mix of Benji from reserves.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Wed 30 May, 2018 2:13 pm

Demps wrote:
Seantice wrote:
You watch much league?
Facts speak for themselves. The dogs swapped Ennis for Lichaa and punted Hodkinson for Mbye as halfback. Suddenly they TANKED in a major way. The worst thing we could do is buy Lichaa and Mbye together. The Dogs tried it to death and failed it to death. I watched dogs pretty often, I haven't seen LIchaa do anything good on the field. He is probably a good running hooker.

We don't need a running hooker. We need a passing hooker that can combine with Brooks.

Why are we buying Doggie rejects?

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Wed 30 May, 2018 8:13 pm

colmcd wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 2:13 pm
Demps wrote:
Seantice wrote:
You watch much league?
Facts speak for themselves. The dogs swapped Ennis for Lichaa and punted Hodkinson for Mbye as halfback. Suddenly they TANKED in a major way. The worst thing we could do is buy Lichaa and Mbye together. The Dogs tried it to death and failed it to death. I watched dogs pretty often, I haven't seen LIchaa do anything good on the field. He is probably a good running hooker.

We don't need a running hooker. We need a passing hooker that can combine with Brooks.

Even qld want Canterbury’s rejects. Must be a really bad reject to be made qlds 18th man.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Wed 30 May, 2018 8:26 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 10:02 am
Demps wrote:
colmcd wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Lichaa was great.

Hes better than Rein.

Ennis made comment on lichaa that sharks always thought his passing from dummy half was poor inferring why they let him go.

Turned out well for sharks.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Wed 30 May, 2018 8:29 pm

colmcd wrote:
Wed 30 May, 2018 2:13 pm
Demps wrote:
Seantice wrote:
You watch much league?

Agree with everything except your last paragraph.

Like Reynolds if can stay injury free and mbye.

Gus 22

Post by Gus 22 » Thu 31 May, 2018 5:08 pm

With all the recent talk of lacking a consistent long term hooker, I don't see why Reynolds wouldn't be considered for the role. There are many advantages for both the team and Reynolds himself if he could transition there permanently. Those advantages being:

- Everything Reynolds is already good at (energy, competitiveness, grit, kicking, defence, judicious running) are attributes an above average hooker needs.

- Keeps Benji & Brooks in the halves (which is now a settled combination)for the remainder of 2018. the only question mark for me at the moment is the service out of dummy half. I haven't seen enough of it to fairly judge yet, but this can be developed in any case.

- Allows for a possible dream halves combo of Brooks & Cleary from as early as possibly next year.

- Allows Liddle to be used in a way that suits the team (& Liddle himself) best, i.e - off the bench for a couple of 15 minute spells, darting out of dummy half against tiring ruck defenders late in each half. Also will take less of a toll on Liddle's body which is clearly vulnerable against NRL sized opponents at the moment.

If Nathan Cleary was to decide to join Dad Ivan at the Tigers, it is likely that Gould would let Cleary go a year early so Penrith could get on with life after N Cleary. He's let good players that were not in Penrith's long term plans go before. All of this is to say that we could possibly end up with the following spine in 2020. If this were to eventuate, then it would be a case of, "look out, here we go!"

1. Mbye
6/7. Brooks
6/7. Cleary
9. Reynolds
14. Liddle
Last edited by Gus 22 on Thu 31 May, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Thu 31 May, 2018 5:19 pm

$700k for second string hooker?

yeti

Post by yeti » Thu 31 May, 2018 5:31 pm

Not sure his body would handle it either. Tough gig being a '9'.

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 31 May, 2018 5:41 pm

Main attribute of a DH is his passing - at this stage he is not good enough.

Liddy

Post by Liddy » Thu 31 May, 2018 5:53 pm

He doesn't have the size or the frame to handle a middle role.

A big no from me.

Gus 22

Post by Gus 22 » Thu 31 May, 2018 6:00 pm

larrycorowa wrote:
Thu 31 May, 2018 5:19 pm
$700k for second string hooker?
I'm saying he's a first string hooker.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Thu 31 May, 2018 6:01 pm

Lets see how he handles the game on Sunday as I am sure he will be playing more minutes.

JWH and Taukeiaho will be looking for him so it will be interesting.